Main Menu

Performance-enhancing drugs in the AFL

Started by Tominator, January 29, 2013, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: Nails on February 06, 2013, 02:45:02 PM
Me and my hate had a $100 bet on Lions vs. Essendon finishing higher on the ladder.

I should go ask for my $100 back.

what a terrible bet nails i hope you had 10 to 1 odds or something on it.

Justin Bieber

If this is proven then Watson will get stripped off his brownlow :o

Justin Bieber

This is why Stanton was so good to start off!! lol

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Ringo on February 06, 2013, 02:32:07 PMBP as I posted earlier it may have only just come to notice that these supplements contain banned substances as ingredients may not have been disclosed on label.  hang in there as this is what happens when you push boundaries.

You're right Ringo, but at the same time, who signs a waiver about the supplememnt programme? Surely that's an alarm bell?

Herald Sun (oh so reliable) reporting that players were injected, in which case my money is on SARMs (selective androgen receptor modulators) - very much illegal and WADA/ASADA will have a field day. Hard to detect though. If the HS is wrong, I wonder if it might be something more innocuous like DMAA - was a popular part of pre-workout supplements and was only banned mid last year - if it was SARMs then they're screwed, DMAA might stand them a chance of getting off without mass suspensions.

That or it could be something totally different ;)

Nails

Quote from: Holzman on February 06, 2013, 03:05:12 PM
Quote from: Nails on February 06, 2013, 02:45:02 PM
Me and my hate had a $100 bet on Lions vs. Essendon finishing higher on the ladder.

I should go ask for my $100 back.

what a terrible bet nails i hope you had 10 to 1 odds or something on it.

Well if it wasn't for Essendon's drug induced start to the season and they played like they did when the drugs wore off, Lions smashed 'em.

vmac66

It shouldn't matter how many used a banned substance , if 30 players used a banned substance , then 30 players must be suspended . .  Can't be safety in numbers . . .
As an afl supporter I would hope that no essendon player gets suspended , it's not a good look for footy if they did .

Windigo

Heard that players were injected at 'secret locations.'

Ziplock

all depends on what essendon spins now.

for instance, if some clubs officials take the fall and say they told the players that it was a legal substance they were being injected with, or like some type of antibiotic to stop them getting sick etc. etc. they'll probs be fine.

if they come clean and say 'yeah, we all knew were were taking drugs' flower it, suspend them all, I dont give a shower. Means GWS wont get the spoon :P

Dudge

It's worrying to think where this  all might end up. Not just the AFL, but drugs in all sports

Grazz

Quote from: Ziplock on February 06, 2013, 04:02:28 PM

for instance, if some clubs officials take the fall and say they told the players that it was a legal substance they were being injected with, or like some type of antibiotic to stop them getting sick etc. etc. they'll probs be fine.

if they come clean and say 'yeah, we all knew were were taking drugs' flower it, suspend them all, I dont give a shower. Means GWS wont get the spoon :P

That sounds good in theory mate but ASADA's official line is Ignorence is no excuse when supplements are being taken.
I can see the AFL being a toothless tiger here if alot of players are involved as they wont want to ruin the comp and Essendon in 2013 but its what ASADA's stance is that will determine the outcome, or atleast thats how im reading it mate.

PS: Theres nothing at all good about this.

meow meow

Kyle Reimers said that they were being administered human growth hormone. If this is true then they are in serious shower.

T Dog

Quote from: Grazz on February 06, 2013, 04:11:14 PM

That sounds good in theory mate but ASADA's official line is Ignorence is no excuse when supplements are being taken.
I can see the AFL being a toothless tiger here if alotof players are involved as they wont want to ruin the comp and Essendon in 2013 but its whay ASADA's stance is that will determine the outcome, or atleast thats how im reading it mate.

The Comp?? The Comp??...what about my fantasy footy teams.... ;D

Grazz

Quote from: Windigo on February 06, 2013, 03:52:06 PM
Heard that players were injected at 'secret locations.'

This just by itself makes you think something very dogy was taking plus the signing of waivers accepting responsibilty gives me serious concerns this could get very big and dirty indeed. Crazy stuff.

Ziplock

blue

A fine would be a joke, they should be banished to tassie