Main Menu

Richmond 2013 Preview

Started by TheAnt, January 30, 2013, 01:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAnt

Hey guys, wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the SuperCoach sub forum or not, but since this is all about Richmond does have some stuff that isn't SuperCoach relevant i'll post it in here. Wrote this a week back, tell me what you think!
Just be aware it is a big read- over 2000 words.

Ladder Position in 2012: 12th (10 wins/11 losses/1 draw)

B & F Winner: Trent Cotchin

Most Improved: Ivan Maric

The Big Story:

Daniel Connors had finally won back the trust of the Richmond Football Club, after he had put in a match winning performance and kicked a vital final quarter goal against GWS in round 12. Fast-forward to the 4th of July and the news that sent tiger fans into shock arrived. Both he and Dustin Martin had slept in after taking sleeping tablets. Connors didn’t do too much wrong, but it was the final straw and he had been already on thin ice. Connors was sacked from the club and Martin suspended for two weeks that included the infamous Gold Coast defeat.
The Offseason:

Richmond has been travelling along smoothly during the off-season. They picked up Mark Williams to fill the vital role of development coach, which has already proved invaluable. The new mature age recruits have certainly been able to mentor the many younger players on the tigers list, which already is rubbing off. However, Aaron Edwards spent four hours in a police cell for being drunk in public, with the leadership group choosing not to suspend him.

With Punt Road being resurfaced in anticipation of Richmond’s stand-alone VFL club, they worked in many different areas while the 1.9 million re-development project took place. Just before it was completed they set off on a nine-day camp in Cairns, with overall was a great success. Richmond worked mainly on strength and conditioning before having a three day ‘amazing race’ where they performed activities such as archery, orienteering and mountain bike circuits. Richmond has been developing a culture with team bonding activities since Hardwick took over in 2010, and new captain Trent Cotchin has already implemented a “togetherness attitude”, which the players are already taking strongly to. The Tigers made no hesitation in announcing that they are striving for 60,000 members in 2013, already having 32,361 members.

Get on board and make sure the roar is back!
New Recruits:

Free Agency:
Chris Knights
Troy Chaplin

Trade Period:
Aaron Edwards (Pick 74)

National Draft:
Nick Vlastuin- Pick 9
Kamydn McIntosh- Pick 31
Liam McBean- Pick 33
Matthew McDonough- Pick 42

Preseason Draft:
N/A

Rookie Draft:
Ricky Petterd- Pick 7
Sam Lonergan- Pick 22
Orren Stephenson- Pick 33
Cadeyn Williams- Pick 44
Outgoing:

Traded
Angus Graham (Adelaide)

Retired
Brad Miller
Kelvin Moore

Delisted
Andrew Browne
Daniel Connors
Piva Wright
Jeromey Webberley
Dean Macdonald
Addam Maric
Gibson Turner
Jayden Post
John Heslin
Key Indicators for 2013:

Richmond will need to improve their consistency, if they are to finally achieve their allusive finals dream. Richmond fans had hearts in mouths for many games, and almost all of them turned out to be disappointment. Closing out games was a big talking point. Paul Roos described the debacle against the Gold Coast as ‘The worst 47 seconds in footy’, highlighting just how poor Richmond have been in “red time” in 2012.

These matches will be the difference between making finals and not. It comes with natural experience, which Richmond will be hoping they have enough of now to take the next step. With their new recruits, they should leapfrog a few teams from the third least experienced squad in 2012. The fans are getting excited but are restless. It’s finals time for the boys in yellow and black.
Players that need to stand up in 2013:

Tyrone Vickery-

The big man has had injury troubles of late, but there is no questioning his importance to the team. Vickery supports the two most important players in the team; Jack Riewoldt and Ivan Maric. Still with lots of improvement left in him, Vickery will be hoping for a season better than 2011, where he kicked 35 goals. He will ease the workload for Maric and provide a second option for Jack.

Nathan Foley-

A superstar who has been riddled with injuries, is the best way to describe Nathan Foley. Foley’s work in the stoppages and then on the outside makes him a very valuable asset for Richmond. His speed makes a weapon, who can break the lines. The Tigers highlighted his importance with a three year contract at the end of 2012.

Robin Nahas-

Nahas had a disappointing 2012. He applied good pressure as usual; however he had no real impact around goal. He didn’t seem his dangerous self and, he needs to become an x-factor player for Richmond in 2013. The Tigers have excellent small-forward depth this season, and if Nahas isn’t up to it. any of Edwards, Petterd or even new recruit Matthew McDonough will quickly grab their opportunity.

David Astbury-

The highly rated utility needs to improve in 2013 if he is to keep in calculations for a best 22 spot. Unlucky to dislocate his knee his first game back in 2011 after good form in the VFL saw him out for the remainder for the season and a chunk of 2012. He has recently stated that he is feeling fit and is entering his first pre-season at the club. Donned with Matthew Richardson’s number 12 he has a lot of expectation on him.
Key Fixture Dates:

Round 1 v Carlton:
Every year this is earmarked as the ideal start to the season, but it looks as though the Tigers will finally challenge for first round honors this year. Without a win against Carlton since Round 1 2008, the tigers will be hoping to end their hoodoo and get the ball rolling. The vibe amongst tiger fans will be enormous, the confidence in the players will be sky high and if the next match mentioned is a win the lid may just come off for tiger fans.

Round 4 v Collingwood:
Another arch rival, Richmond haven’t been even competitive against Collingwood for a long time. This isn’t a game that the tigers are expected to win, which makes it all the more important that they take a big scalp.

Round 9 v Essendon:
Dreamtime at the ‘G is always a special occasion, and a big one to win for two teams vying for a top eight spot.

Round 16 v Gold Coast:
There isn’t much to say other than this match must be won. It’s not only because it’s Gold Coast, but because Richmond face a horrendously tough fixture following it; they play Fremantle, Sydney and Hawthorn in the 3 weeks after.
Best 22:

B: Morris, Chaplin, Grimes

HB: Houli, Rance, Ellis

C: Foley, Tuck, Martin

HF: S.Edwards, Vickery, Knights

F: King, Riewoldt, A.Edwards

R: Maric, Cotchin, Deledio

Int: Grigg, Conca, Newman

Sub: Nahas

Emg: Batchelor, Vlastuin, Griffiths

Depth: Astbury, Dea, Lonergan, Petterd, McDonough, Helbig, McIntosh, Arnot, O’Hanlon, Elton, McBean, Stephenson, Jackson and Williams.

Onto the SuperCoach related side of things:
The Must Have:

Trent Cotchin MID| $622,100 | 2012 Average 116.3 | 2011 Average 100.5

Trent Cotchin is set to take his game to a whole new level after going in to a full pre-season for only the second time. Richmond fans have known Cotchin was going to be a superstar from the moment he debuted, 2012 was him showing everyone else. Cotchin is all class and can deal with tags. His burst speed and his ability to push forward and kick goals makes Cotchin not just a must have for Richmond but for the whole competition.He had 19 games last season, in which he scored over 100.
The Must Avoid:

Jake King FWD| $329,100| 2012 Average: 61.5 | 2011 Average 65.1

The ‘Push-up King’ is the barometer for Richmond; when he’s playing well, Richmond is usually dominating. Unfortunately, when Jake King’s playing well it doesn’t always involve high scoring, which means King isn’t too fantasy relevant. On top of that, he also gets suspended a lot. Stay away.
Breakout Contender:

Dustin Martin FWD/MID| $473,500 | 2012 Average 88.5 | 2011 Average 98.9

You may take one look at those averages and alarm bells will sound; Martin’s average has gone down 10 points. Rewind to this time last year and everyone was hyping Martin up as the next best thing and a SuperCoach lock. His rise in addition to a new DPP status saw him become one of the most popular picks in 2012.

Fast-forward to now and things are not so flash. Martin’s been just about blacklisted from almost team after burning people multiple times with efforts that people have labeled lazy and that his head is not in the right space. Martin still averaged 88, but coaches were still left with disappointment.

Many people picked up on something however; Martin started well, but never finished well.

1st Half Average: 52.05

2nd Half  Average:36.5

Being under Choco Williams’ wing will be a phenomenal boost and should get him back to his destructive best. Martin’s colossal strength makes him a very imposing figure. Williams could very well propel him to stardom status.
Rookie Ramp:

Nick Vlastuin DEF/MID | $159,500

Richmond had their eyes on this tough inside midfielder for a while before he was actually picked. In the Hardwick mold of tough and brutal, Vlastuin mixes it up with poise and class with his disposals. Vlastuin backs up all of this with bucket loads of class and leadership off and on the field.
Mid Priced Mayhem:

Dylan Grimes DEF| $416,700 |2012 Average: 77.9 | 2011 Average: 62.7

The injury prone defender is an extremely exciting prospect. Though he’s been trying to get through a full season, he can’t because of his hamstrings. In 3 years he’s only played 17 games, meaning Brandon Ellis and Steve Morris have all played more then him. The fact he is a certainty in Richmond’s best and included in the leadership group is a testament to him self.

However in better news for the coaches out there, the inclusion of Chaplin could well see Grimes play an intercept role or the loose man. When Grimes got 15 possessions or more in 2012 (5 out of 9 times) he averaged 98.9! Should he be freed from standing a key forward, he should be able to achieve this more often. This means 95 is definitely achievable for Grimes, should he get freed up more often. If that doesn’t get you excited, perhaps this will:

Dylan Grimes ‏@dylgrimes2
Surgeon says “EXTREMELY unlikely to re-injure the hamstring”… Couldn’t be happier!! First of many running sessions today.. Can’t wait!

You’d be wise to be tentative about this, however, watch his NAB cup closely as usual with unique players such as these.
Cash Cows:

Chris Knights FWD| $248,500| 2012 Average- 46.4| 2011 Average-69.1| 2007 Average-90.6

Chris Knights was the first free agent to move in the Free Agency period. Richmond had their eye on the sleek roaming flanker a while before, and Richmond are starting to get the man they want more often then not these days. Knights is a versatile player, he can help push Martin up field more often and score well himself on a half-forward flank. Knights is finally injury free and just like his best mate Maric before him might gain confidence being a first team player week in week out. He’s an excellent cash cow option.

Bye Round: 11
Key SuperCoach Players:
DEFENCE:

Alex Rance $464,800 | 2012 Average: 86.9 | 2011 Average: 84.3

Alex Rance has become the main man in Richmond’s defense. While he averaged the most (Deledio is a mid now), he’s not the greatest SuperCoach option with only 6 defenders available, however I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets in the top 10-15 defenders which makes him a good unique.

Dylan Grimes- $416,700 |2012 Average: 77.9 | 2011 Average: 62.7

*See Mid Priced Mayhem above*
MIDFIELD:

Brett Deledio- $624,100 | 2012 Average 116.6| 2011 Average: 104.9

Brett Deledio finished the year with only 8 midfielder averages in front of him, causing his loose his eligibility as a defender and midfielder. With most already locking in Cotchin in the Richmond midfield, going for Lids offers a huge point of difference, and he is a consistent and durable player, would not be a bad choice at all. In fact, go get both of them!

Trent Cotchin- $622,100 | 2012 Average 116.3 | 2011 Average 100.5

*See The Must Have*
RUCK:

Ivan Maric- $606,900 | 2012 Average 113.4| 2011 Average: 69.3

The mullet man! Wow, what an impression Big Ivan left on Richmond in 2012. In desperate need of a competent ruck, they set out to get Maric over McIntosh, which left many Richmond fans dumbfounded, including myself. However the big Croatian proved us all wrong and became one of the most improved in the competition. Could possibly become the best ruck in the competition should he get over his groin troubles.
FORWARD:

Dustin Martin FWD/MID| $473,500 | 2012 Average 88.5 | 2011 Average 98.9

*See Breakout Contender*

Toga

Good read Ant. Best 22 is spot on imo, and I agree with everything you've put forwards. Looks like we've got a lot to be excited about, but I don't want us to get too ahead of ourselves!

Dylan Grimes is an interesting one hey? I've considered him as well but just not sure I have the kahunas to go with it... Could really pay off, but he could also go twang early... Hard choices!

Ziplock

Toga

Ziplock

hahaha.

dont ever believe surgeons.

maybe extremely unlikely for a normal person, but all the grimes' have hammys made of elastic band, and being an elite athlete....

just isnt worth the risk with a preseason injury.

that being said, same was true for jack last year :P

Nige

Nice work Ant, good read. I agree with most of this stuff and like the 22 a lot.

Jroo

Awesome work Ant!
You write for SC Paige don't you?
And maybe just put the SC bits up on the SC board, as some people might find this interesting!
Good work!  8)

TheAnt

Yeah I do mate, cheers everyone. Yeah Ziplock I'm hopeful that it's the case, of course he might mean just the one hammy which means the other one might go twang. He should just skip Dreamtime at the G' this year I reckon, I remember watching him in 2011 thinking wow he's winning us this game then it happened, same for 2012.

I'm also glad that Richmond are recruiting a lot of hard, tough but skilfull players(not as much with the rookies) and disciplined players, you look at McIntosh who has to look after 6 siblings and had to work 2 jobs while training for footy while his parents fly in an out for their work. Vlastuin looks like Sewell, Morris and Ellis combined. Was captain of Vic Metro I believe so he's clearly got leadership. McBean and McDonough I can't speak much for but I do like the prospect of McBean in the future, looks like a very raw Joe Daniher, and McDonough is a goal kicking machine.

Jroo

Quote from: TheAnt on January 30, 2013, 02:41:10 PM
Yeah I do mate, cheers everyone. Yeah Ziplock I'm hopeful that it's the case, of course he might mean just the one hammy which means the other one might go twang. He should just skip Dreamtime at the G' this year I reckon, I remember watching him in 2011 thinking wow he's winning us this game then it happened, same for 2012.

I'm also glad that Richmond are recruiting a lot of hard, tough but skilfull players(not as much with the rookies) and disciplined players, you look at McIntosh who has to look after 6 siblings and had to work 2 jobs while training for footy while his parents fly in an out for their work. Vlastuin looks like Sewell, Morris and Ellis combined. Was captain of Vic Metro I believe so he's clearly got leadership. McBean and McDonough I can't speak much for but I do like the prospect of McBean in the future, looks like a very raw Joe Daniher, and McDonough is a goal kicking machine.
I've heard McDonough be linked to the next Paul Chapman, so he should be good.
I like McIntosh as well, can play as a key defender or play on the smalls or even run off the wing. Reckn he might get a game or two this year.

Nige

That's what I'm really excited about, the fact that we have enough depth for competition for spots in the 22. We have a handful of guys capable of breaking in to the side a playing a few games.  :D

TheAnt

Yep, plenty of young depth which I like aswell, not just the experienced one. Yeah it was Dimma who said he likened him to Chapman.

nrich102

Can Maric really improve much after last season.

TheAnt

Quote from: nrich102 on January 30, 2013, 09:10:32 PM
If he plays 5% better that's a bonus. I think he just peetered off a touch towards the end of last season, after Vickery went down he barely got any ruck relief.

nrich102

Quote from: TheAnt on January 30, 2013, 11:33:52 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on January 30, 2013, 09:10:32 PM
If he plays 5% better that's a bonus. I think he just peetered off a touch towards the end of last season, after Vickery went down he barely got any ruck relief.
OK

Justin Bieber

Interesting that Push-up is a 'must have'