90-94
85-89
80-84
75-79
70-74
Below 70

Holz

thats what i thought Ric.

my tip for round 1. Goldy in the ruck and 50/50 on daw to be named in boomers poistion of half forward flank.

RidleyU

Quote from: Ricochet on March 08, 2013, 02:22:50 PM
No more speculation fellas, here's what Scott had to say.

Hot Currie not a wake-up call for Goldstein

DANIEL Currie's elevation to sole senior ruckman for Saturday's NAB Cup clash with Geelong is not designed as a wake-up call to Todd Goldstein, North Melbourne coach Brad Scott says.

Goldstein, the Kangaroos' No.1 ruckman for the past two seasons, will play in the curtain-raiser for VFL team North Ballarat, giving Currie his chance to impress after two strong displays in the pre-season competition so far.

Although saying it was yet to be decided who would fill the role in round one, Scott was adamant Goldstein was not on the outer.

"'Goldy' has been a terrific player for us for a long period of time," Scott said before training on Friday.

"We see him as an All Australian standard ruckman.

"We know what he can do.

"He's got terrific endurance for a ruckman. He's rucked one-out for a long time, so we know he can do that."

The Roos coach said he had not categorically ruled out playing two ruckmen in the season opener, but admitted it was becoming increasingly difficult to do so in the sub rule era.

"There aren't too many sides that do it anymore," Scott said.

"It's been a bit of a slow burn for most clubs, but I think most are realising that unless you've got a very, very flexible ruckman who can play significant time forward or has got the athletic ability of Nic Naitanui, it's becoming harder and harder.

"Especially with a cap of 80 this week, it does make it very difficult to play two."

North Melbourne, undefeated in the NAB Cup but with an inferior percentage to the three other unbeaten teams, can stake a claim for a place in the pre-season decider with a win over the Cats.

But it is likely they will also need Adelaide to defeat Carlton at AAMI Stadium on Friday night.

Midfielder Leigh Adams returns to the team for his first hit-out of the season, after recovering from surgery on both shoulders.

He trained in sunglasses earlier this week after having minor eye surgery on Monday, but Scott guaranteed the shades would not be required at Skilled Stadium.

"There's no way 'Patch' would run out there in sunnies," he joked.

"He is desperate to get out there and play, but he could've trained without them, but we all wanted to laugh at him, which we did.

"He's a really important part of our side and we're rapt to have him back."

Key position player Robbie Tarrant will be rested this week after losing 5kg in the Townsville heat against Gold Coast last weekend.

Nathan Grima, who is yet to play this pre-season having battled a back injury, will again miss, with Scott saying the defender was a slight chance to appear in the VFL.

"It's the day before the game, and we're giving him every opportunity to get up to play," Scott said.

"If he surprises me out on the track today, he'll play.

"But based on what I saw Wednesday, we want to get another solid block of training into him."

Currie was picked up by North Melbourne with pick 56 in last year's national draft, having previously spent five seasons with the Sydney Swans from 2007 to 2011.

Speaking alongside his coach, the 24-year-old said he was excited by the opportunity to press his senior claims.

"Not too many players get a second opportunity, so I'm very grateful for it," Currie said.

"I feel like I've put my head down and worked pretty hard since I've been here, so hopefully I can grab this second chance."

I cant see anywhere in the article where Scott states that Goldy will be a certain starter for round 1. If Goldy was rested this week then I agree that he is still a clear number 1. Currie was best on ground last week and now has the opportunity to prove himself as first choice. How do the Roos not pick Currie if he has a very good game this weekend? It is definitely not as clear cut as it appeared to be a few months ago.

essendon2

just off topic for a sec, still on NM though... Sam Gibson at 468, I reckon he can easily average 105  ??? 8) ;)

Ricochet

Quote from: RidleyU on March 08, 2013, 02:50:34 PM

"We know what he can do.

I cant see anywhere in the article where Scott states that Goldy will be a certain starter for round 1. If Goldy was rested this week then I agree that he is still a clear number 1. Currie was best on ground last week and now has the opportunity to prove himself as first choice. How do the Roos not pick Currie if he has a very good game this weekend? It is definitely not as clear cut as it appeared to be a few months ago.
So they wouldn't start their All Australian Ruckman (in their eyes) round 1 if he's fit??
Its just North giving Currie a chance to see what he can do. Goldy will be there round 1, whether its with Currie/Daw or not.

GM

Quote from: Ricochet on March 08, 2013, 03:00:55 PM

"We know what he can do.

So they wouldn't start their All Australian Ruckman (in their eyes) round 1 if he's fit??
Its just North giving Currie a chance to see what he can do. Goldy will be there round 1, whether its with Currie/Daw or not.
It doesn't make sense Rico,you either play your All Australian no 1 ruck in the seniors or you give him a rest.Why play him in the 2's.Currie has shown what he can do.Imo RD1 ruck is Curries to lose now.

RidleyU

"We know what he can do.

He never mentioned form and he doesn't say why Goldy is in the magoos.

Scott also used past tense in his comments.

"'Goldy' has been a terrific player for us for a long period of time,"

I am not trying to read too much into this but it is definitely not as clear cut as it was in Jan. They clearly rate Currie who also might be considered All Australian 'standard' as well down at Arden Street. The kid is very impressive and is more mobile around the ground than Goldy. Will be interesting to see how well Currie goes this weekend. A really solid performance might seal him a round 1 debut. Might not be as sole ruck though.

Ricochet

Quote from: greenmoon on March 08, 2013, 03:08:29 PM

"We know what he can do.

It doesn't make sense Rico,you either play your All Australian no 1 ruck in the seniors or you give him a rest.Why play him in the 2's.Currie has shown what he can do.Imo RD1 ruck is Curries to lose now.

To me it makes perfect sense.
Currie is untested, he has never played an AFL game. So North have never seen him take sole responsibility for R1. Goldy is proven and they know what to expect from him. Scott said it above.

Say they didn't do this to test Currie out and Goldy goes down with an injury right before finals. There would be so much uncertainty as to whether Currie is ready for the big stage or whether they would need to look at other avenues to replace Goldy.

RidleyU

Quote from: Ricochet on March 08, 2013, 03:18:43 PM

"We know what he can do.

Currie is untested, he has never played an AFL game. So North have never seen him take sole responsibility for R1. Goldy is proven and they know what to expect from him. Scott said it above.

Say they didn't do this to test Currie out and Goldy goes down with an injury right before finals. There would be so much uncertainty as to whether Currie is ready for the big stage or whether they would need to look at other avenues to replace Goldy.

What happens if Currie is best on ground this weekend for the 2nd week running?

Ricochet

Quote from: RidleyU on March 08, 2013, 03:20:18 PM

"We know what he can do.

What happens if Currie is best on ground this weekend for the 2nd week running?
And what if he struggles with the #1 duties?
My point is that dropping Goldy doesn't drop him from #1 but more to test Currie.
If he plays well than can definitely see a possibility of him being there round 1 with Goldy

Holz

Quote from: RidleyU on March 08, 2013, 03:15:20 PM

"We know what he can do.

I am not trying to read too much into this but it is definitely not as clear cut as it was in Jan. They clearly rate Currie who also might be considered All Australian 'standard' as well down at Arden Street. The kid is very impressive and is more mobile around the ground than Goldy. Will be interesting to see how well Currie goes this weekend. A really solid performance might seal him a round 1 debut. Might not be as sole ruck though.

from north melbourne facebook

"While we were really keen to see Dan one out, we were also concious of Goldy conditoning and its important thath e continues to get some good fitness work in prior to round 1"

Goldy played through injury and sickenss last year because we wernt confident that we coudl play without him. Im sure they are just testing out currie to see if he can handle sole duty if goldy picks up a niggling injury. 99% ofp layers would have been told to take a rest last year, goldy couldnt do that.

thats half the reason he is underpriced.

RidleyU

Quote from: Holzman on March 08, 2013, 03:24:49 PM
Quote from: RidleyU on March 08, 2013, 03:15:20 PM

"We know what he can do.

from north melbourne facebook

"While we were really keen to see Dan one out, we were also concious of Goldy conditoning and its important thath e continues to get some good fitness work in prior to round 1"

Goldy played through injury and sickenss last year because we wernt confident that we coudl play without him. Im sure they are just testing out currie to see if he can handle sole duty if goldy picks up a niggling injury. 99% ofp layers would have been told to take a rest last year, goldy couldnt do that.

thats half the reason he is underpriced.

Let's see what happens. Still a few weeks to go. It will definitely be interesting.

Agreed that Goldy will be there round 1 but it wont be as sole ruckman. If I was starting with him in 2013 I would be very concerned right now.

GM

"We know what he can do.

Yeah fair enough,thats what this forum is about, differing opinions.

Ricochet

Quote from: greenmoon on March 08, 2013, 03:30:10 PM

"We know what he can do.

Yeah fair enough,thats what this forum is about, differing opinions.
Yes it is  :)

henry

There's enough doubt about him now and he didn't exactly impress me in the NAB, so now I've managed to find the cash to turn him into Maric.

RidleyU

Just wanted to post the actual interview so people can make up their own minds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maRef5-w9nM