Main Menu

Slow motion in sport

Started by tbagrocks, January 24, 2013, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

I'm so over this, so over used and really, really boring

I knew coming in to the Tennis and same with cricket, footy will be no different. These genius's seem to show a slow moving sports person whenever it's not live, any chance they get, it really pisses me off now, do we really need so much of it

Does it really add much to the coverage? I say no, I say it takes away from it, far to over used >:(

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should :P

Ziplock

if it's overused, yeah, it'll  detract from the sport. Used correctly though, and it's definitely a positive.

In games like cricket, tennis, when a cm makes a world of difference, it's extremely useful, not just for umpiring decisions, but to help people watching at home/ on the ground understand what happened.

In faster paced sports I'd say its even better- someone does something incredibly skillful in soccer/ afl etc. slow motion really highlights the skill involved in that movement. It also lets you better understand why/ how a player got injured- like rohan breaking his ankle last year. Or why an umpire made a specific call etc. etc.

tbagrocks

Yah I understand all that, but like this morning, player x coming up, they show the player in slow-mo and their joy/frustration, all the stuff is slow-mo, no need for that imo, go to an add break more slow-mo, who's coming up later more slow-mo

that is not for anything, not highlights or anything, just the player in slow motion >:(

I'm not talking about a repley or skill shot, talking about all the other slow crap that's consant, slow moving crowd? Slow moving snail? Every bluddy thing has to be in slow-mo >:(

Ringo

Agree that it is useful for a lot of information and decisions but at times I think it is overused especially at the Aus open not really interested in some of sevens slow motions of player reactions.

Holz

yeah they overuse it but i personaly love whenever they show any player hitting a shot its a great way to analyse thier technique. The other stuff i dont really want to see.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Holzman on January 24, 2013, 01:44:23 PM
yeah they overuse it but i personaly love whenever they show any player hitting a shot its a great way to analyse thier technique. The other stuff i dont really want to see.
Yeah pretty much what I was trying to say

elephants

Meh, I haven't really noticed or cared before but now I see this I'll watch out for it :P

henry

You know there's not much happening in the tennis when channel 7 is showing a slow motion of a leaf falling into the court lol. Anyone else see this? Love the slow motion that repeats actual passages of play but don't mind showing emotions either.

Windigo

I don't mind the slow mo in the afl with the "parody" of Nessun Dorma.  :P

Capper

I dont mind the slow mo so i said Yes.

It is overused alot especially in cricket and tennis, especially on stuff you arent really interested in.

but i love it when the AFL and other shows use the slow and even sometimes use "Nessun Dorma" on the crowd reaction or a funny moment in the crowd or on the field. It provides some lght comedy and is great.

What i hate is the new cameras channel 9 are using. The Spider camera and the 360 view. All i want to do is watch the cricket and not have to wait whilst the camera is moved beffer the bowler can bowl. Americans love it sure, but it doesnt cause any problems for the players.

The 360 camera to me is just showing off. Normally when there is a wicket you see a couple of replays. Now you see a replay and then half way through they swing the camera around. Talk about getting dizzy.

SydneyRox

I really liked that 360 camera, was something new and cool!

Slow motion should be used more often than other times.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdH9fKfiBk

ps. I picked this one cos they have gone to the trouble of editing in the guy in the background!!  :o

BB67th

I don't mind Spider Cam but I hate 360, it is just a waste of time. A normal replay shows you a wiket and you can see what happens for the batsman to get out.

All 360 does is play have the delivery, stop, turn the angle, zoom into the bat showing the ball somewhere near the edge showing you nothing, then it puts a coloured circle around the fielder who is going to catch it, then he catches it.

It shows you nothing more than the normal wicket replay and just takes a long time to get done. It annoys me so much whenever it comes on.

pyronerd

Quote from: BB67th on January 24, 2013, 07:21:20 PM
I don't mind Spider Cam but I hate 360, it is just a waste of time. A normal replay shows you a wiket and you can see what happens for the batsman to get out.

All 360 does is play have the delivery, stop, turn the angle, zoom into the bat showing the ball somewhere near the edge showing you nothing, then it puts a coloured circle around the fielder who is going to catch it, then he catches it.

It shows you nothing more than the normal wicket replay and just takes a long time to get done. It annoys me so much whenever it comes on.
I agree, makes me want to throw my remote through my TV :P

Justin Bieber

This is such a bad thread. I didn't even read it all.

Nige

Quote from: pyronerd on January 24, 2013, 08:06:09 PM
Quote from: BB67th on January 24, 2013, 07:21:20 PM

I agree, makes me want to throw my remote through my TV :P
I also agree, spider cam is pretty cool but the 360 thing is rubbish. However, the commentators have an absolute field day with it every time.