Previous topic - Next topic

Which One?

Grimes
27 (64.3%)
Stanley
15 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Windigo

Nice DT Talk article on Gibbs Vs Stanley.

- http://dreamteamtalk.com/2013/02/05/versus-round-1-gibbs-v-stanley/

Raises some very valid points, but ultimately your gunna have a tough time of it convincing mt to select Stanley OVER Gibbs. They should have done a Grimes Vs Stanley...Lucking I'll do it.  :P

Using the Stats on Stanley from DT talk I'll do my own evaluation.

Danny Stanley                                VS                                    Jack Grimes

Price: $476,400                                                                                 
Position: Defender                                                                             
Bye Round 13                                                                                                           

Average: 92.4
Games played: 13
High score: 108
Low score: 66
No. Of 100+ scores: 5
No. Of sub 80 scores: 1

Jack Grimes: 

Price: $474,000
Position: Defender
Bye Round: 12

Average: 92
Games played: 21
High score: 135
Low score: 65 (twice)
No. Of 100+ scores: 7
No. Of sub 80 scores: 6   

Fixture Analysis   

*Taken from DT TALK.*

Danny Stanley and his boys from the Coast on the other hand, will benefit from a perfect draw reflective of their poor 2nd season in the AFL. Playing no teams from 2012’s top-8 twice, instead having double up games against 4 of the bottom-6 from 2012 â€" they’ll be given every chance to improve their ranking in 2013.

With an easily run we should see Stanley get plenty of chances to make a spot in the Suns’ midfield his own.   

Jack Grimes faces similar circumstances playing top 8 teams a total of once in the first 8 games. With games against Port, Giants & Suns. They double up on games with Lions, Giants, Suns, Cats, Freo & Dogs. Playing top 8 teams collectively only 10 times in 2013.

Scoring Potential & Consistency:

*Taken From DT Talk Article*

Danny Stanley has taken a very different path to get here, with a four game stay at Collingwood ending in 09’, leading to a year off â€" eventually ending up on the Suns’ doorstep via the 2010 Preseason Draft. Now having established himself as a solid AFL player, he has played 35 games for the Coast at an average of 84.2 per game. Heading into effectively his 3rd season of senior footy, he too is ready to step up.

In 2012 he played several games through the midfield in a variety of run-with, tagging and free roles. Tallying 5 scores of 100+ out of 13, and only one score under 80 â€" Stanley has an elite level of consistency and a potential to increase his average significantly. With reports from Queensland indicating he’ll be spending more time in the middle in 2013, a rise in average of 10 points or more is not hard to believe by any means.

Jack Grimes is arguably on one of, if not the best player at Melbourne, certainly from a DT perspective. Averaging 89 in his 2nd year, 81 in his 3rd year & 74 from his 3rd year. All from limited games. Another healthy pre-season for Jack could seem him put up very solid numbers, maybe 95+. Even 100, touted for more of a midfield role, the sky is the limit for Grimes. As long as injuries don't hold him back. The last 8 games he had an average of 104.5 which could indicate he is more comfortable with his body and is ready to carry that late form into the 2013 season.  However, Grimes had an indifferent start to the year averaging only  76 from his first 5. His ceiling is okay going over 110+ 4 times. Often takes the kickouts which means cheap +3s!

Durability & Current Health/Fitness/Offseason Reports

*Taken From DT Talk Article*

Stanley made a fantastic start to his second-career on the Gold Coast as he went onto play a full 22-game season in 2012. Due to a club-imposed suspension his season however, his second didn’t get off to the start he would’ve wanted. He did manage to force his way back into the senior side and play 13 games to finish 3rd in the club’s Best & Fairest though, which speaks volumes for his character.

Understandably, he has thus far flown under the radar during this preseason as he looks to help build up the young Suns’ outfit and take his game to the next level. Also, like Gibbs, Stanley is poised to spend more time in the guts of the ground this season after some astute off-season recruiting by the Suns that netted them regular defenders Greg Broughton and Tom Murphy. This will leave him free to roam further up the field in a more attacking role. And this, my friends is good news from a Dream Team point of view.

Grimes has a well documented past with injuries; A groin in his first year (1 game), a hip in his second year (11 games), a hamstring injury in his third year (14 games) and then his broken foot in his fourth year (6 games).

Over the last 3 seasons, Jack has only played in 62% of the games available.  :o

Was on a modified program pre-christmas.

Last year was his best season to date playing all but one game for Melbourne solidifying his spot as a premier DT back option. But his durability will be forever a concern for him for probably the rest of his career, soft tissue injuries are especially relevant for Grimes, making his selection each year a dubious one. A gamble if you will. Lighting didn't strike this year, but it can always strike again.  :o

I can't be flowered writing any more, all I can surmise is that Stanley is a legitimate replacement for Grimes if your not keen on him.  ;)

Kellogscrunchynut

Will have to go with Grimes due to last year and with 44 trades I can deal with him getting an injury. Stanley depending on how he fares this season may be an upgrade target.

Windigo

Fair point Greek, can't help but feel that Stanley is the forgotten man down back. Could be a great POD with the acquisition of Broughton & Murphy. It frees him up for more mid time. His consistency is amazing. 

pommyadam

i think you might need to update some facts here

Stanley's priced at 476400, not the 473300 (that's Gibbs)

also, didn't quite realise that Grimes had spent that much time out, i might have to reconsider him

Kellogscrunchynut

Might pick Stanley over Broughton depending on how the Suns use Greg.

Mr.Craig

I'm sure a lot of people will jump on Stanley when Grimes goes down.

Windigo

Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 05, 2013, 06:54:36 PM

Not sure if the when was on purpose or not.  :P

Master Q

Quote from: Windigo on February 05, 2013, 06:56:32 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 05, 2013, 06:54:36 PM

Not sure if the when was on purpose or not.  :P
First one I assume  :P

Grazz

Nice work windi, Stanleys certainly in the back of my mind, ive got Grimes at the minute only because of a higher ceiling but the injury worries are also at the front of my mind with Grimes. Your write up has certainly helped Stanleys chances with me and as you say very consistent and at the minute a good POD. Decisions decisions, come on NAB Cup.

Jukes

I rate Heppell over both, they all should average about the same but Heppell has a superior (aka lesser) price and more potential to go huge as he's still very young.

Great read wind, almost tl;dr but helped me survive last period :P

Nige

I don't have either, but I like Stanley a lot. I would pick him if I could fit him in.

Windigo

I honestly don't see a downside in Stanley TBH. Just many have locked in Grimes because of the hype and popularity.  :P

Nige

Quote from: Windigo on February 05, 2013, 08:16:48 PM
I honestly don't see a downside in Stanley TBH. Just many have locked in Grimes because of the hype and popularity.  :P
Would the only downside be that he lost DPP?

Grazz

Quote from: NigeyS on February 05, 2013, 08:19:37 PM

I reckon you make a good point there, he'd certainly be alot more popular if he retained dpp, was talked up a bit late last year but once he lost dpp all the talk that was about died down quickly.

Nige

Quote from: Grazz on February 05, 2013, 08:24:39 PM
Quote from: NigeyS on February 05, 2013, 08:19:37 PM

I reckon you make a good point there, he'd certainly be alot more popular if he retained dpp, was talked up a bit late last year but once he lost dpp all the talk that was about died down quickly.

Truth be told, the more I think about it, it's almost the only reason I probably have picked Broughton over him...