Main Menu

Fark Me

Started by The F.A.R.K., February 07, 2013, 05:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The F.A.R.K.

This is a writeup on those mids who arent quite mid pricer, arent quite premium...but are still on everyones lips. At the momennt were all taling bout Fyfe, S.Selwod being bargains but I also rekon Brad Ebert is gonna flowering explode like a 40 year old virgin on his first time ;)

Lets compare the 3 as everyone is wanting that cheaper mid who is on verge of premo status. Think its compulsory to start 1 of these 3

Fyfe

Games: 56
2011 Average: 98.3 (21 games)
2012 Average: 89.0 (9 games)
2012 Tons: 3 (124, 109, 111)
Lowest Score: 22 *Injury affected
Farks Say: In the 450k's Fyfe seems a very good bargain. Priced at an Average of 89 he will definately beat that after an injury affected 2012. If you take out his injury game of 22 Fyfe averaged 97 in 2012. Was looking at 100+ average in 2012 before that injury but I think his shoulder reco will set him back a bit in 2013, little like Barlow with his leg. That long outta the game will affect his scores this year slightly. He is a consistent scorer but the problem is there are a lot of 80s and 90s, and his cieling isnt high enough to even these out. Id predict an average of 92 at a minimum, Max average of 114 and my predicted average is 97.
Things that worry me: Shoulder, Consistency, both Pearces playing more mid time
Things that excite me: Has put on some kg of muscle, was a high brownlow poller, returned from shoulder well

S.Selwood
Games: 101
2011 Average: 87.1 (22 games)
2012 Average: 97.1 (22 games)
2012 Tons: 10 (131, 150, 102, 125, 106, 106, 116, 102, 144, 117)
Lowest Score: 60
Farks Say: He mght not be as popular as his big brother (no not troy haha) but Scooter has breakout written all over him. Added 10 ppg to his average in 2012 reckon he has the ability to add that again in 2013...but can he turn ability into results? His upside is he has a decent cieling with a 150, 144 and 131...the downside is he can be inconsistent. The real premium dt midfielders might score 15-18 tons a year but Scott only managed 10 in 2012. Can he turn some of those 60 and 70 games into 100s? If he can do this he will without a doubt be in the top 6 mids come years end. Now everyone has been saying Wellingham to West Coast will free Scooter up and Wellingham will play as a tagger :s People think this will improve Selwoods scoring but looking back at his 2012 season Scott averaged 99.6 in the 12 games he had free reins of the midfield and averaged 94.2 in the 10 games when he was tagger. A 5ppg difference is it because of tagging or is it because the 10 games when he was tagging included 2 games vs Collingwood, 1 game vs Geelong, 1 game vs Adelaide and 1 game vs Hawthorn. The 12 games when he wasnt tagging he played the likes of Melbounre, GWS, Richmond and Western Bulldogs. I honestly think tagging or not tagging will play little effect on selwoods dream team scores, it was just a coincidence that when scotter tagged wce were playing the harder teams. But anyways weve sorted that out the big question to ask is can he do it? Can he push into premium status? While i would love to say yes im gonna come straight out and say no. Nothing against Scott he will become a quality player, but dream team wise I dont think we will see much improvement this year. Wce have a strong midfield, Priddis, Gaff, Shey, Wellingham, Rosa ect. yet none of these players are premium mids in dream team. Also the midfield overperformed in dreamteam last year. Shuey, Gaff, Rosa all exceeded everyones expectations and It makes me think can they back it up in 2013? Relate this to Selwood, if the mids did overperform and in 2013 they drop back a gear will Scott lose some points off his average. It will all depend on how wce play as a team, last year they suprised a few and finished higher than expected and are suddenly back in premiership contention. Anywho this is a pretty big write up and I think you have got the jist of my ideas. Minimum average Id say 94, Maximum average id say 109, predicted average will be 99.
What worries me: Might have overperformed last year, Inconsistency
What excites me: Starting to hit his dt prime (23 years old), High ceiling, missed 2 games in 3 years

Ebert
Games: 108
2011 Average: 62.2 (21 games)
2012 Average: 99.36 (22 games)
2012 Tons: 9 (125, 123, 100, 114, 124, 117, 112, 104, 108)
Farks Say: Most expensive of the bunch but for good reason. Ebert scored 9 tons, 1 less than Selwood, but still managed an average greater than selwoods. Consistency is the big word. While he only had 9 tons, he had 7 games of 90+. Considering it was hi first year at a new club, not any new club tho one of the bottom 3 clubs in the league, yet he managed to achieve and average close as they come to 100. Before 2012 Eberts best season was 2010 with an average of 81.5. 2012 found Ebert on the outer at West Coast with a lot of mids at the club and a new role in the team which brang about a lot of 30s and 40s in his scoring. Now in 2013 ebert heads into the home an away season as Vice Captain alongside Captain Travis Boak and with one of the most experienced midfields for its age with Broadbent, Hartlett and the new guys Wines and Mitchell. Ebert just needs to convert those 7x90s into more 100s and he will be inside the top 6 mids in the comp. I believe Ebert has what it takes to do this. Yes I am a power supporter but I am being 100% honest here. 1) He averaged 99 in his first breakout year, at a new club, who finished n the bottom 4 2) Ports midfield is on the rise and that should increase scores across the board, similiar to WCE midfielders last year 3) He has had premium midfielder in him his whole career, high draft pick, succesful junior career. The only concern for me is if players like Boak and Mitchell start firing and this reduces points from ebert. At a minimum ill say he will average 94, at a maximum he will average 116, my predicted averages is 108.
Things that worry me: Only had 1 season of decent scoring, only scored 9 tons
Things that excite me: Second year at port should find his feet and convert 90s into 100s, Port are on the up esp. its midfield

Overall
If you want the Risk go Fyfe. Has the ability to break 115+
If you want to take a smaller risk and be safer go with Selwood he will average 99/100
If you want a safe option go Ebert. He will break the 100 without reaching the heights of Pendles or Swan ect

3 mids on the verge of premium, 1 has t be in your side, who will you choose

The F.A.R.K.

p.s i dont normally do this sorta shower so enjoy it while it lasts

elephants

Hahaha very nice mate, agree with it all...

Except where you said Gaff, Shuey and Rosa over-performed. Gaff improved his output through natural improvement and experience at AFL level. He was always going to lift his output. Shuey in a similar boat. Finally injury free and was always going nudge up his fantasy scoring and he did. My man Rosa, maybe he overperformed but I reckon he can back it up. Plenty of comp in our midfield for spots so he needs to perform every game. Also, him and Embers are in career best shape ;)

Sweet writeup though dude, I have Fyfe atm.

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: elephants on February 07, 2013, 05:23:26 AM
Hahaha very nice mate, agree with it all...

Except where you said Gaff, Shuey and Rosa over-performed. Gaff improved his output through natural improvement and experience at AFL level. He was always going to lift his output. Shuey in a similar boat. Finally injury free and was always going nudge up his fantasy scoring and he did. My man Rosa, maybe he overperformed but I reckon he can back it up. Plenty of comp in our midfield for spots so he needs to perform every game. Also, him and Embers are in career best shape ;)

Sweet writeup though dude, I have Fyfe atm.

Okay they didnt overperform...they exceeded expectations. The whole wce team did. They were penciled in for bottom 8 but smashed it. But can they back it up.

Im gonna go Ebert and Fyfe. Risk it to get the biscuit and with stacks of trades if it doesnt pay off just fix it

elephants

We finished 4th in 2011, I don't think we would be pencilled in for bottom 8 in 2012 :P

hardnut

I'm on Selwood in a big way and thing he'll easily exceed the 100ppg predicted and be closer to 110ppg. Call it a hunch. I've locked him in and wont budge outside of injury.

S_Coach99

Shuey, Gaff, Rosa all exceeded everyones expectations and It makes me think can they back it up in 2013?

From someone who watched every Eagles game last year

Gaff and Shuey - Yes they can. Barring injury they will, both these players and Scooterwood are guns, at their age they will only improve this year.

Rosa - I don't rate him, plays a good game every 4-5 weeks, I question his consistency, so 2013, with the midfield competition with new midfield recruits... who knows?

I think after two prelim in a row loses, with the rise of these young guns (shuey, gaff, selwood, darling, NicNait, Wellingham, Schofield, Kennedy) and the balance of old guns (Glass, Cox, Kerr, etc), Grand Final is on the cards this year.

Adamant

Fyfe is the best value for money out of that lot, he's nearly locked in.

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: S_Coach99 on February 07, 2013, 12:11:50 PM
Shuey, Gaff, Rosa all exceeded everyones expectations and It makes me think can they back it up in 2013?

Gaff and Shuey - Yes they can. Barring injury they will, both these players and Scooterwood are guns, at their age they will only improve this year.

Rosa - I don't rate him, plays a good game every 4-5 weeks, I question his consistency, so 2013, with the midfield competition with new midfield recruits... who knows?

I think after two prelim in a row loses, with the rise of these young guns (shuey, gaff, selwood, darling, NicNait, Wellingham, Schofield, Kennedy) and the balance of old guns (Glass, Cox, Kerr, etc), Grand Final is on the cards this year.

Id pencil gaff in for a 92 average and shuey for a 97 average Rosa for a 91. Shuey and selwood were inconsistent in 2012 once they can fix that they are premos. I wrote this article late at night but the point i was really trying to push is the tagging/not tagging. Quite a few have said wellingham comes in frees up selwood and he scored better when he didnt tag...but in reality he had a pretty easy draw in first half when he didnt tag but a much harder draw in the second half when he did! For the 5pts difference in averages i dont think we can blame tagging we can blame the fixture.

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: Adamant on February 07, 2013, 12:20:43 PM
Fyfe is the best value for money out of that lot, he's nearly locked in.

Well the thing about fyfe is he brings the greatest reward. He is capable of going 110+. He ave 98 in 2011 and if ypu tale out his injury game in 2012 he ave 97. Now considerinf he tried to play through injury then came back a little earlier than expected he could have easily ave 110 last year if not for his bung shoulder. The only worry is when he returned from injury his scores were slightly down. Scored a few 80s and 90s. Ypu can put that down to being underdone but i look at barlow, 2 years after his injury and he is still struggling to get back to pre injury form. Yes he is copping more attention now but Barlow was a premo in his first year. Czn fyfe bounce back and get back to pre injury form? Id like to say yes but im still undecidec

The_Captain

Quote from: elephants on February 07, 2013, 05:36:18 AM
We finished 4th in 2011, I don't think we would be pencilled in for bottom 8 in 2012 :P

LOL the fark just makes it up as he goes. We were pencilled in for top 4 last year and got 5th. So not sure what hes on about...? Will do better than 5th this year.. Confident in that!

S_Coach99

Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on February 07, 2013, 12:32:53 PM
Quote from: S_Coach99 on February 07, 2013, 12:11:50 PM

Id pencil gaff in for a 92 average and shuey for a 97 average Rosa for a 91. Shuey and selwood were inconsistent in 2012 once they can fix that they are premos. I wrote this article late at night but the point i was really trying to push is the tagging/not tagging. Quite a few have said wellingham comes in frees up selwood and he scored better when he didnt tag...but in reality he had a pretty easy draw in first half when he didnt tag but a much harder draw in the second half when he did! For the 5pts difference in averages i dont think we can blame tagging we can blame the fixture.

Yeah you're right, I'm the same - The main question for me is this... He is such a good tagger, can WC afford for him not to be tagging when the big names (Ablett, Judd, Etc ) comes along

AFL non fantasy wise - Selwood was extremely consistent.

Fantasy wise - Selwood was inconsistent, at 23 - With Wellingham, 1 years progression and not to mentioned an actual full pre- session (were he is carving it up) - He has me sold, I think he can take a big step up this year. He got some very nice scores in the first 6 rounds when he wasn't tagging...Will Wellinghams tagging be as good and will the difference between Selwood free output compared to his tagging output be as big a difference compared the difference between wellinghams tagging ability to Selwoods, this is what I will be watching for in NAB..

Shuey will steadily progess this year, expect a small rise.

Rosa - I dunno, I just don't really warm to him, he should score ok but has a very low floor, too much of a floor for me with not enough ceiling.

elephants

Any bagging on Rosa is a reportable offence.

Please restrain.

Nige

I've got both Fyfe and Ebert. Fyfe because he's value for money and Ebert for the reasons stated in the OP.  8)

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: noto07 on February 07, 2013, 12:58:10 PM
Quote from: elephants on February 07, 2013, 05:36:18 AM

LOL the fark just makes it up as he goes. We were pencilled in for top 4 last year and got 5th. So not sure what hes on about...? Will do better than 5th this year.. Confident in that!

I dont have the stats on hand ive been having to use my phone to post on ff coz my lappy is broken and my memory is blury coz were in the middle if cricket season. Maybe it was 2011 thatwce came outta nowhere to finish high. Anyways selwoodand shuey and rosa exceeded fantasy expectations last year and can they keep it up?