Main Menu

Performance-enhancing drugs in the AFL

Started by Tominator, January 29, 2013, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on February 18, 2013, 05:45:12 PM
Kind of been annoying me before this drama the Essendon forum was one of the most unused of all the teams now everyone putting in there 2 cents worth

Get the mods to move it the general AFL discussion thread then?

kilbluff1985

Does not bother me to much just that nobody commented on the good stuff like Allessio being hired etc

But yeah I'm not really getting involved but a mate of mine wrote a letter to the club and we got over 100 signatures to show our support

Windigo

People are much quicker to criticize and point out negative aspects of stuff unfortunately.  :P

Ringo

Quote from: Windigo on February 18, 2013, 05:53:58 PM
Kind of been annoying me before this drama the Essendon forum was one of the most unused of all the teams now everyone putting in there 2 cents worth

You started the thread Windi but for your info I have asked mods to move to the General AFL Board as the Topic is just more than Essendon.

Windigo

Quote from: Ringo on February 18, 2013, 06:43:43 PM
Quote from: Windigo on February 18, 2013, 05:53:58 PM

You started the thread Windi but for your info I have asked mods to move to the General AFL Board as the Topic is just more than Essendon.

I started it here because at that stage it was ALL about Essendon.  :P

Ringo

Quote from: Boomz on February 19, 2013, 08:08:16 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/cover-up-claim-hits-brisbane-lions-as-afl-launches-probe-into-allegations-of-match-fixing-and-drug-use/story-e6frf9jf-1226580690436
Arguably there is less to the Essendon claims than this so deserves to be looked at...
Just read the article myself Boomz and as a Lions supporter agree that these claims now need to be investigated fully given that a staffer has confirmed some of the allegations.  If players are found to have used illicit drugs then the book needs to be thrown at them.  Even though they are social drugs they are still illegal and the law needs to be enforced.

This one is basically an issue of illicit drug use and until they AFL gets serious with hair testing most players will continue to escape the net of urine testing. I suspect also if truth be known there is recreational drug use by some players at most clubs and you would be naive to think this is not the case.  Whether you hate him or love him Jason Akermanis raised recreational drug use some 6 years ago but not a lot was done then.

This compares with the suspected use of Performance enhancing drugs by Essendon and both are illegal and need thorough investigation. 

The_Captain

as long as they are not performance enhancing drugs i don't know what the afl is worried about. Police should be more involved in the recreational drug matter. The recreational drugs don't affect performance like the peptides that the cheats essendon were taking.

Bluesman

Quote from: Bluesman on January 29, 2013, 11:40:42 PM
Quote from: Ringo on January 29, 2013, 01:55:06 PM
I have always been against the 3 strike policy.

In saying that however there are times when players may inadvertently take say an antihistamine tablet that may contain some banned substances and that needs to be recognised.

As far as I know using of the recreational drugs is still illegal and that being the case any detection or use of these should be treated harshly by the AFL and clubs. Needs to be nipped in the bud early as we do not need more Ben Cousins issues.  May sound harsh but my thoughts on keeping the sport recreational drug free and getting support to players early.
+1. Not harsh at all Ringo,completely agree. All this is the AFL's fault IMO. They are so gutless in making the really hard decisions. Eg 1. On drugs - THEY are the one's that should set and impose penalties being the organisation they work for - not the clubs! (should be like teacher's whereby the Dept of Ed is the overriding employer and not the school).
Eg. 2. Not looking after the PLAYER"S BEST INTERESTS in setting up a MANDATORY policy whereby players only have access to 50-60% of their income whilst playing - with the remainder put away for them when they finish playing, whether that's forced or otherwise. Will help solve many of the social issues. Don't tell me a person can't live pretty comfortably on even 50-60% of a BASE player's wage!!!!!! The AFL is an absolute joke and disgrace...
We'll just add the Melbourne saga to the lonnnggggg list of Demetriou's 'great legacies'.... whoever thinks this bloke has done a great job needs their head read!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing they have done well is promote the game where they are only interested in is the BOTTOM LINE - to then put back into developing the game as they should. As for their Administration of the game and the gutless decision inconsistencies they continually are allowed to get away with continues to amaze (and bitterly disappoint) me!

kilbluff1985

Quote from: noto07 on February 19, 2013, 07:18:10 PM
as long as they are not performance enhancing drugs i don't know what the afl is worried about. Police should be more involved in the recreational drug matter. The recreational drugs don't affect performance like the peptides that the cheats essendon were taking.

nothings been proved yet before you call us cheats .......

The_Captain

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on February 19, 2013, 10:29:18 PM
Quote from: noto07 on February 19, 2013, 07:18:10 PM

nothings been proved yet before you call us cheats .......

Yeh cos im sure someone would just make that up :/. They know they did it, we know they did it, so why don't they just come out and admit to it 100% and none of this half admitting sh1t !

kilbluff1985

nobody half admitted to anything

and people make things up all the time

your just talking sh!t as usual

The_Captain

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on February 20, 2013, 02:36:38 AM

HAHAHA mate i feel sorry for you. You're in denial. You're getting so defensive as if you are are the one who has taken the illicit performance enhancing drugs and not your club.. Cheats deserve to be banned for a year !

kilbluff1985

Quote from: noto07 on February 20, 2013, 01:47:00 PM

HAHAHA mate i feel sorry for you. You're in denial. You're getting so defensive as if you are are the one who has taken the illicit performance enhancing drugs and not your club.. Cheats deserve to be banned for a year !

if they get found guilty you can say what you want but until then....

don't you think the tests all the players do would have picked up something if they were taking it

and all Essendon did was asked ASADA to investigate them which is not admitting anything

your making statements like you have all the facts which you don't

The_Captain

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on February 20, 2013, 01:52:21 PM
Quote from: noto07 on February 20, 2013, 01:47:00 PM

if they get found guilty you can say what you want but until then....

don't you think the tests all the players do would have picked up something if they were taking it

and all Essendon did was asked ASADA to investigate them which is not admitting anything

your making statements like you have all the facts which you don't

Yeh just like all the tests that picked up what Lance Armstrong was on... He managed to avoid it for all those years so you don't think an AFL sports scientist would know the ways around it.

You need to wake up to it. No one would make this sorta stuff up. There is more than legitimacy to it.

Wait a few weeks or months even and you can then get the so called wake up call you need