Main Menu

Australia Day

Started by fidou, January 24, 2013, 12:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fidou

Quote from: Maca24 on January 24, 2013, 12:36:01 AM
You sound like a foreigner. And for that I say "get flowered"
No born and bred in Stralia mate.

It's been a debate for the past few years and comes around each Australia Day. Each time I think of it more and more and am coming to the conclusion that it should be changed. We celebrate Australia Day with gusto etc which would be the same on any day we mark for our National Day. But what are we celebrating on the 26th of Jan. The First fleet's arrival to Australia. On the day there is hardly any mention of this and as time goes by it is becoming even more irrelevant.

The day offends the indigenous population and I feel this is a major reason for the change.

My feeling is that in the coming years when QEII leaves this world. The republcian debate will return and if it succeeds the date we become a republic should be our national day.

Ziplock

jan 26 is so perfect though... it's generally too hot that you cant have a barbie, or play some games, but still hot enough to go for a swim, relax in the sun etc.

fidou

Quote from: Ziplock on January 24, 2013, 09:10:53 AM
jan 26 is so perfect though... it's generally too hot that you cant have a barbie, or play some games, but still hot enough to go for a swim, relax in the sun etc.
You can still have it around that date in Jan or Feb.

tbagrocks

Australia day what does it mean?

Cricket, Beer, Parties, Barbecues and not much more really, it's about behaving like an Australian for the whole day

Just enjoy it, who the frog care where or how it came, get into the Australian spirit ;D

Ringo

If we are to change then I believe the only date that it can be changed to based on comments from originator is 27th May.

The significance of this date is that 27th May 1967 was the date of the referendum enshrining in the constitution the right of Indigenous Australians to vote.

One could possibly argue for 1st January when Federation occurred in 1901 but I doubt any one would be willing to give up New Years day holiday.

I believe though that has been suggested that Australia Day should be replaced by Independence Day when and if Australia becomes a republic.

T Dog

Celebrate being here in the land of Oz but never forget - An Australian gentleman should always offer to light his girlfriend's farts before lighting his own. Especially on a Public Holiday.. ;D

Ziplock

Quote from: Ringo on January 24, 2013, 11:44:32 AM
If we are to change then I believe the only date that it can be changed to based on comments from originator is 27th May.

The significance of this date is that 27th May 1967 was the date of the referendum enshrining in the constitution the right of Indigenous Australians to vote.

One could possibly argue for 1st January when Federation occurred in 1901 but I doubt any one would be willing to give up New Years day holiday.

I believe though that has been suggested that Australia Day should be replaced by Independence Day when and if Australia becomes a republic.

TOO COLD.

+ that makes it more of an 'indigenous peoples day', rather than an all encompassing 'australia day'. They should have something on that day though...

tbagrocks

On that then, out of curiosity when is Indigenous round?

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 24, 2013, 12:05:32 PM
On that then, out of curiosity when is Indigenous round?

good pick up.

round 9, so approximately around the 27th of may, in that week anyway.

Ringo

Quote from: Ziplock on January 24, 2013, 11:56:24 AM

TOO COLD.

+ that makes it more of an 'indigenous peoples day', rather than an all encompassing 'australia day'. They should have something on that day though...
know it sounds cold zip but my thinking was it was the day that all Australians were officially recognised thus finally encompassing all Australians.

Fletch74

Quote from: Ringo on January 24, 2013, 01:35:31 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on January 24, 2013, 11:56:24 AM

TOO COLD.

know it sounds cold zip but my thinking was it was the day that all Australians were officially recognised thus finally encompassing all Australians.

Here Here.

Couldn't agree more, why celebrate the day that the POM's landed and took over the country. That's invasion day, not Australia Day, heck we weren't even called Australia back then.

There are so many people in this country with no English heritage.... and that's increasing all the time.

Once QEII kicks the bucket, and we become a republic, that will then become the day we celebrate as our National day.

Nails

It's not really about the English though...

It's about being Australian

Therefore it doesn't matter if you're German, English, French (okay maybe French matters), South African

If you live in Australia and consider yourself an Aussie living in Australia then it's a day to celebrate it. It doesn't matter if we're losing Pom heritage.

Ziplock

it's just some arbitrary date that's been chosen since it's both significant, and convenient.

when it fundamentally comes down to it, australia wouldn't exist as a country without the colonisation of the british. It's an appropriate date, and as I said, convenient... australia day would not nearly be as enjoyable to celebrate in the middle of winter- half the culture of australia day revolves around summer. I don't see a reason to change it.

Capper

It doesnt matter whether you go back generations and and you have family from other countries. If you were born and raised here or now have residency here or are out here for a holiday, you can celebrate Australia Day with everyone else.

To call it Independence Day if we become a rePUBlic would be terrible in my opinion. To me Independence day sounds very american and not Australian at all.

Australia needs to stay in Summer and January 26th fits the bill as its before school and uni goes back and its one final long weekend (usually) to celebrate with your family and friends and to be thankful for this great country and eveything it has given us.

I have some relatives with Aboriginal heritage in my family and i havent asked them what Australia day means to them, but to see hopw happy they are everytime the family gets together is enough for me.

if you dont like Australia day then go to work on Monday (on normal pay) and dont have it off. To those people that have to work and have no choice, unlucky

Windigo

When I see/hear/read anything about "Independence Day" I immediately think of the movie.  :P