Main Menu

Performance-enhancing drugs in the AFL

Started by Tominator, January 29, 2013, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Grazz on February 15, 2013, 01:50:54 PM
Thanks for that Ringo, so much conflicting information surounding who controls the banning of players and for what reasons, EFC potentially being able to use the AFL's doping code clause that if a player was unaware he was given something illegal just adds to it, as alot of what ive read suggests ASADA/WADA overides all sporting bodies, very confusing all this tbh.

I've been trying to figure out the ASADA/WADA-AFL hierarchy thing and it seems like it might be a semantic kind of argument. If what I can gather is correct, yes it is up to the AFL to ban players. This can be off the recommendation of ASADA, who conduct the investigative side of things - but in signing up to the ASADA code, they have effectively agreed to uphold any sanctions recommended by ASADA. So at the end of the day, the recommendation will come from ASADA, and the AFL will uphold it, or else they will no longer be a governmentally sanctioned sporting competition. SO, technically the AFL and ASADA are independent, but practically, ASADA is in the drivers seat.

It is in fact a legal act, full act herehttp://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2011C00690
to quote from it:

Sporting administration body rules

(1)  The NAD scheme must:

(a)  contain rules (the sporting administration body rules) that:

(i)  are applicable to one or more specified sporting administration bodies; and

(ii)  relate to the anti‑doping rules; and

(b)  authorise the CEO to monitor the compliance by sporting administration bodies with the sporting administration body rules; and

(c)  authorise the CEO to notify the ASC about the extent of such compliance by sporting administration bodies other than the ASC; and

(d)  authorise the CEO to publish reports about the extent of compliance by sporting administration bodies with the sporting administration body rules.

Note:          The NAD scheme may make different provision with respect to different matters or different classes of matters (see subsection 33(3A) of the Acts Interpretation Act 1901).

(2)  The following are examples of sporting administration body rules:

(a)  rules about promoting compliance with the anti‑doping rules by athletes and support persons;

(b)  rules about referring possible violations of the anti‑doping rules to the ASADA;

(c)  rules about assisting, and giving information to, the ASADA in relation to investigations of possible violations of the anti‑doping rules;

(d)  rules about taking action in response to the ADRVP’s findings relating to such investigations;

(e)  rules about hearings and appeals arising from such findings.

NAD scheme = national anti-doping scheme;
ADRVP = Anti-doping rule violation panel

take sporting administration body to be the AFL in this case, they're bound by the act to follow ASADA's findings and the ADRVP rulings...

Grazz

Windigo

So not much has happened last week or so.

Seems like a storm in a tea cup. I want details.  :P

Tominator

Quote from: Windigo on February 18, 2013, 11:00:08 AM

typical Government sensationalising things

Bringing Australian sport into disrepute for no apparent reason

coolfugitiv0

Quote from: Windigo on February 18, 2013, 11:00:08 AM

The media probably quieted down because they don't wanna get sued for making more false accusations :P

Ziplock

I saw an article saying if anything the report on drugs and illegal activities in aus. sport were played down if anything...

Windigo

All I've read is that THE player under investigation for drug use is allowed to play NAB.

Ringo

Grazz

Quote from: Ringo on February 18, 2013, 02:57:56 PM
Here is an article that maybe cause some comment - a nobody trying to cash in on the furore or is there a bit of fire there.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/silence-on-lions-drug-den-claims-as-self-confessed-drug-deal-also-tells-of-match-fixing/story-e6frf9jf-1226579848727

He's a self confessed drug dealer who has probably been using to much of his own product Ringo. No the sort of thing anyone likes being said about their club and i would take it all with a grain of salt mate. No doubt we will hear more about this but i wouldnt be worrying to much just yet.

Ringo

Not really worried Grazz - As I said a nobody seeking his shot at fame especially when he is using the defence been threatened by an AFL star if he releases documents of proof.  Hope the ACC interview and get to the bottom of it quickly before more clubs are tarnished.

Grazz

Quote from: Ringo on February 18, 2013, 04:09:05 PM
Not really worried Grazz - As I said a nobody seeking his shot at fame especially when he is using the defence been threatened by an AFL star if he releases documents of proof.  Hope the ACC interview and get to the bottom of it quickly before more clubs are tarnished.

Yep so do i mate, this whole thing is turning into a circus so the sooner its all sorted the better.

Ringo

Quote from: Grazz on February 18, 2013, 04:30:06 PM

Yep so do i mate, this whole thing is turning into a circus so the sooner its all sorted the better.
Like this statement just put out by the CEO virtually saying put up or shut up.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-02-18/lions-statement-for-fans

Grazz

Quote from: Ringo on February 18, 2013, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: Grazz on February 18, 2013, 04:30:06 PM

Like this statement just put out by the CEO virtually saying put up or shut up.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-02-18/lions-statement-for-fans

A good statement made by the CEO, your right Ringo he's telling them to put up or shut up, that goes for the paper and the idiot who started it.

kilbluff1985

Kind of been annoying me before this drama the Essendon forum was one of the most unused of all the teams now everyone putting in there 2 cents worth

Grazz

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on February 18, 2013, 05:45:12 PM
Kind of been annoying me before this drama the Essendon forum was one of the most unused of all the teams now everyone putting in there 2 cents worth

Everyone is an armchair critic mate, found the same when the Crows stuffed up. Dont let the negative stuff get you down, hard to do but if you can all the better. ;)