Previous topic - Next topic

Wines or Embley for M6?

Oliver Wines, PA, $169,500
12 (63.2%)
Andrew Embley, WCE, $283,600
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1

hawkers65

Mids looks like this: Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Kennedy, Cotchin, ??????????? O'Meara, Viney (Lonergan Crouch)

I'm having trouble picking out of these 2 players. Both have some great Pro's and not so good Con's. I thought i had made a decision on playing Wines but then this article had to appear: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-03/embley-runs-careerbest-timetrial IMO i see Embley averaging around 90 and Wines about 75. I'm going to list some Pro's and Cons for each player:

Embley:

Pro's:
-Will average a fair bit more
-If he can average 90 he may be able to be my M10
-Career best shape
-Handy bye
-Has the ability to got 150+
-Plays an important role at WC and shouldn't get vested

Con's:
-Fairly old and may break down
-Costs 120k more
-Only leaves 3k left for any rookie upgrades come Round 2/3 (If a premium rookie is flying)
-Will generate much less cash

Wines:

Pro's:
-Very young
-Costs 120k less
-Leaves 115k left for any rookie upgrades come Round 2/3 (If a premium rookie is flying) or early upgrades
-Should easily generate more cash
-Ready made footballer

Cons:
-Unsure on roll and may struggle in the AFL (you never know)
-Will average much less
-Won't be able to be a keeper at M10 if he only averages 75
-Won't have a high ceiling like Embley
-Will miss games like most rookies

So what are your thoughts on these 2 players? Currently only have the 1 mid pricer in Byrnes (Guns n Rooks strategy) So Embley will make it more of a Mid priced team.

Thanks Hawkers!

quinny88

If you have the money left to get Embley then go for it.
Im not so optimistic that he will avoid the vest though. He is an old boy and has been a little prone to it in the past

celtic86

The addition of Wellingham also causes concern in regards to Embley copping the vest. If he is truly flying this preseason then perhaps the eagles will give him a chance to prove he is still a starter. Hopefully the NAB cup will enlighten us all!

Presto

Embley, but at this stage I have both:

On an average of 90 Embley will be worth 420k by round 10, while on an average of 75 Winey will be worth 340k so the increase is only 40k more, but it will be easier to trade Embley for a keeper.
Rokie upgrade on round 2/3. Almost certainly you will use another rookie, it is not the 120k that will make the difference, if you need more for an elite player (say Rioli goes bonkers with huge scores, you will look somewhere else - I suggest the premium with the highest BE)
One is a ready made footballer, the other is a proven footballer.
I expect Embley to play most rounds, while Winey will miss a few.

MTTY

Went with Wines. Embley is training extremely well at the moment but i just cant shake the feeling he will cop the vest more often than Wines will (If Wines does). It just seems that Embley could be useful in the sub role, occassionally, where as i don't think it would suit or be in Ports best interests to use Wines (the sort of player he is) as a sub.