Main Menu

Performance-enhancing drugs in the AFL

Started by Tominator, January 29, 2013, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Quote from: Southstorm on February 07, 2013, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 07, 2013, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: Southstorm on February 07, 2013, 04:40:32 AM
The thing I'm most hanging out for is the document which the players signed; two ex-essendon players have very different views about what it was and it almost certainly indicates how much the players were "in" on the whole thing.

I'm not a medical expert like others here, but I was under the impression that B12 injections were common place within the AFL and sport in general as relief from fatigue. Since it's actually a deep, intramuscular injection, is it possible that McVeigh's story has weight? That B12 injections were done in sterile offiste locations? (let's be honest, Windy Hill was well below par in terms of facilities)

I seriously hope Essendon doesn't get done for drugs. First Lance and now this. If Federer is the next one to meet a scandal then I'll probably lose all will to live.

I also agree that the players shouldn't be responsible for their club's program. These are guys with a year 12 education (some not even that) who haven't got a hope in hell of making decisions for themselves as to whether something is legal or not.

you can't put essendon on the same athletic level as armstrong and federer.
Athletic, no. Support, yes. Until recently I was a fan of Lance and I have to tell you it sucks to realise that you were supporting a liar and a cheat. Nobody likes being lied to and made a fool of after all. I'm now going through a similar dilemma with essendon; do I stick by them or do I draw the line?
different scenario- armstrong it was like: woooowww he's so amazing. Then : omg, he's not amazing, he's a cheat, my world= rocked.

with essendon it was like: smeh, so mediocre. Then: omg. So mediocre and they were doing drugs? what the flower?

ftr, not that it's a huge defense, but at the time of armstrongs doping the majority of top cyclists were doing it- what was it, one year there the top 8 tour de france riders were all dopes? So,  he was at least still the best cheat :P

In all seriousness though, all of armstrongs competitors who were caught doping got slapped with 6 month bans, compared to his life ban. A little harsh.

off topic though :P

The_Captain

Quote from: Ziplock on February 07, 2013, 01:34:35 PM
11.08am: How many AFL clubs are involved? Demetriou: "I don't know the answer to that. We already had our briefing, we already commenced our investigation with ASADA and we will be working with them, the ACC and state police bodies.

GWS TO MAKE THE 8! :P

on a serious note, I don't see them banning the club. What they may do is ban the players who participated, and allow essendon some equivalent access of vfl players/ delisted players in order to field a side.

And then heloooooooooooooo essendon rookies into the team :). So many cows hhahha

Windigo

No one would wanna watch a VFL side in the AFL. Would be worse than watching GWS.  :P

T Dog

I must have been living under a rock...this is massive...Should have known I guess, but am quite surprised. :-\

Windigo

Watch is on ABC News 24??

"Is this one of the blackest days in sport?"

-"No, it's THE blackest day in Australian sport."

T Dog

Ziplock

raccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccist.

Grazz

Quote from: Windigo on February 07, 2013, 01:45:31 PM
Watch is on ABC News 24??

"Is this one of the blackest days in sport?"

-"No, it's THE blackest day in Australian sport."

Yeh watching it, sitting here in disbelief of whats just been spoken about. :o

Ziplock

Quote from: noto07 on February 07, 2013, 01:40:20 PM
11.08am: How many AFL clubs are involved? Demetriou: "I don't know the answer to that. We already had our briefing, we already commenced our investigation with ASADA and we will be working with them, the ACC and state police bodies.

on a serious note, I don't see them banning the club. What they may do is ban the players who participated, and allow essendon some equivalent access of vfl players/ delisted players in order to field a side.

And then heloooooooooooooo essendon rookies into the team :). So many cows hhahha

actually a best case scenario for dreamteam. And my euros squad, since I have no dons in it :P

Quote from: Windigo on February 07, 2013, 01:41:37 PM
No one would wanna watch a VFL side in the AFL. Would be worse than watching GWS.  :P

ehhh, you could build a reasonable squad from delisted player/ gun vfl player/ 18yo potential draftees (if the AFL was really nice, of course essendon would lose all their draft picks next season as well though :P )

Windigo

I suppose you could, but I for one if I was a Bombers supported I wouldn't be paying money to go watch them.

Ziplock

oh yeah, definitely not.

I'd pay to watch GWS play them though :P

Grazz

The latest press conference was/is quite startling tbh. Much larger than just Football and prevelent by the sound of it acroos the codes at various depths of legality.

ossie85

Quote from: Ziplock on February 07, 2013, 01:54:03 PM
Quote from: noto07 on February 07, 2013, 01:40:20 PM

actually a best case scenario for dreamteam. And my euros squad, since I have no dons in it :P

Quote from: Windigo on February 07, 2013, 01:41:37 PM

ehhh, you could build a reasonable squad from delisted player/ gun vfl player/ 18yo potential draftees (if the AFL was really nice, of course essendon would lose all their draft picks next season as well though :P )

Actually think it will be the other way around. If an Essendon official administered the drugs, I'd be more inclined to punish the club not the players.

Reckon if Essendon are guilty (and that's still a big if), playing for no premiership points like the Storm did the other year would be the best punishiment.

T Dog

Quote from: Windigo on February 07, 2013, 01:55:49 PM
I suppose you could, but I for one if I was a Bombers supported I wouldn't be paying money to go watch them.

And sponsors will be running a mile....and then it becomes a real issue about fielding anything

Windigo

Quote from: Ziplock on February 07, 2013, 01:56:40 PM
oh yeah, definitely not.

I'd pay to watch GWS play them though :P

Haha, good call.  8)

Quote from: Grazz on February 07, 2013, 01:57:00 PM
The latest press conference was/is quite startling tbh. Much larger than just Football and prevelent by the sound of it acroos the codes at various depths of legality.

Across numerous codes and organized crime gangs.