Djokovic v. Wawrinka - greatest Aus Open match ever?

Started by Tominator, January 21, 2013, 03:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

Djokovic has triumphed in an absolute thriller... 12-10 in the fifth set, the match went for 5 hours and the fifth set alone went for 101 minutes

Djokovic     1   7   6   6   12
Wawrinka   6   5   4   7   10

So much skill shown by both players and it was a masterclass, right down to the last rally

Is this the greatest Australian Open match ever? Would have to be up there

Justin Bieber

Holz

Great game no doubt but best ever I think that's getting caught in the moment. Last years final was the best I have ever seen.

Grazz

Was a brilliant game. Enjoyed every minute of the 5 hours. :D

gossiboy

No. Great game but not the greatest. Last years final was arguably the greatest tennis match ever played (2008 and 1980 Wimbledon finals come close) and by far the best Australian open match ever.

Sapientia

Absolute corker of a game. As I said in another thread, just an amazing effort and lift from Wawrinka but every kudos has to be granted to Djokovic who lifted enough to win. True experience there.

That Wawrinka backhand though. Love it. If he keeps up this kinda performance he'll be around the top echelon sooner rather than later.

Holz

you have to feel for wawrinka though you play the match of your life and you still lose. Shows how good Novak is though, i just hope it didnt take too much energy and hopefully he recovers for the next round.

Nige

Amazing match, was great to see how Stan didn't go away or let up despite his injuries. Novak scraped through and hopefully doesn't put his beloved fans like myself through that much agony again.  :P

Grazz

Quote from: Holzman link=topic=70740.msg 966379#msg 966379 date=1358729461
you have to feel for wawrinka though you play the match of your life and you still lose. Shows how good Novak is though, i just hope it didn't take too much energy and hopefully he recovers for the next round.

It certainly takes two to create a match that will be remembered like this one. Wawrinka deserves as much applause as Novak no question. It was one those contests where it's sad to see a looser but in my mind there wasn't a looser and the game of tennis was the real winner. :)

PowerBug

Wawrinka: 56 1st serve % in 2012. Last night: ~70. The weak forehand of Wawrtinka's was superb. And only 1 double fault despite having what looks a really risky 2nd serve. He played outta his skin, unfortunately Wawy didn't get through, if he did Ferrer would've had a free run into the final. :D Still hopeful that my prediction will be right, and i'm sure that not many else have predicted the same. :P
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

BratPack

Holz

Quote from: BratPack on January 22, 2013, 03:04:12 PM

Only 5 hours?

Lightweights!

granted but this was a much better match that was just a serve fest.

ossie85

The Andy Roddick v Younes el Aynaoui match was pretty special:

4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19

Justin Bieber

Isner sucks. He would hold on serve and would lose every game he didn't serve.

PowerBug

This Davis Cup match between Ivo Karlovic and Radek Stepanek would've been pretty interesting:
7-6, 6-7, 6-7, 7-6, 14-16 with Stepanek winning, Karlovic hit 76 aces.
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126