Main Menu

Top 5 Draft Picks

Started by simm_bo, February 03, 2013, 07:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simm_bo

Had Viney and Daniher not gone to father/son picks and if Crouch and O'Meara were in the national draft what do you think the top 5 would have looked like?

I reckon:
1. Daniher
2. O'Meara
3. Viney
4. Crouch
5. Whitfield

MTTY

My opinion:

1. Daniher
2. O'Meara
3. Whitfield
4. Viney
5. Toumpas

tbagrocks

O'Meara
Whitefield
Crouch
Daniher
Toumpas (because victorians are stupid)

If Viney turns into a better player than either Crouch or Toumpas i'll call Taylor Walker a spud

meow meow

The draft wouldn't have gone like this, but time will reveal the true order.

Mix Gary Ablett snr with Paul Chapman and you've got Jake Stringer. His leg will heal and he will be in the top 3 players from this draft. It's not my bias talking. Toumpas is as polished as Whitfield and they're battling it out as the best midfielder. Viney and Crouch are more grunt, but Jimmy and Lochie have the class. Daniher is a ruckman but doesn't know it yet. He'll be sensational. Jesse Lonergan will be under rated his whole career but he will be one of those guys who gets the job done, James Bartel and Brad Sewell style.

1. Daniher
2. Stringer
3. Toumpas
4. Whitfield
5. Lonergan

Noz

Agree with Meow only thing i would change is possible Stringer at 1 and Daniher at 2, Stringer will be a big star and a quality player.

Chelskiman

I wouldn't really call Bartel underrated, he did win a Brownlow after all.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Chelskiman on February 05, 2013, 01:39:43 AM
I wouldn't really call Bartel underrated, he did win a Brownlow after all.
I'll agree, anyone who underate Jimmy Bartel clearly does have little idea of football, though those who might call him overated have no clue at all :o

But yeah JB has been one of my favorites

Stringer at No 1? No, that's why he wasn't selected in the top four, but a great pick for the WB, if only they'd picked Membrey as well

13Brummy

I would have it:

1. O'Meara
2. Daniher
3. Whitfield
4. Toumpas
5. Crouch

O'Rourke and Plowman were selected where they were because GWS wanted their position, not because they were the next best.

I reckon it was a real toss-up between O'Meara and Daniher for 1 & 2

Viney would not have been top 5

The Crows probably would have taked Whitfield over Crouch if he were eligible for the mini-draft.

I haven't seen enough of Stringer to make a comparison

Noz

Stringer would of gone top 3 if he never broke his leg.

Jroo

Quote from: Noz on February 05, 2013, 10:24:55 AM
Stringer would of gone top 3 if he never broke his leg.
+1, before he broke his leg, he was rated as one of the best young players.
Would have almost certainly went in the top 3.
I'd probably have it at:
1. Daniher
2. O'Mera
3. Whitfield
4. Crouch
5. Toumpas

Toga

1. Daniher - good KPP/Ruck prospects are hard to come by.
2. Stringer - would have gone mini draft if not for his leg, absolute powerhouse of a utility.
3. O'Meara - why did GC give up their top picks last year? The kid is good.
4. Whitfield - a talented & classy mover, good reason why he was the actual #1.
5. Toumpas - another classy user of the ball rounds out my top 5.

I agree with meow in that Crouch and Lonergan will probably be underrated their whole careers, but think the classier ball users were more deserving of a place in my top 5.

Viney wouldn't have gone Top 5, that's why Melbourne didn't have to use their #3 pick to secure him :o

Ziplock

haha, everyone rating Daniher as a top 3 pick is basically wrong. GWS had the first 3 picks, and we didnt need a key forward, and, as you can see since he passed on grundy at 14, a ruck wasn't exactly necessary either.

It would have gone like this

1. Omeara
2. Whitfield
3. Plowman
4. Daniher
5. Stringer

Omeara and Whitfield were  the best mids available, Plowman at 3 since GWS were targetting a keyback, Daniher at 4 to melbourne... him and hogan in a few years would be scary, with Stringer dropping in at 5th again.

their rankings purely on ability? Honestly, we won't have any indication of that until the end of the year at the earliest :P

Justin Bieber

How the hell did 2 people say Viney at 2 or 3 or 4. He could of gone to the GC at that number... And Crouch could of played in 18's like 10 times better than anyone this year.

13Brummy

Quote from: Ziplock on February 07, 2013, 01:31:53 AM
haha, everyone rating Daniher as a top 3 pick is basically wrong. GWS had the first 3 picks, and we didnt need a key forward, and, as you can see since he passed on grundy at 14, a ruck wasn't exactly necessary either.

It would have gone like this

1. Omeara
2. Whitfield
3. Plowman
4. Daniher
5. Stringer

Omeara and Whitfield were  the best mids available, Plowman at 3 since GWS were targetting a keyback, Daniher at 4 to melbourne... him and hogan in a few years would be scary, with Stringer dropping in at 5th again.

their rankings purely on ability? Honestly, we won't have any indication of that until the end of the year at the earliest :P

I reckon everyone was basing their top 5 on ability/potential, not which clubs had which picks.

Tominator

1. Daniher
2. O'Meara
3. Whitfield
4. Crouch
5. Toumpas