Main Menu

Australia Day

Started by fidou, January 24, 2013, 12:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fidou

No country in the world has their National Day as the colonial landing of the past. Most countries have their National Day as their Independence Day or the overthrow of certain governments. When are we going to grow up and have an inclusive National Day that can include all peoples of Australia.

Maca24

You sound like a foreigner. And for that I say "get flowered"

nostradamus

Quote from: Maca24 on January 24, 2013, 12:36:01 AM
You sound like a foreigner. And for that I say "get flowered"

that cracked me up Maca........very tolerant mate lmfao

Ziplock

well, australia is a bit unique... as a country (I'm talking post european settlement here, since the aboriginals weren't a unified people), it's very young... which means we don't have the history of other countries, and we've been lucky enough to never have had a dictatorship/ government that have flowered everyone so bad that we've had to overthrow them.

we certainly dont have an independence day, since we're still a colony of england. Unlike some countries, such as canada, in a similar situation, it isn't really logical to have australia day on the day when our country formed- since that's the first of australia, and we already celebrate a public holiday for new years.

finally, I don't really understand what the big deal is, or how australia day rejects people :S I mean, there are very few 'native' australians, both my grandfathers were born in europe, and my great grandparents on one of my grandmothers side were both born in ireland, and I'm pretty sure the other grandmother is descended from convicts (I'm not really sure though tbh). If Australia day includes me,  and ftr, I do feel included in australia day, then I dont understand why anyone else would feel excluded :S

the only people who have any real cause the be upset are the indigenous people of australia- for them it marks literally 'invasion day'. That being said, that was over 200 hundred years ago, and  the world in general worked that way for thousands of years- the more technologically advanced nations conquered the less technologically advanced, dozens of races have been wiped off the face of the planet because of this... I think it's time to let go over that. Other, more recent issues like the stolen generation I can see why indigenous people would still be upset over, but the colonisation of australia? literally happened 10 generations ago- and lets be honest, if they really hate the degradation of their culture etc. from other races being here, the aboriginals can go back to living in huts, dying before they're 40, without running water, electricity etc... until I see a substantial proportion of the indigenous people reject western culture like that, I really don't think they have that much of a right to complain.

My point is, it shouldn't matter who you are, or where you're from, if you classify yourself as australian, or even if you just like living in this country, there's no reason why you shouldn't celebrate the colonisation of this country, and feel included in being happy over the birth of a nation. If you don't feel included, then it's more of a problem with you, rather than with the day itself.

Or, it's a problem with feral flowertard bogans... but they're going to be cows about people not born in australia whatever day it is, and whatever the day is called.

owenbond007

Quote from: fidou on January 24, 2013, 12:07:50 AM
No country in the world has their National Day as the colonial landing of the past. Most countries have their National Day as their Independence Day or the overthrow of certain governments. When are we going to grow up and have an inclusive National Day that can include all peoples of Australia.

The days their for all Australians. When are the certain minority going to grow up and take the day for what it is, a celebration of the best country to live in, in the world.

Nails

Quote from: fidou on January 24, 2013, 12:07:50 AM

Pretty much what zip said...

If Australia didn't have a colonial landing, then you(and every non-aborigine)/other foreigners wouldn't be here. It'd still be aborigines'r'us

Therefore it's a celebration for migrants, born and bred aussies, 2nd/3rd/1st generation Aussies. If you don't feel included it's your own fault. It isn't a day to celebrate being white. It's for All Australians celebrating the country of Australia (and the hottest 100) If you don't feel the celebration is inclusive of yourself, then that's your own fault and perhaps an indication you aren't embracing Australia as you should.

Nige

What is this Australia Day you speak of? Citizen's Day ftw.

nostradamus

Quote from: NigeyS on January 24, 2013, 01:29:11 AM

Who's that guy in your avatar Nige, he looks spastic enough to be a politician :P

Nige

Quote from: nostradamus on January 24, 2013, 01:33:05 AM

Who's that guy in your avatar Nige, he looks spastic enough to be a politician :P

He was a great singer and an even better dancer. 8) I wouldn't call him spastic, I'd probably call him Pete. ::)

owenbond007

Ziplock

there's already a citizens day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Citizenship_Day

so people can now stfu about it.

nostradamus

Quote from: NigeyS on January 24, 2013, 01:36:05 AM

He was a great singer and an even better dancer. 8) I wouldn't call him spastic, I'd probably call him Pete. ::)

Yeah, l actually saw the Oils in concert many years ago when they were at their peak at Kooyong, Peter Garret was amazing, he climbed the scoffolding and was singing while hanging off it at least 30 metres off the ground

Nige

Quote from: nostradamus on January 24, 2013, 01:42:18 AM
Quote from: NigeyS on January 24, 2013, 01:36:05 AM

Yeah, l actually saw the Oils in concert many years ago when they were at their peak at Kooyong, Peter Garret was amazing, he climbed the scoffolding and was singing while hanging off it at least 30 metres off the ground

I'm actually a big fan. Oh what I'd give to go a concert with Garrett strutting his stuff and belting out classics like Beds Are Burning.

Quote from: Ziplock on January 24, 2013, 01:41:51 AM
there's already a citizens day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Citizenship_Day

so people can now stfu about it.

No harm in having another?  :P I kid, I honestly don't care what happens. It's just another date on the calendar to me.

owenbond007

Fancy seeing a poli moving like that.

nostradamus

My favourite album of theirs is the first one, self titled "Midnight Oil"