Main Menu

Performance-enhancing drugs in the AFL

Started by Tominator, January 29, 2013, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolfugitiv0

- Dons say they became aware in past 48 hours of possible substance use.
- They contacted the AFL and ASADA and an investigation has now been launched.
- James Hird says he's shocked and disappointed.
- Dons didn't say how many players possibly implicated.

Grazz

Just had the press conference, you didnt miss alot if you didnt catch it. basically they said theyve seeked clarification from ASADA and the AFL as to wether they have commited an offence. They believe they have stayed within the boundaries of the AFL's ASADA's drug policies etc and wouldnt comment on any other details. Im sure it will be up somewhere for all to watch. The next week/month will be very interesting. Crazy stuff.

Ringo

Wonder whether this was trying to keep ahead of all the soft tissue injuries they endured in 2011.

Will await further news but may not get much in Qld.

Grazz

Quote from: Ringo on February 05, 2013, 05:51:35 PM
Wonder whether this was trying to keep ahead of all the soft tissue injuries they endured in 2011.

Wasnt 2012 worse as far as soft tissue injuries go Ringo. Cant remember their injuries in 2011 tbh.

silloc

Quote from: Grazz on February 05, 2013, 06:03:31 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 05, 2013, 05:51:35 PM

Wasnt 2012 worse as far as soft tissue injuries go Ringo. Cant remember their injuries in 2011 tbh.

soft tissue injuries have been a thing for a while at essendon

Colliwobblers

its the weapon he did it! maybe why the cats were so hard for so many years that's where he came from.

all i know is heppell got fricken huge in one preseason  :o

i hope it is borderline, if they cheated officially i hope it is just a tiny crossing of a line, proud honerable club and i am sure the players wouldnt have wanted to cheat, but who knows. just be a shame for the club and players if it turns out to be a big bad deal...

this isnt cycling or soccer we cant have cheating and match fixing in the afl

Grazz

Quote from: Colliwobblers link=topic=71434.msg 980439#msg 980439 date=1360077172
its the weapon he did it! maybe why the cats were so hard for so many years that's where he came from.

all i know is heppell got freakin huge in one preseason  :o

i hope it is borderline, if they cheated officially i hope it is just a tiny crossing of a line, proud honorable club and i am sure hate players wouldn't have wanted to cheat, but who knows. just be a shame for the club and players if it turns out to be a big bad deal...

this isn't cycling or soccer we cant have cheating and match fixing in the afl

Yeh like you i hope and feel the same Colli. I'll wait and see what comes of the investigation before i cast any stones. I seriously doubt the players would of been given anything detrimental to their health so im interested to see what it was like everyone else.

Southstorm

If they actually had something to hide, they wouldn't have reported themselves to the ASADA before the AFL. Possible cheats but honest cheats nonetheless.

blue

there is something really wrong going on here.

It has been reported the club requested players to sign waivers taking responsibility for supplements taken as part of the Bombers' fitness program.

now why on earth would players be asked to do this ?

Boomz

I'm furious but confused at the same time. Apparently the reason they came forward is because an ex player (apparently reimers) was going to come out with it so not sure that is a sign they aren't guilty (similar to Adelaide)... Apparently one of the supposed substances was legal last year but is being banned from June this year but none of it is clear at the moment.

McRooster

In a statement from the playing group " it's not our fault, Hirdy was screaming at us to 'get the pill' "  :P

mdub

With this scandle going on im the essendon camp and the potential for plays to be banned for periods of time it could be a great chance for some rookies to come out!

Hagebear

Can't say the scandal is a good thing. On a DT point of view I don't think it will affect them too much. I doubt anyone will get suspended otherwise they will probably have to suspend the whole team.

ossie85

Sounds like the club is at fault, not the players.

I could see Essendon losing draft picks or premiership points, but players not suspended.

Likely just a massive fine

Ringo

According to News reports both Cats and Suns have used the same fitness group and both clubs have said they will co-operate.

By listening to all interviews it appears it came to a head when a player said he was going to the ASADA about the waiver signed, So is there more to come.

When interviewed Reimers said the club told them they were pushing the boundaries to the edge.

Have been doing a fair bit of reading on supplements and it appears that in up to 30% of supplements full ingredients are not disclosed on the label so there could be a defence if this is the case.

Bottom line in all this is the onus is one the player to control and know what they put into their bodies.