Main Menu

Performance-enhancing drugs in the AFL

Started by Tominator, January 29, 2013, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCSkiwi

Though I would like to say good on you Dan Jackson, intelligent statement of the night "how can you say you only catch 5% of dopers if you don't know the total number of dopers?" - what a great question! I love it when people point out that the "facts and figures" are misleading BS ;)

Grazz

On here tonight at at 10:59pm chanel 73.

ossie85

Quote from: GCSkiwi on February 14, 2013, 11:11:18 PM
Anyone watching the "drugs in footy summit" discussions on Channel 7?
I kinda wish the media coverage on all of this would just stop, it's kinda painful. I mean sure, it's a great money spinner for the networks and there are probably millions watching intently. But there's nothing of substance there, just sensationalist and/or uninformed opinion pieces rather than anything meaningful...

just my 2 cents...

I agree, but I guess if we stopped watching/reading it they'd stop talking

GCSkiwi

Quote from: ossie85 on February 14, 2013, 11:59:55 PM
Quote from: GCSkiwi on February 14, 2013, 11:11:18 PM
Anyone watching the "drugs in footy summit" discussions on Channel 7?
I kinda wish the media coverage on all of this would just stop, it's kinda painful. I mean sure, it's a great money spinner for the networks and there are probably millions watching intently. But there's nothing of substance there, just sensationalist and/or uninformed opinion pieces rather than anything meaningful...

just my 2 cents...

I agree, but I guess if we stopped watching/reading it they'd stop talking

I have no problem with that ;) the details of any reports will always come out, this hearsay type rubbish we could live without.

Windigo

Why do so many hate Dan Jackson?

I reckon he is a top bloke and is very intelligent and kind person. I actually listened to what he had to say, unlike a few of the others.... :P

Justin Bieber

Just heard there are talks that the AFL are prepared to play an 17 team comp :o

Grazz

Quote from: Windigo on February 15, 2013, 11:23:03 AM

I reckon he is a top bloke and is very intelligent and kind person. I actually listened to what he had to say, unlike a few of the others.... :P

Agree he comes across as a very inteligent decent bloke, ive never disliked him and was surprised to hear you say many do.
He made a great point which was how do they know they are only catching 5% and 95% are getting away with it when they dont know the  number of athletes actually cheating, which i thought was one of the smartest things said all night.

owenbond007

Quote from: whatlez on February 15, 2013, 11:39:27 AM

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-14/dons-potential-innocent-afl

I think you will find they are developing contingency plans for all scenarios. I believe the afl knows as much as we do which is next to nothing.

Grazz

I have doubts about a 17 team comp only because when the TV rights deal was done the value was placed on X amount of games.
Any reduction in games would cause problems for those that bought the rights. Could be wrong.

T Dog

Not sure what options they actually have? Cant just bring in a team, or players surely.

owenbond007

Quote from: Grazz on February 15, 2013, 12:45:01 PM

I have doubts about a 17 team comp only because when the TV rights deal was done the value was placed on X amount of games.
Any reduction in games would cause problems for those that bought the rights. Could be wrong.

I agree by reducing the number of matches they would be breaking their contract. Would be grounds for legal action.

Grazz

Quote from: T Dog on February 15, 2013, 12:48:43 PM
Not sure what options they actually have? Cant just bring in a team, or players surely.

Your more than likely right mate, i wouldnt be at all surprised though if the AFL did give EFC some concessions to bring in players from its VFL club or elsewhere only because of the TV rights deal and 9 games a week.

Ringo

For those that do not subscribe to HS locked sections here is a backdoor on the article on the IV drips

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/iv-drip-use-at-windy-hill-enough-to-breach-doping-law/story-e6frepf6-1226578316393

Last couple of paragraphs from the article giving both views on contingencies but Dmetriou saying nothing as yet is precluding Essendon from 2013 season.

"AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan said last night the league has made contingency plans for a 17-team competition this year should Essendon be unable to compete.

"I think it is our responsibility to canvass and plan for every scenario," McLachlan said on Channel Nine.

"There is a technical scenario where, if every allegation was true and you took out and interpretation of the code and you took a certain set of timings then that could be true, so you have to plan for that."

But speaking on Channel Seven league boss Andrew Demetriou stated his confidence that Essendon would play out the 2013 season uninterrupted.

At this stage we've got nothing that indicates otherwise," Demetriou said."

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Grazz on February 15, 2013, 12:11:44 PM
Quote from: Windigo on February 15, 2013, 11:23:03 AM

Agree he comes across as a very inteligent decent bloke, ive never disliked him and was surprised to hear you say many do.
He made a great point which was how do they know they are only catching 5% and 95% are getting away with it when they dont know the  number of athletes actually cheating, which i thought was one of the smartest things said all night.

Yep that ranked as my favourite comment of the night, the man has his head on his shoulders correctly. As soon as the 5% statement was made I thought "how can you possibly quantify that?" and then the words "I don't know if thats a quantified stat" came out of Jackson's mouth. Brilliant.

Also I can't remember who it was that said it but someone made the comment that the real issue is the integrity and ethics of the individuals involved in the performance programmes, rather than trying to limit access to substances - this was also spot on IMO. You're never going to eliminate the ability to find illegal performance enhancing drugs. Bug you can eliminate the individuals who would allow their use. And by eliminate I don't mean kill!  :-X If your performance team are willing to use illegal drugs, they will find ways to do it, however if they aren't there in the first place, the problem goes away...

Grazz

Thanks for that Ringo, so much conflicting information surounding who controls the banning of players and for what reasons, EFC potentially being able to use the AFL's doping code clause that if a player was unaware he was given something illegal just adds to it, as alot of what ive read suggests ASADA/WADA overides all sporting bodies, very confusing all this tbh.