Whats your take on this season regarding rookies?

Started by FOOTY IS BACK, February 05, 2013, 06:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOOTY IS BACK

The start of a new season and no new teams and the terrible sub rule................. what's your take on maybe this is not the year to load up on to many rookies? for instance lets say you have Viney and Kane mitchell as your 2 starting rookies in the mids, wouldn't it be a hell of a safer option to have a couple of mid price players on the ground such as Embley and Ball? maybe one rookie on the field in each other slot, Def, For.

If this has been spoken of can you post the link, thanks.

bowyanger

Mr.Craig

Quote from: FOOTY IS BACK on February 05, 2013, 06:52:37 PM
The start of a new season and no new teams and the terrible sub rule................. what's your take on maybe this is not the year to load up on to many rookies? for instance lets say you have Viney and Kane mitchell as your 2 starting rookies in the mids, wouldn't it be a hell of a safer option to have a couple of mid price players on the ground such as Embley and Ball? maybe one rookie on the field in each other slot, Def, For.

I would have said the opposite. You want to aim for no rookies on field in the forwards and backs.

The reality is you need rookies (particularly mid rookies) to make you the money required for a great team. The risk of poor scores/vests is just something you have to live with.

FOOTY IS BACK

mids and backs have plenty of options......... however i cant see the point having more than one rookie on the ground unless you want to get shafted every week by the sub rule (its going to happen) some teams could potentially have 3 players subbed off every round! not to mention if they keep getting subbed the whole cash cow recipe goes out the window.

FOOTY IS BACK

Quote from: FOOTY IS BACK on February 05, 2013, 07:13:33 PM
mids and backs have plenty of options......... however i cant see the point having more than one rookie on the ground unless you want to get shafted every week by the sub rule (its going to happen) some teams could potentially have 3 players subbed off every round! not to mention if they keep getting subbed the whole cash cow recipe goes out the window.

im more of the idea having 1 rookie on the ground in each spot (MAX) cash cows on the bench and 2 trades a week should be enough to build a premium team. The only spot i would even think of having 2 rookies might be in the midfield.

Ricochet

Basically at the end of the day we don't have an expansion team this year so we're gonna have to wait and see who is likely to fit into a starting 18. We were lucky last year with rookies like Greene, Conigs, JMac and co getting heaps of game time. Gonna be a lot harder to pick guys that won't get a vest, with a lot more research required and a lot more luck. It won't be any easier building a premium team even with the extra trades

Holz

for me bascially it tells me if mature age guys are named round 1 i want them in  my sqaud as they are less likely to get vests. Thats why i only have 3 premo backline.

Stevenson, Terlich ,Goodes, Pittard down back. Staker i have up front.

Im worried about mid vests so what I have done is a plan to make money from quite afew underpriced players like Syvlia, Embley, Broughton etc..

essendon2

Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 05, 2013, 07:12:25 PM
Quote from: FOOTY IS BACK on February 05, 2013, 06:52:37 PM

I would have said the opposite. You want to aim for no rookies on field in the forwards and backs.

The reality is you need rookies (particularly mid rookies) to make you the money required for a great team. The risk of poor scores/vests is just something you have to live with.
+1

tbagrocks

Good point's there guys, another reason I hate the idiot Demetriou, we just won't know what rookies will be named in week two of round one

Probably need to jump on the guys named in teams, will second year players get a go like Docherty, Brown, Kerridge, Mitchell ect

I agree with the mature strategy, if they're named then pick them, the rookie list is a worry though we should ge a Zorko, Horse and Gibson during the season

I am seriously looking at Varcoe, JJ Kennedy, Knights, Otten, Bock, Russell especially with a new rule of 44 trades, makes strategy more improtant imo, get it right you're a genious