Cloke....Gloves an unfair advantage

Started by nostradamus, January 23, 2013, 01:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nostradamus

l think we've alll wondered at some stage or another whether Clokey's gloves give him an unfair adavantage. The way he plucks those big one grabbers, his hands just seem so sticky. Well the AFL have had testing done and the answer appears to be "yes", and subsequently 6 of the 10 types of gloves tested are now banned including Cloke's and the big Q. Lynch's as well. The big question is how this will affect him

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-23/no-love-for-gloves

T Dog

He will have some new ones made to fit in with these new rules probably.. :D

Jukes

Quote from: T Dog on January 23, 2013, 01:30:47 PM

Pretty much this :P players will always find a way to bend the rules

nrich102

Quote from: Jukes on January 23, 2013, 01:45:40 PM
Quote from: T Dog on January 23, 2013, 01:30:47 PM

Pretty much this :P players will always find a way to bend the rules
+1

Presto

Why not ban any kind of gloves?
Wait for Andrew to come out and explain that gloves are... Some of you more clever than me, can finish this sentence.

Grazz

6 out of 10 types banned thats interesting. Ban the lot has always been my feeling tbh. Never really saw them as an unfair advantage as all players were free to wear them but always felt they should be taken out of the game entirely.

nostradamus

Quote from: Grazz on January 23, 2013, 02:26:03 PM
6 out of 10 types banned thats interesting. Ban the lot has always been my feeling tbh. Never really saw them as an unfair advantage as all players were free to wear them but always felt they should be taken out of the game entirely.

yeah l agree Grazz, if there were no gloves there'd be no issue

nrich102

Quote from: nostradamus on January 23, 2013, 02:28:06 PM

But players want to wear gloves. In the bulldogs suns game in Darwin there were heaps of gloves, and those without them failed. In games like that you need gloves.

dunnie

Yes, no gloves or at least you are not allowed to take them off when you are having a shot at goal. If they are too sticky to drop the ball onto your foot properly the situation will sort itself out.

thewizz

Can't everyone wear them? How is it an unfair advantage?

nostradamus

Quote from: thewizz on January 23, 2013, 02:43:13 PM
Can't everyone wear them? How is it an unfair advantage?

Port can't afford them :P

jimmytigs

im not a roo or hawk supporter,but the mens men of all time(70s-now anyway)of the vfl/afl matthews & carey didnt need gloves,take em off the fairies & tell them to man up,that includes the ones from other clubs also,i think that poofter from footscray campbell,started this whole thing & now many many no talent bums like him have followed in his footsteps,i know g.ablett wore them for a while & that was disappointing,yeah take out the blews,play under a roof & wear gloves,i love fantasy but i hate where the real thing has gone

JoeKing

Quote from: dunnie on January 23, 2013, 02:35:22 PM
Yes, no gloves or at least you are not allowed to take them off when you are having a shot at goal. If they are too sticky to drop the ball onto your foot properly the situation will sort itself out.

D, that is exactly what i was thinking also  Gloves should only be worn when an  injury concerning the hand requirrs extra protrction, and a certificet should be needed. But even then the player should not be playing injured!

Grazz

Quote from: nrich102 on January 23, 2013, 02:32:42 PM
Quote from: nostradamus on January 23, 2013, 02:28:06 PM

But players want to wear gloves. In the bulldogs suns game in Darwin there were heaps of gloves, and those without them failed. In games like that you need gloves.

This is a fair point mate regarding Darwin, my feelings are if there are no gloves then everyone is in the same boat. Darwin has humidity where as Winter has rain, night games has dew on the grass. So not to much of difference when it comes to getting your hands on the footy. Take them out of the game and in one swoop you level the playing field. Just my thoughts on it.

Andrew

Aussie Rules Football has been played in worse conditions with a heavier, bigger football. They played without any silicon gloves. If there's advantage to be made, ban them. Cloke's DT value has just dropped, surely.