Ask Ziplock Pre-season

Started by Ziplock, February 04, 2013, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blues boy

Quote from: Ziplock on February 26, 2013, 06:52:41 PM
option two then :P

Haha yeah i now have I. Maric, B. Moloney and H. Hartlett instead of S. Mumford, N. Fyfe and Vlastiun/tambling

Ziplock

Quote from: blues boy on February 26, 2013, 07:25:51 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 26, 2013, 06:52:41 PM
option two then :P

Haha yeah i now have I. Maric, B. Moloney and H. Hartlett instead of S. Mumford, N. Fyfe and Vlastiun/tambling

sweet.

I've been finding moloney realllly tempting.

I keep saying- he's not worth it, you can use the spot for someone more likely to break out into a keeper, he's like 90+ at best

but, I convinced myself of the same thing about tuck last year :/

Noz

Just cause I like keeping you busy
Shaun Atley, Ben Jacobs and Brendon Ellis

Edit: which one would you pick.

Adamant

Any forward (besides Cox, Rocky, Robbo, Cloke) + Vlastuin (D4)
OR
Varcoe + Grimes/Heppell?

Ziplock

Quote from: Noz on February 26, 2013, 10:45:36 PM
Just cause I like keeping you busy
Shaun Atley, Ben Jacobs and Brendon Ellis

Edit: which one would you pick.
Im going jacobs. He's the cheapest of the lot (from memory), and unlike his other years he's not going to be held back by injury, and he'll be playing in a stronger team than port.

all 3 are reasonable options though.

Ziplock

Quote from: Adamant on February 26, 2013, 10:49:00 PM
OR
Varcoe + Grimes/Heppell?

Apart from rocky, robbo and cox, I have very little confidence in any of the forward premiums (I would buddy, but his opening two weeks are pretty shower from his  history).

Subsequently, Grimes + Kennedy (if you can afford him- I really just don't rate varcoe :( )

Adamant

Quote from: Ziplock on February 26, 2013, 11:19:44 PM
Quote from: Adamant on February 26, 2013, 10:49:00 PM
OR
Varcoe + Grimes/Heppell?

Apart from rocky, robbo and cox, I have very little confidence in any of the forward premiums (I would buddy, but his opening two weeks are pretty shower from his  history).

Subsequently, Grimes + Kennedy (if you can afford him- I really just don't rate varcoe :( )

Yeah, I can just afford JJK. Cheers.

Money

I have downgraded a premo in my mids

Used to look like: Swan, Ablett, Pendlebury, Swallow, Murphy, Rook, Rook, Rook

Now looks like: Swan Ablett, Pendlebury, Cotchin, MOLONEY, Same rooks

Due to this my foward line looks like: Bartel (Johnson R2), Rockliff, Robinson, Martin, Varcoe, Byrnes

So my end question is even with a slighty stronger forward will i still fall behind everyone else not have 5 mid premos

Ziplock

Quote from: Money on February 27, 2013, 12:21:02 AM

Due to this my foward line looks like: Bartel (Johnson R2), Rockliff, Robinson, Martin, Varcoe, Byrnes

So my end question is even with a slighty stronger forward will i still fall behind everyone else not have 5 mid premos

no, you'll be fine. Here's a post I made on it.

Quote from: Ziplock on February 26, 2013, 01:02:12 AM
Quote from: Nails on February 25, 2013, 10:47:26 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 25, 2013, 02:15:18 AM
Quote from: Nails on February 24, 2013, 11:17:23 PM
If you want a good team, as betch ya said you need MINIMUM 4 gun mids.

Especially if going for overall rankings (the only way to go). As if you don't have enough gun mids, yes you'll score well in fwds and backs but you'll fall too far behind and not be able to catch up. You'll end up with a good team, but it'll be good at the end, not from the start which you need.

I've said this a flowering thousand times, that's not how the goddam magic number work. So long as you time your upgrades right, which will be easier with the better midfield cash cows, it doesn't matter what line you stack.

Still wrong, you need to stack mids a bit :-X

6 premo fwds and 6 premo def and only 1 prem mid as this seems to lack enough premiums even with your magic number BS.

As a standard team has like 5 premo mids, 4 premo def and 4 premo fwd.

Therefore a standard power midfield = same amount of premos, but your mid premos are are scoring you more. You don't really get MORE premiums that way, which is what you need.

You are so unbelievably wrong.

ok, 2 teams. I'm going to use the averages from last year for the premiums, and assume the following averages
back rookies: 70/65/60/55/55/55 etc.
mid rookies: 95/90/85/80/75/70/70/70 etc.
forward rookies: 80/75/70/65/65/65 etc.

based on past history... which is about right, barring anomalies like zorko, barlow etc. pretty much picked random rookies btw, they're just place holders, ignoring captain bonus since both teams have the same captain, players have the same avg as last year assuming neither improvement nor decline, with the exception of leuenberger, who i've assumed an inconsequential average (since he's in both teams).

Stacked mids: 6 premium
Ziplock stacked mid Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition coached by Zarts. Salary cap left: $8,400.

Brendon Goddard 97, Danny Stanley 93, Jack Grimes 92, Will Sierakowski 70, Lewis Stevenson 65, Simon Tunbridge 60
Steven Verrier 55, Blayne Wilson55

Dane Swan 134, Gary Ablett jnr 125, Dayne Beams 116, Matthew Boyd 115, Trent Cotchin 111, Scott Pendlebury 110, Kane Mitchell 95, Brad Crouch 90
Jaeger O'Meara 85, Jack Viney 80

Ivan Maric 98, Matthew Leuenberger 90
Thomas Nicholls, Sam Rowe

Lance Franklin 101, Dean Cox 100, Paul Chapman 98, Viv Michie 80, Darren Minchington 75, Jake Neade 70
Ben Newton 65, Dylan Orval 60

=2085

Non Stacked mids:

Ziplock unstacked mid Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition coached by Zarts. Salary cap left: $2,300.

Brendon Goddard 97, Heath Scotland 96, Danny Stanley 93, Jack Grimes 92, Bryce Gibbs 92, Matt Suckling 83
Simon Tunbridge 70, Steven Verrier 65

Dane Swan 134, Gary Ablett jnr 125, Scott Pendlebury 110, Kane Mitchell 95, Brad Crouch 90, Jaeger O'Meara 85, Dean Kent 80, Nick Kommer 75
Joshua Prudden 70, Josh Saunders 70

Lance Franklin 101, Dean Cox 100, Paul Chapman 98, Steve Johnson 97, Tom Lee 80, Darren Minchington 75
Jake Neade 70, Ben Newton 65

that's a 1ppg difference, so it's kind of inconsequential, the actual difference will rely on what rookies you find in what position and your subsequent premium structure- for instance, hypothetically stacking the midfield is completely viable, if lets say 5 forward rookies show up that are going to average between 95 and 80 and all our midfield rookeis look like they're going to be averaging like 60-70.

Unfortunately, that's unlikely.

As you can see, both teams have very similar scoring potential. However, with the unstacked midfield, there are more high averaging rookies (since they're from the midfield), subsequently faster and superior cash generation, along with stronger bench cover for late withdrawals in the forward and backline.

that's all assuming that premiums retain their exact averages though- obviously averages fluctuate, the trick in dreamteam is to pick the ones who are going to rise, regardless of the position, and avoid the ones who are going to fall, regardless of position.

dubizzy

Goddard, grimes, heppell, Hanley, hartlett, Gibbs- terlich, Stevenson ,

Beams, pendalbury, redden, crouch, omeara, t.Mitchell , k.mitchell, towers â€" viney , hvorat

Goldstein, leunberger- currie, Osborn

Franklin, Rockliff , wright, Martin , broughton, Sylvia â€" lee , neade

Can ya help me out. I have 2 k left over didn't like any forward or def rookies much so stacked both those lines.

essendon2

Quote from: Ziplock on February 27, 2013, 12:29:28 AM
Quote from: Money on February 27, 2013, 12:21:02 AM

no, you'll be fine. Here's a post I made on it.

Quote from: Ziplock on February 26, 2013, 01:02:12 AM
Quote from: Nails on February 25, 2013, 10:47:26 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 25, 2013, 02:15:18 AM
Quote from: Nails on February 24, 2013, 11:17:23 PM
If you want a good team, as betch ya said you need MINIMUM 4 gun mids.

Especially if going for overall rankings (the only way to go). As if you don't have enough gun mids, yes you'll score well in fwds and backs but you'll fall too far behind and not be able to catch up. You'll end up with a good team, but it'll be good at the end, not from the start which you need.

I've said this a flowering thousand times, that's not how the goddam magic number work. So long as you time your upgrades right, which will be easier with the better midfield cash cows, it doesn't matter what line you stack.

Still wrong, you need to stack mids a bit :-X

6 premo fwds and 6 premo def and only 1 prem mid as this seems to lack enough premiums even with your magic number BS.

As a standard team has like 5 premo mids, 4 premo def and 4 premo fwd.

Therefore a standard power midfield = same amount of premos, but your mid premos are are scoring you more. You don't really get MORE premiums that way, which is what you need.

You are so unbelievably wrong.

ok, 2 teams. I'm going to use the averages from last year for the premiums, and assume the following averages
back rookies: 70/65/60/55/55/55 etc.
mid rookies: 95/90/85/80/75/70/70/70 etc.
forward rookies: 80/75/70/65/65/65 etc.

based on past history... which is about right, barring anomalies like zorko, barlow etc. pretty much picked random rookies btw, they're just place holders, ignoring captain bonus since both teams have the same captain, players have the same avg as last year assuming neither improvement nor decline, with the exception of leuenberger, who i've assumed an inconsequential average (since he's in both teams).

Stacked mids: 6 premium
Ziplock stacked mid Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition coached by Zarts. Salary cap left: $8,400.

Brendon Goddard 97, Danny Stanley 93, Jack Grimes 92, Will Sierakowski 70, Lewis Stevenson 65, Simon Tunbridge 60
Steven Verrier 55, Blayne Wilson55

Dane Swan 134, Gary Ablett jnr 125, Dayne Beams 116, Matthew Boyd 115, Trent Cotchin 111, Scott Pendlebury 110, Kane Mitchell 95, Brad Crouch 90
Jaeger O'Meara 85, Jack Viney 80

Lance Franklin 101, Dean Cox 100, Paul Chapman 98, Viv Michie 80, Darren Minchington 75, Jake Neade 70
Ben Newton 65, Dylan Orval 60

=2085

Non Stacked mids:

Ziplock unstacked mid Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition coached by Zarts. Salary cap left: $2,300.

Brendon Goddard 97, Heath Scotland 96, Danny Stanley 93, Jack Grimes 92, Bryce Gibbs 92, Matt Suckling 83
Simon Tunbridge 70, Steven Verrier 65

Dane Swan 134, Gary Ablett jnr 125, Scott Pendlebury 110, Kane Mitchell 95, Brad Crouch 90, Jaeger O'Meara 85, Dean Kent 80, Nick Kommer 75
Joshua Prudden 70, Josh Saunders 70

Lance Franklin 101, Dean Cox 100, Paul Chapman 98, Steve Johnson 97, Tom Lee 80, Darren Minchington 75
Jake Neade 70, Ben Newton 65

that's a 1ppg difference, so it's kind of inconsequential, the actual difference will rely on what rookies you find in what position and your subsequent premium structure- for instance, hypothetically stacking the midfield is completely viable, if lets say 5 forward rookies show up that are going to average between 95 and 80 and all our midfield rookeis look like they're going to be averaging like 60-70.

Unfortunately, that's unlikely.

As you can see, both teams have very similar scoring potential. However, with the unstacked midfield, there are more high averaging rookies (since they're from the midfield), subsequently faster and superior cash generation, along with stronger bench cover for late withdrawals in the forward and backline.

that's all assuming that premiums retain their exact averages though- obviously averages fluctuate, the trick in dreamteam is to pick the ones who are going to rise, regardless of the position, and avoid the ones who are going to fall, regardless of position.
I love you man!
I swear you're the only person that also has realised this. haha, I keep copping flack about my mid weak, but I make up for it in my other lines. for example, even though Macaffer's good enough to be playing on the ground, I don't have faith in any fwd rooks, so is rathe spend big there and pick up the MID ROOKS!

Adamant

It's a decent strategy, you'll start way behind everyone else and will probably be ranked around 30k... but you'll come home with a bang when you start upgrading those mid rooks and will probably finish with a stronger side.

essendon2

Thoughts on Watts, C. Beams and C. Smith?

powersuperkents

Boyd, Beams or Pendles baring in mind that I already have Dane Swan...? :) Which one would prove my best starting M2?

Ziplock

Quote from: dubizzy on February 27, 2013, 12:32:44 AM

Goddard, grimes, heppell, Hanley, hartlett, Gibbs- terlich, Stevenson ,

Beams, pendalbury, redden, crouch, omeara, t.Mitchell , k.mitchell, towers â€" viney , hvorat

Goldstein, leunberger- currie, Osborn

Franklin, Rockliff , wright, Martin , broughton, Sylvia â€" lee , neade

Can ya help me out. I have 2 k left over didn't like any forward or def rookies much so stacked both those lines.
Yeah, I've done something similar with my team, I had no confidence in forward rookies, so I have a very similar structure.

I'm not a fan of wright, honestly I cant see him improving much, and see it as far more likely he'll go backwards- he's just too small bodied to pull large amounts of midfield time, and he's not a good enough goal kicker to compensate. That being said, I've been wrong before, otherwise I'd be driving around in a 2012 toyota :P

I'm also not a fan of beams as a dt prospective this year- young players usually have an off year post-break out, he'll probably be copping significantly more attention this year as well- swan and pendles are pretty hard to successfully tag, so teams may try to limit beams input. On top of that, ball coming in could push him a little more forward than last year... basically, too many variables- honestly I'd prefer ablett/ swan (which you obviously can't afford unfortunately), but in that price range, I'd pick boyd over beams- at least you know what you'll get.

I think your bench might need some work, that being said, we've only had one round of NAB, so it's a bit early to judge.