Ask Ziplock Pre-season

Started by Ziplock, February 04, 2013, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

not 100% sold on his JS, and he's expensive on top of that.

Chopps

yep pre nab makes sense. how about a zip take on Breust ?

Ziplock

Quote from: Chopps on February 08, 2013, 09:36:14 PM

he only tonned up once last year, but I see him as a gamble similar to dangerfield last year tbh.

he is a gamble though. That being said, hawks needs a youngster like him to step up soon, there's every chance he'll be given more midfield time.

Jay

Who gets Rnd1 captaincy gig mate? :P

Ziplock

dont think you can go beyond swan against north :P

Chopps

Quote from: Ziplock on February 08, 2013, 09:52:41 PM
Quote from: Chopps on February 08, 2013, 09:36:14 PM

he only tonned up once last year, but I see him as a gamble similar to dangerfield last year tbh.

he is a gamble though. That being said, hawks needs a youngster like him to step up soon, there's every chance he'll be given more midfield time.

think his cost is an issue though hey, when there are brynes and knights capable of the 80 mark for 100 k less

Ziplock

imo breust is a better punt if you're looking for a keeper- that being said, byrnes and knight will make more cash.

Tominator

what's the best midfield strategy in your opinion?

4 guns and 6 rookies?
3 guns and 7 rookies?
5 guns and 5 rookies?
or 4 guns, a mid-pricer (Ball) and 5 rookies?

And also, what are your takes on the whole drugs in sport Essendon saga ?

pommyadam

Stanley and Dusty
or Hanley and Sylvia

Ziplock

Quote from: pommyadam on February 09, 2013, 12:59:36 AM
Stanley and Dusty
or Hanley and Sylvia

Stanley and Sylvia?

with that combination you guarentee yourself two premiums...

if it was me though I'd back in hanley and sylvia :P

Ziplock

Quote from: Tominator on February 09, 2013, 12:56:56 AM
what's the best midfield strategy in your opinion?

4 guns and 6 rookies?
3 guns and 7 rookies?
5 guns and 5 rookies?
or 4 guns, a mid-pricer (Ball) and 5 rookies?

honestly, rookies with great JS even in the midfield are not super easy to find, and are going to be prone to the vest. At the same time, you need mid rookies for cash generation, and since a loaded midfield would ruin your otherlines.

I think 5 guns is overloading it, but I think having to field 5-4 rookies is probably pushing it.

I'm going for 5 non-rookie players in the midfield- at least 1 gun for captaincy, but after that the combination of guns/midpricers is just personal preference. ATM I have more midpricers than guns in my midfield :P

Ziplock

Quote from: Tominator on February 09, 2013, 12:56:56 AM
And also, what are your takes on the whole drugs in sport Essendon saga ?

it's obviously a really bad situation. If essendon are proven guilty, and players are identified who have taken performance enhancing drugs, I'd say ban every player who took them for the season (longer if they dont own up to it). You really need to stomp things like this hard to stop reoffending. That'll be close to the minimum penalty handed out for anyone taking banned substances (it's not going to be the AFL handing out that punishment though).

Then, presuming essendons list has been destroyed by this (keep in mind, I doubt it's the whole playing group- their older players I doubt would be taking anything, it would be an unnecessary or the players well outside of the 22 (since if they get delisted they could come forward and tell everyone about it)) the AFL may have to make some emergency special consideration concessions for essendon- for instance, allowing them to pay non-drafted players to play for  them for the year etc. If that happens though, essendon will probably lose their draft picks for the next year (otherwise it could be used as a screening process for mature aged rookies like barlow etc.).

Of course investigation would similarly have to be done in all afl clubs (as I'm sure it has been already), and the same penalties should be handed out.

Artax

Really nervous about taking Watson, Heppell or Ryder in an elite league now. Nobody will wanna get stuck with them if a ban comes ... they could slip right down the order and then not get banned at all!

Tricky one.

Ziplock

Quote from: Artax on February 09, 2013, 04:28:14 AM
Really nervous about taking Watson, Heppell or Ryder in an elite league now. Nobody will wanna get stuck with them if a ban comes ... they could slip right down the order and then not get banned at all!

Tricky one.

yeah I know.

I think the trick is to talk up how worried you are about essendon players getting banned to all your league mates, to get them worried as well. Then you should be able to take a couple of them later in the draft :P

Honestly, I don't think heppell or watson would have been on anything- although that could just be wishful thinking: watson always had the ability to be the beast he was this season, injuries just held him back... I dont think essendon would have risked  drugging him up since roids can increase the risk of some injuries. In heppells case I dont think he showed enough improvement to make me think he was doing anything either...  he hasn't put on heaps of weight either- I cant find the stats from when he was drafted, but in july 2010 he was 185 cm and 79 kg... he's now (2 and a half years later) 189 cm and 85kg- he's grown 2cm in 2.5 years but has only put on 6 kg.

once again though, could just be wishful thinking.

Ziplock