Ask Ziplock Pre-season

Started by Ziplock, February 04, 2013, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Quote from: Tominator on February 06, 2013, 02:01:30 AM
Mark LeCras at 355K... get on or am I better off grabbing Byrnes ?

and I have no idea how you have more boos than cheers Zippy    :P

Byrnes. Not sold on Lecras' scoring ability playing as a small forward and he's substantially more expensive.

Ziplock

Quote from: Chelskiman on February 06, 2013, 01:51:01 AM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 06, 2013, 01:43:27 AM

I've rated watson above cotchin because he's older... older players that break out are less likely to drop their average, and I think goddard will help him as well.

Fair enough.  Cotch seems to have put his injury worries behind him and I think he still has room for improvement, and he's already class as it is.  In my opinion he's very similar to Ablett, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pump out Ablett like scores in the very near future (maybe not this year but next).  I think he can push his average up to 115 this year.  I do think Watson is a class act though, it's why I started with him last year, but he's going to be an upgrade target for me (along with Boyd and Pendles).

I'd be more inclined to start pendles over cotchin- broke his leg and still averaged 110, but underpriced... cotch could average 115, pendles has :P

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 06, 2013, 02:06:21 AM

I do ::)
you're jealous.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Ziplock on February 06, 2013, 02:09:06 AM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on February 06, 2013, 01:52:30 AM
OK Zip I always ask you 3 questions every preseason so here is question #1.

Jordan Russell - Pick 9 in the 04 draft, wasted at Carlton, why not they wasted Gibbs and the best list in the league for years so we expect waste from Carlton - don't expect it this season they will smash it !

but i digress...

Collingwood has Shaw off half back, that's all they have, clarke meh, key defenders maxwell ,, yeah so as i said they have Shaw.

They could really use this guy, but will they? at $ 270K ish I am tempted and I've been watching this bloke for years wondering what the?

2009 - 20 games averaged 74
2010 - 23 games averaged 80
2011 - 16 games averaged 71
2012 - 7 games averaged 57

i am seriously considering starting him if he plays nab cup looks good and is named for round 1.

But what do YOU think?

I don't know if you can justify a defender who's nearly 300k and has only scraped an 80 average once... I mean it's true that he'll probably get more opportunity at the pies, their half backs aren't the same quality as carlton. If he averages 80, he'll push himself up to like 400kish, be a last defence upgrade, and make a bit of cash.

I'm just looking up his stats now for this year, my concern is that he pulled out 2 scores in the 20s, fair enough one was green vested and he scored 27 points in a quarter, but the other was red and he only had 23 points in over 3/4. His decent scores against GWS and Freo were playing more loose off HB, which is encouraging, then he had a poor score tagging goddard, another playing on callinan and another playing loose.

Basically, I think you might be right. As you said, collingwood doesnt have any really notable HBs except for shaw, and I reckon playing in that role, he could very well pull a premium average of around 85... that being said, it's nearly as likely he'll come out with an average in the low  70s, in which case you've paid an extra 160k for maybe 10 points extra on someone like docherty.

Sorry I can't be more conclusive- I'm with you, really look at him in NAB, if he plays in the same side as Shaw and seems to slot at HB, jump on if named round 1. I'd be more sceptical if shaw doesnt play nab, and if he plays a lockdown role with shaw out of the team, stay away.

thanks mate, i gave you a cheer, your not really a shower bloke and only 10 more cheers to catch the boos :) like you or anyone cares

Chelskiman

Quote from: Ziplock on February 06, 2013, 02:12:19 AM
Quote from: Chelskiman on February 06, 2013, 01:51:01 AM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 06, 2013, 01:43:27 AM

I've rated watson above cotchin because he's older... older players that break out are less likely to drop their average, and I think goddard will help him as well.

Fair enough.  Cotch seems to have put his injury worries behind him and I think he still has room for improvement, and he's already class as it is.  In my opinion he's very similar to Ablett, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pump out Ablett like scores in the very near future (maybe not this year but next).  I think he can push his average up to 115 this year.  I do think Watson is a class act though, it's why I started with him last year, but he's going to be an upgrade target for me (along with Boyd and Pendles).

I'd be more inclined to start pendles over cotchin- broke his leg and still averaged 110, but underpriced... cotch could average 115, pendles has :P

Yeah, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to start with Pendles and then aim to upgrade to Cotchin.  It is Cotchin though, and I am obviously a mad Tigers fan. :(

tbagrocks

Quote from: Ziplock on February 06, 2013, 02:13:00 AM
Quote from: tbagrocks on February 06, 2013, 02:06:21 AM

I do ::)
you're jealous.
Nah i'll catch you in boo's before you can say ... boo ;D all good mate just messing around

Nice thread man great job so far!

Colliwobblers

OK question #2 and the reason i am interested in mid priced defenders and fwds...

last season i was rook struck by the talent on offer in rook mids, took a risk and went 3 only premium mids, i struggled early as a result and swore i would never do THAT again.

now we have 8 mid slots so i am thinking i want 5 elite mids, but that costs a LOT. add to the 5 i will start ball at mid 6.

so that said the obvious fwd mid pricers i like are varcoe byrnes macaffer, what are your thoughts on nicoski? lecras is too dear.

apart from staker any other mid priced defenders you like?

NOW MY REAL QUESTION

with byes in mind.

who are your top 5 mids.

i like Beams - Swan - Ablett - Cotchin - ?

I havent looked at the byes yet tho and i am undecided on that 5th player Murphy? Selwood? (yuk) redden? watson (old) boyd (old and dear) thompson (younger kids going past him maybe this season) ?

and yes for DT i am sold 100% on beams over pendles - for SC i will go pendles but beams is my man in DT.

but yeah your top 5 considering byes?

Ziplock

Quote from: Colliwobblers on February 06, 2013, 02:25:38 AM
OK question #2 and the reason i am interested in mid priced defenders and fwds...

last season i was rook struck by the talent on offer in rook mids, took a risk and went 3 only premium mids, i struggled early as a result and swore i would never do THAT again.

now we have 8 mid slots so i am thinking i want 5 elite mids, but that costs a LOT. add to the 5 i will start ball at mid 6.

so that said the obvious fwd mid pricers i like are varcoe byrnes macaffer, what are your thoughts on nicoski? lecras is too dear.

apart from staker any other mid priced defenders you like?

NOW MY REAL QUESTION

with byes in mind.

who are your top 5 mids.

i like Beams - Swan - Ablett - Cotchin - ?

I havent looked at the byes yet tho and i am undecided on that 5th player Murphy? Selwood? (yuk) redden? watson (old) boyd (old and dear) thompson (younger kids going past him maybe this season) ?

and yes for DT i am sold 100% on beams over pendles - for SC i will go pendles but beams is my man in DT.

but yeah your top 5 considering byes?

I pederson looks ok, and I'm a fan of watts. For cheap ones... not really from memory.
nicoski is too expensive for me considering his best season average is 65, and he rarely plays a full season. JJ kennedy ftr could be an ok fwd midpricer.

Swan, Ablett, Pendles are obvious ones, I'm not sold on either beams or cotchin. I'd put Boyd up there as well, and I'm going to go with deledio. After those first three though, it's anyones guess. That set up would leave you three out in week 13, two out in week 11 and none in week 12. It's a reasonable set up eitherway :P

Artax

Thoughts on starting Kieran Jack over Cotch/Watson? GWS, GC & North in his first 3 is pretty tasty

Ziplock

Quote from: Artax on February 06, 2013, 03:51:38 AM
Thoughts on starting Kieran Jack over Cotch/Watson? GWS, GC & North in his first 3 is pretty tasty

pretty interesting unique.  My only issue with jack is just sydneys poor scoring for DT... they're very handball happy, which is a pain for DTers... think of it this way, someone averaging 30 possessions a game is pretty impressive- if they're handballs though, that's only a 60 point average for dt, while if they're kicks it's 90 points- pretty substantial difference. They're also not a strong marking team (ranked last in the comp for marks), highlighting that their movement of the ball is mostly handballs.

Cant see that style changing either :/

Jacks a reasonable punt though, at the very least he should be able to monster the first few rounds- he's the type of POD that in past years you;d get stuck with, but with unlimited trades, worth the risk if you're using the cash elsewhere.

Adamant

Hey Zip, which combo would you take?

Danny Stanley + Marc Murphy
Or
Dyson Heppell/Paul Duffield + Matthew Boyd

Ziplock

Heppell + Murphy :P

I think Murphys too cheap to pass up on if he fits your structure, while Heppell is primed to explode.

I like boyd, but murphys a good chance to post a similar average at a cheaper price, and I'm not sold on stanley after just half a season.

demon_spud

Hiya Zip,

Thoughts on Danyle Pearce, Lyin has his favourites and Clancee did well on the silk cushion he was put on last year.

How do you think he will be used at Freo? and how will this affect Duffield?

Or not consider him and just pay the extra for proven?

Ziplock

Quote from: demon_spud on February 06, 2013, 11:38:57 AM
Hiya Zip,

Thoughts on Danyle Pearce, Lyin has his favourites and Clancee did well on the silk cushion he was put on last year.

How do you think he will be used at Freo? and how will this affect Duffield?

Or not consider him and just pay the extra for proven?

look, I can see pearce boosting his average, depending on his role.... I think he'll be more used as run and carry out of the mids/ defence though? Unless he was to be dropped right into duffields role, I don't really see him affecting his scoring output detrimentally.

you can consider him, but fact he's he's what, 27? and he's never average over 75 if memory serves. He'd be a sneaky POD, but you'd want to be damn confident in him...

Justin Bieber

How are the Valks going to go this year?