Started by Tominator, January 29, 2013, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

Quote from: whatlez on February 07, 2013, 12:53:51 AM
A lot will get suspended.

Enter Goddard, Daniher and that's it lol
Essendon spoon??

GCSkiwi

Quote from: gossiboy on February 06, 2013, 05:25:19 PMFind it pretty funny that ASADA announced that SARMS would be made an illegal substance in June last year, right around the time that Essendon went downhill.

Source? I would bet money if it's an anabolic agent then it would be SARMs, but to my knowledge they were banned about 2-3 years ago...

Actually, make that 5 years ago - http://www.wada-ama.org/en/Media-Center/Archives/Articles/WADA-Executive-Committee-Approves-the-2008-Prohibited-List/

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Southstorm on February 07, 2013, 04:40:32 AM
I'm not a medical expert like others here, but I was under the impression that B12 injections were common place within the AFL and sport in general as relief from fatigue. Since it's actually a deep, intramuscular injection, is it possible that McVeigh's story has weight? That B12 injections were done in sterile offiste locations? (let's be honest, Windy Hill was well below par in terms of facilities)

I don't know enough about AFL facilities but I wouldn't be surprised if any injections were done offsite, legal or illegal. I can believe that part of McVeighs story. I find it harder to believe they would take vitamin injections of B or C simply because it's unnecessary. You can just eat it, you don't need the injection, unless there is an underlying condition. I don't believe that a team full of people would all have an underlying reason to be vitamin b or c deficient if they were on a decent nutritional plan. And given they're athletes, I assume they have nutritional support too... To put this in perspective, 2 eggs have about half the average adult recommended intake of B12. So even if you consider these guys aren't exactly average, they would need to eat maybe 6 eggs to get their entire B12 intake, not accounting for ANY other source. I doubt they eat 6 eggs a day, but the point is that it's not hard to get... It's almost like them injecting yourself with sugar for energy. You COULD do it, but you almost certainly wouldn't.

Ringo

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/off-site-injecting-is-common-practice-in-afl/story-e6frepf6-1226572111413

The plot thickens - Vitamin Injections off site???

Read a report last night that the AFL must have to strike a deal with Essendon to play for no points this year to protect the $1.25b Television deal.

All in all a nasty mess.

For years clubs have been pushing the boundaries - remember the fururore some 10 or so years back when Brisbane players had their half time break in cold rooms to reduce body temperatures, Pales into insignificance with what is occuring now.

This situation is the one the AFL has really hoped would not occur that rather than keep things in house within the AFL and the secrecy that can be enjoyed, an outside body now can play this out in the public arena.   

Grazz

Quote from: Ringo on February 07, 2013, 11:39:40 AM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/off-site-injecting-is-common-practice-in-afl/story-e6frepf6-1226572111413

The plot thickens - Vitamin Injections off site???

Read a report last night that the AFL must have to strike a deal with Essendon to play for no points this year to protect the $1.25b Television deal.

All in all a nasty mess.

For years clubs have been pushing the boundaries - remember the fururore some 10 or so years back when Brisbane players had their half time break in cold rooms to reduce body temperatures, Pales into insignificance with what is occuring now.

This situation is the one the AFL has really hoped would not occur that rather than keep things in house within the AFL and the secrecy that can be enjoyed, an outside body now can play this out in the public arena.

The AFL is really between a rock and a hard place with the television rights, they cant or dont want to omit Essendon from the 2013 season via points or otherwise if found guilty of anything but ASADA/WADA do have the power as i understand to omit those players/officials involved as i understand it. This would be the worse thing thats occured in the history of the comp in the sense of the damage that it can do to the competition. I seriously hope and pray that the EFC is found not guilty of anything for the benefit of the EFC and all involved in the AFL competition. Please please be not guilty.

BratPack

IF the worst rumors are true, then we're going to see the football equivalent of the Death Penalty.

Grazz

Quote from: BratPack on February 07, 2013, 01:01:40 PM
IF the worst rumors are true, then we're going to see the football equivalent of the Death Penalty.

This is my biggest concern aswell. I just live in hope that the EFC are not guilty of anything serious.

Ziplock

looks like nails bet for lions to finish higher than essendon was a good one :P

Ricochet

Live conference on AFL site atm. shower is hitting the fan

Ziplock

The thing I'm most hanging out for is the document which the players signed; two ex-essendon players have very different views about what it was and it almost certainly indicates how much the players were "in" on the whole thing.

I'm not a medical expert like others here, but I was under the impression that B12 injections were common place within the AFL and sport in general as relief from fatigue. Since it's actually a deep, intramuscular injection, is it possible that McVeigh's story has weight? That B12 injections were done in sterile offiste locations? (let's be honest, Windy Hill was well below par in terms of facilities)

I seriously hope Essendon doesn't get done for drugs. First Lance and now this. If Federer is the next one to meet a scandal then I'll probably lose all will to live.

I also agree that the players shouldn't be responsible for their club's program. These are guys with a year 12 education (some not even that) who haven't got a hope in hell of making decisions for themselves as to whether something is legal or not.

you can't put essendon on the same athletic level as armstrong and federer.

Windigo

Anyone watching the ABC press conference??

Match fixing and drugs use widespread across all sport codes in Aust.

Windigo

Yeah I'm watching it on ABC, people interested in this scandal should we watching it. Will clear a lot of things up.

Southstorm

Quote from: Ziplock on February 07, 2013, 01:21:19 PM
The thing I'm most hanging out for is the document which the players signed; two ex-essendon players have very different views about what it was and it almost certainly indicates how much the players were "in" on the whole thing.

I seriously hope Essendon doesn't get done for drugs. First Lance and now this. If Federer is the next one to meet a scandal then I'll probably lose all will to live.

I also agree that the players shouldn't be responsible for their club's program. These are guys with a year 12 education (some not even that) who haven't got a hope in hell of making decisions for themselves as to whether something is legal or not.

you can't put essendon on the same athletic level as armstrong and federer.
Athletic, no. Support, yes. Until recently I was a fan of Lance and I have to tell you it sucks to realise that you were supporting a liar and a cheat. Nobody likes being lied to and made a fool of after all. I'm now going through a similar dilemma with essendon; do I stick by them or do I draw the line?

Southstorm

Quote from: Windigo on February 07, 2013, 01:28:11 PM
Anyone watching the ABC press conference??

Match fixing and drugs use widespread across all sport codes in Aust.
Pretty sickening.

This report was attached to The Age, I presume it's the one being talked about in the ABC conference

http://www.crimecommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/organised-crime-and-drugs-in-sports-feb2013.pdf

Ziplock

11.08am: How many AFL clubs are involved? Demetriou: "I don't know the answer to that. We already had our briefing, we already commenced our investigation with ASADA and we will be working with them, the ACC and state police bodies.

GWS TO MAKE THE 8! :P

on a serious note, I don't see them banning the club. What they may do is ban the players who participated, and allow essendon some equivalent access of vfl players/ delisted players in order to field a side.