"Gazza has been on the sidelines a bit of late"

Started by Andrew, January 27, 2013, 10:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazz

Rattle rattle rattle rattle surely those to posts will shake the cage a bit.  ::)

Kodboys

THIS is the year Gold Coast's young midfielders have to start taking the heat off skipper Gary Ablett, coach Guy McKenna says.

Ablett has carried an enormous workload over the first two seasons of the Suns' existence, easily winning the best and fairest both years and topping almost every statistical category at the club in 2012 - from contested possessions to clearances to goal-kicking.

But McKenna feels the time is right for the 28-year-old Brownlow medallist to defer the tough stuff to his younger teammates.

The Suns' coach wants to use Ablett as more of a finisher than a provider.

In two matches Ablett missed last year, the Suns ran Fremantle to within seven points and led North Melbourne at half-time before fading.

The captain rested against the Sydney Swans last week, and McKenna said he felt the young midfielders had shown enough to take more responsibility.

And Ablett has to let them do so.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-17/gaz-start-to-finish

So im guessing Bennell and O'meara the possible midfielders to rise?? i

Jukes

*grins*

Was I right or was I right

Toga

Makes me feel slightly better about taking him outta my team this week :-X

Haha Jukes, still yet to be seen ;)

Football Factory

Quote from: Jukes on March 17, 2013, 02:02:13 PM
*grins*

Was I right or was I right
May aswell just chuck him in the reserves ..no need for him really  ;)    ;D

Kodboys

Quote from: Toga on March 17, 2013, 02:05:32 PM
Makes me feel slightly better about taking him outta my team this week :-X

Haha Jukes, still yet to be seen ;)

It's a risk really.. ablett will probably still get 100+ anyway but his price.. i guess it is much better to take him out.. but im sure Ablett won't play the entire game upfront.

Football Factory

How many possies does Stanton get as an outside midfielder .... lots

"The pleasing thing for us is he'll be on the end of a chain of possession instead of starting it off for us. I think that's a good thing for him personally, but us collectively. - This means instead of a handball he gets a kick and a goal   :)

McKenna said Ablett was in front of where he was this time last year 

"I would have thought for the competition that's spooky," he said.

"I think he's ready to rumble."

elephants

All this says to me is more +12's.

Besides, he's on a million dollar contract. He's expected to be the dominant force in the team :P

essendon2

More goals, more points 8)
or
Less possessions, less workload, less points ???

Holz

do you really want to be that watching your opponents captain go 300+

Bones Bombers

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on March 17, 2013, 02:17:12 PM
How many possies does Stanton get as an outside midfielder .... lots

"The pleasing thing for us is he'll be on the end of a chain of possession instead of starting it off for us. I think that's a good thing for him personally, but us collectively. - This means instead of a handball he gets a kick and a goal   :)

McKenna said Ablett was in front of where he was this time last year 

"I would have thought for the competition that's spooky," he said.

"I think he's ready to rumble."
I was just about to type this. Funny how Jukes loves Stants, an outside mid, then thinks Ablett won't score well if he's not the inside mid. Ablett is a freak who will attract the ball and score well wherever he is.

popedelio

in a midifled with jimmy and corey back at geelong gary still managed close to 120. Still a lock to average 115 this season imo.

Jukes

Outside midfielders who get heavily tagged score shower, see Stanton late last season.

Ablett will still be the number one tagged played at GC. Stants will be behind Goddard and Watson in the tagging order this season at the bombers.

Quote from: popedelio on March 17, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Still a lock to average 115 this season imo.

He'll be dropping 9 points if/when he averages 115. That's 14% of his average from last season gone.

Would you be happy having your 100 average player dropping to an 86 average?

Football Factory

Quote from: Jukes on March 17, 2013, 02:33:20 PM
Outside midfielders who get heavily tagged score shower, see Stanton late last season.

Ablett will still be the number one tagged played at GC. Stants will be behind Goddard and Watson in the tagging order this season at the bombers.

Quote from: popedelio on March 17, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Still a lock to average 115 this season imo.

He'll be dropping 9 points if/when he averages 115. That's 14% of his average from last season gone.

Would you be happy having your 100 average player dropping to an 86 average?
Ablett has been tagged his whole life even in the little league  ;D  So you think Stanton will be a better outside mid than Ablett ?

elephants

Save your energy Footy Factory hahahah