Moneyball Team Experiment

Started by nostradamus, January 23, 2013, 06:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nostradamus

l decided to have a play around and make a team based on the movie Moneyball.

lt's a team that l think every player will increase in value and should start as a pretty good scoring unit.

Which is only possible because of the new 2 trades p.w. rule

l'm interested to hear your thoughts on it, and whether you think this approach could actually work

Money Ball Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition coached by nostrdamus. Salary cap left: $19,900.

Bryce Gibbs, Paul Duffield, Heath Shaw, Greg Broughton, Jared Brennan, Jasper Pittard
Brett Goodes, Lewis Stevenson

Scott Pendlebury, Marc Murphy, Nathan Fyfe, David Mundy, Luke Ball, Brent Moloney, Andrew Embley, Kane Mitchell
Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Viney

Todd Goldstein, Matthew Leuenberger
Majak Daw, Sam Rowe

Dean Cox, Tom Rockliff, Dustin Martin, Travis Cloke, Travis Varcoe, Shannon Byrnes
Brent Macaffer, Brent Staker

nostradamus

l went a step further and did an estimate for the team score......

Bryce Gibbs 110, Paul Duffield 90, Heath Shaw 90, Greg Broughton 90, Jared Brennan 80, Jasper Pittard 70
Brett Goodes, Lewis Stevenson

Scott Pendlebury 240(120x2 as captain), Marc Murphy 115, Nathan Fyfe 105, David Mundy 95, Luke Ball 95, Brent Moloney 90, Andrew Embley 90, Kane Mitchell 70
Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Viney

Todd Goldstein 90, Matthew Leuenberger 85
Majak Daw, Sam Rowe

Dean Cox 105, Tom Rockliff 110, Dustin Martin 90, Travis Cloke 90, Travis Varcoe 75, Shannon Byrnes 75
Brent Macaffer, Brent Staker

These are only estimates, some might be a little high but l reckon on balance with the conservative ones it'll be pretty close to the mark.........and ends up with a total score of 2150

Azzas Dockers

You had me interested until I saw travis cloke.

You have defiantly picked out most of the mid price improvers and I think the winning side this year will start with 2 or 3 of those.

Holz

I really like it nost, shows what you can do if you dont start a swan or ablett. If guys like ball and moloney really average that than yeah you will have a step up on the competition.

nrich102

I like it. I dont think Brennan will average 80 though.

nostradamus

Quote from: nrich102 on January 24, 2013, 12:14:17 PM
I like it. I dont think Brennan will average 80 though.

l have doubts on him too, but he's been leading the way on the training track for the Suns (he even got a player voted award for best trainer in Colorado). He said in an interview that he was really disappointed with his last few seasons and felt he'd let himself and his teamates down......and that he wanted to focus on finishing his career well and not be remembered as an unfulfilled talent

.....it really sounded like Johnson (freo) last year

T Dog

I cant see why it wont work. Especially if you get some early wins in your leagues aginst teams fielding the rookies ( in hope )

Mr.Craig

I think that score estimate is a little hopefully but it's definitely a team that gets you thinking. Here's my take on a moneyball...

DEF: B. Gibbs, P. Duffield, P. Hanley, S. Atley, J. Pittard, B. Staker (S. Docherty, D. Terlich)
MID: S. Pendlebury, J. Redden, M. Murphy, D. Mundy, L. Ball, B. Moloney, A. Embley, O. Wines (J. O'Meara, J. Viney)
RUC: T. Goldstein, M. Leuenberger (C. Pedersen, D. Currie)
FWD: T. Rockliff, M. Wright, D. Martin, G. Broughton, A. Siposs, C. Knights (B. Macaffer, T. Lee)

CASH LEFT: $41,400

T Dog

Another nice effort Mr C...with a slight tinker I could be convinced to go with these teams.. 8)

nostradamus

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 24, 2013, 07:53:54 PM
I think that score estimate is a little hopefully but it's definitely a team that gets you thinking. Here's my take on a moneyball...

DEF: B. Gibbs, P. Duffield, P. Hanley, S. Atley, J. Pittard, B. Staker (S. Docherty, D. Terlich)
MID: S. Pendlebury, J. Redden, M. Murphy, D. Mundy, L. Ball, B. Moloney, A. Embley, O. Wines (J. O'Meara, J. Viney)
FWD: T. Rockliff, M. Wright, D. Martin, G. Broughton, A. Siposs, C. Knights (B. Macaffer, T. Lee)

CASH LEFT: $41,400

Nice team Mr C, especially Atley......l like it

Mr.Craig

In terms of money making I'd be better off mirroring you and moving Broughton to the backs (in place of Docherty), dropping Siposs and replacing them with Varcoe and Byrnes.

DEF: B. Gibbs, P. Duffield, P. Hanley, S. Atley, G. Broughton, B. Staker (J. Pittard, D. Terlich)
FWD: T. Rockliff, M. Wright, D. Martin, C. Knights, T. Varcoe, S. Byrnes (B. Macaffer, T. Lee)

Capper

interesting that you have both gone for the Goldy/Burger combo in the rucks.

Can i just ask if you are picking players based on who will go up in value, what about Jamar, Lobbe or Z.Smith??

They are all cheaper than Goldy and should be able to produce similar scores, and arent coming back from a serious achilies injury.

Thoughts?

i am considering starting one of these instead of berger

nostradamus

Quote from: tabs on January 24, 2013, 08:59:14 PM
interesting that you have both gone for the Goldy/Burger combo in the rucks.

Can i just ask if you are picking players based on who will go up in value, what about Jamar, Lobbe or Z.Smith??

They are all cheaper than Goldy and should be able to produce similar scores, and arent coming back from a serious achilies injury.

Thoughts?

i am considering starting one of these instead of berger

yeah l think all of the 3 you mentioned will go up in value too. but think Goldy & Luey will score more

Mr.Craig

Dunno about that tabs, I can't see any of those three pushing much past 75.