A better D3 than Birchell?

Started by tbagrocks, January 29, 2013, 12:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Grant in the best 3-5 picks to start?

yes
18 (60%)
no
12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 1

tbagrocks

Thinking seems to be that Lake will take from Grant, but the Hawks midfield doesn't score like other teams, their forward line is the best for SC but I can't see more than a player or two ave over 110 even 120 to take points off Birchell

So why has he been on the back foot? I get the feeling he's the forgotten back, I for one will strongly consider for D3-4 come round one.

Any reason not to pick the skillful flanker?

shorty3264

Totally agree, I don't think Lake will hurt his scores at all. Just allow him to play with total freedom across the half back flank.

big_cox21

i have him in and out and think he is the 3rd best defender you could have come round 1. behind goddard and gibbs. who i have. waters in too injury prone and shaw is too injury/suspension prone. birchall is a reliable good guy who will get you 95 a game week in week out. i have been going with the money saving approach so far and picking heppell instead. however im going with 6 prem mids and if i decide to go back to 5 mids i will probably be trying to squeeze birchall into my side. he is definitely my first defensive upgrade target atm.

Obese Arachnid

Think if anything it might hurt Suckling.
With two guys that can be quite offensive, Suckling maybe asked to lock down even more.

meow meow

Suckling can't defend to save his life. Birchall can. If Hawks need one of the two to shut someone down, Birchall will be more effective as a stopper than Suckling.

Teams might target Birchall like Sinclair/Collingwood did effectively.

Lake will play as s shut down backman allowing Gibson more attacking freedom and possibly claiming some of Birchall's rebound 50's.

Birchall is an absolute gun though, and picking him will not be a mistake. Top 6 backman for sure.

TheAnt

Well the key to beating Hawthorn is to shut down their run from defence. Especially with Young gone teams HAVE to target Birchall, Suckling and Guerra, it's the main reason Richmond thrashed them. Regardless he's in my team as a third defender.

ronl

What you have to remember, of course, is that Hawthorn know all this and will be developing strategies to free up their running backmen.  They are a tightly structured and disciplined team so I'm sure Birchall will continue to dominate.

quinny88

Birchall will be good for 90-95 avg but I think Shaw is the one that can go 100+ with Goddard and Gibbs

kilbluff1985

Quote from: quinny88 on January 30, 2013, 12:27:11 AM
Birchall will be good for 90-95 avg but I think Shaw is the one that can go 100+ with Goddard and Gibbs

don't like Shaw, guys an idiot

Adamant

I'm starting with Birch again this year, I absolutely love his consistency and he'll hopefully be a POD.

Ricochet

I went Duff over Birchall at #3.
Averaged close to 110 after coming back from being dropped.