Cloke....Gloves an unfair advantage

Started by nostradamus, January 23, 2013, 01:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

Quote from: Andrew on January 23, 2013, 06:48:30 PM
Aussie Rules Football has been played in worse conditions with a heavier, bigger football. They played without any silicon gloves. If there's advantage to be made, ban them. Cloke's DT value has just dropped, surely.
I don't think Cloke will drop much.

T Dog

Quote from: Presto on January 23, 2013, 02:19:26 PM
Why not ban any kind of gloves?
Wait for Andrew to come out and explain that gloves are... Some of you more clever than me, can finish this sentence.

How about gloves are...a blight on the game, they cause too many interchanges, too many trainers on the field and possibly are the real reason why sides targetted draft pick priorities.... ;D.....and of course are the main reason we drug test and profile players is to monitor hand silicon levels.. 8)

ronl

I reckon they are an unfair advantage, even if it's only psychologically.  Get rid of them, no-one wears them, no problem.

Justin Bieber

They use gloves in hot games like in Darwin?

Football Factory

He's on the phone complaining now   ;D

elephants

I remember a while back Matt Boyd wore a glove to protect his broken hand? This would have to be allowed.. but then how would you distinguish between those who WANT and those who NEED.

I guess you could argue that Boyd shouldn't be playing until he is capable of playing without the aid of a glove if the AFL went down the 'complete ban' pathway.

Quote from: whatlez on January 23, 2013, 09:02:58 PM

Damp mate, its humid and generally slippery. Its not to keep their hands warm, its all about grip ;)

Ziplock

Quote from: Presto on January 23, 2013, 02:19:26 PM
Why not ban any kind of gloves?
Wait for Andrew to come out and explain that gloves are... Some of you more clever than me, can finish this sentence.

Quote from: elephants on January 23, 2013, 09:08:50 PM
I remember a while back Matt Boyd wore a glove to protect his broken hand? This would have to be allowed.. but then how would you distinguish between those who WANT and those who NEED.

I guess you could argue that Boyd shouldn't be playing until he is capable of playing without the aid of a glove if the AFL went down the 'complete ban' pathway.

Quote from: whatlez on January 23, 2013, 09:02:58 PM

Damp mate, its humid and generally slippery. Its not to keep their hands warm, its all about grip ;)

yeah, I was about to bring up the injury issues... players with broken hands/ fingers often wear gloves to protect it. You could porbably make an argument on the long term effect on key forwards hands after catching so many large kicked balls, hypothetically it could damage their natural  grip and give them a disadvantage (that's really be pushing it though :P )

Driride

If there are only x amount of types allowed to worn by tha AFL then it becomes a equal playing field , use them or not it is still with in the rules and then its a player choice if they suit him or not , everone has the same advange

Grazz

When we had broken fingers we strapped them to the one next to it and got on with it. Broke one so bad one day the trainer said its dislocated and spent ten minutes trying to put it back in. Grazz was very sad.  :'(

Football Factory

Quote from: Grazz on January 23, 2013, 10:53:06 PM
When we had broken fingers we strapped them to the one next to it and got on with it. Broke one so bad one day the trainer said its dislocated and spent ten minutes trying to put it back in. Grazz was very sad.  :'(
oooooooooooooooooooo   :o   nasty .. Last time i dislocated my finger they exrayed it first to check if it was broken

nostradamus

was he a trainer in training  :o

Grazz

Quote from: nostradamus on January 23, 2013, 10:58:10 PM

Nuh Doc had been with Salisbury Nth for years, was my left pinky and now it points away from all me other fingers haha.
Bloody hurt i tell ya, as soon as i got to hospital the Doctor there without an exray said its broken then they took one and it was cracked straight through just above the knuckle.

nostradamus

Quote from: Grazz on January 23, 2013, 11:13:14 PM

Nuh Doc had been with Salisbury Nth for years, was my left pinky and now it points away from all me other fingers haha.
Bloody hurt i tell ya, as soon as i got to hospital the Doctor there without an exray said its broken then they took one and it was cracked straight through just above the knuckle.

l bet he was apologetic later......but your teamates would have got a laugh out of it no doubt

Grazz

Quote from: nostradamus on January 23, 2013, 11:16:36 PM
Quote from: Grazz on January 23, 2013, 11:13:14 PM

l bet he was apologetic later......but your teamates would have got a laugh out of it no doubt

Yeh that night back at the club once i told him he struggled to look at me, he was gutted he didnt realise sooner. Yeh the boys were having a chuckle at me being very sad saying suck it up mate, these blokes were Greg Edwards, Jamie Thomas and David Buckley who all went on to play for Central Districts, hard men, Grazz not so hard haha. Salisbury Nth back in the late 70's early 80's was a hard club. I put on a brave face infront of them  but in the old mans car on the way to hospital i got soft.

Ricochet

Its always been apart of the game so why change it. I honestly don't think its that much of an advantage or every single play would be wearing one... especially key forwards.
They should be banning Crowley's sweatbands before gloves ::)