NicNat OUT for first 2 months

Started by essendon2, January 16, 2013, 12:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

This dodgy news source only said this much in the article:

"Eagles’ medical projections are believed to consider a “worst case scenario” for the brilliant big ruckman is to resume around Round 8 in mid-May."

It also includes this:

"After a potentially emotion-charged derby against Fremantle, the Eagles then host Hawthorn a fortnight later after the AFL opening round stretches across two weekends finishing on Easter Monday of April 1."

I think Round 1 Nic Nat is certain to miss. Much smarter waiting another fortnight. But bottom line: Cox is looking the goods to start with.

Presto

Independently from when he will resume,he still will need a few rounds to get back to his best. I think I will not consider him until a few rounds after his return.

The other think to consider is how much better is Cox without him.
Over the last 2 seasons, Nic has missed 4 games (round 6 and 7 last year and 1 and 19 in 2011)

Cox averages when Nic played: (DT100.4 and SC113.5)
Nicless Cox (DT134.5 SC165)

Andrew

Quote from: Presto on January 16, 2013, 05:38:19 PM

Heavy duty statistics right there!!

nrich102

Quote from: Andrew on January 16, 2013, 05:43:31 PM
Quote from: Presto on January 16, 2013, 05:38:19 PM

Heavy duty statistics right there!!
+1

Football Factory

Cox was locked for me when the Nat was ok

Ricochet

He's still pushing for a Round 1 tho

Ryan Daniels ‏@FootyRhino
Just spoke with @RealNaitanui he says his rehab is on track & he's still aiming for round 1. Full chat on @7NewsPerth tonight.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Ricochet on January 24, 2013, 06:06:44 PM

Just spoke with @RealNaitanui he says his rehab is on track & he's still aiming for round 1. Full chat on @7NewsPerth tonight.
Yeah this is what I heard. Not sure on the opening post...

Adamant

Quote from: whatlez on January 24, 2013, 07:20:25 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on January 24, 2013, 06:06:44 PM

Yeah this is what I heard. Not sure on the opening post...

Even if he makes round 1, he'll be really underdone. :-\

elephants

I dont think Woosha will risk Nic Nat. Surely he will ease him into the season... Surely.

Mr.Craig

Might look to get him in when my No.1 ruck inevitably goes down.

SydneyRox

i saw the news too. dont think nic will make round 1, but he wont miss 8 either. How underdone he is will be the massive  question

Andrew

Of course Nic Nat is saying "Round 1" at any opportunity... Bottom line is, how hard is he training currently? Not very, and the Eagles play in the "first week" of Round 1 in a huge Derby. In reality it's an 8-point game, if you can have such a thing in Round 1. So why not give Nic Nat an extra fortnight to prepare and play him in Round 2?

Quote from: elephants on January 24, 2013, 07:28:11 PM
I dont think Woosha will risk Nic Nat. Surely he will ease him into the season... Surely.

+1. The treatment of Priddis & Kerr, another gun player, shows to me the Eagles are more likely than most to withdraw/delay a player who isn't 100%. They've pulled them from line-ups late many times and Kerr started as a sub Round 1 last season. The Eagles are also in the best position to cover someone like Nic Nat, both in ruck and up forward.

Guess we'll know closer to Round 1, but even if Nic Nat is named for Round 1, I'll be picking Cox with the expectation that Nic Nat's game time will be reduced and he'll be a big candidate for the red vest in his early games as well. Particularly with Lynch gone :P

Rancher

If this story about 8 weeks out for Nic Nat was started by Kim Hagdorn take it with a pinch of salt. I live in the West and imo he is one of the worst sports journos going round locally. His stories are often beat ups and he seems to report the most extreme possibilities. I'm sure he gets it right occasionally but most times he is wrong and I would not trust anything he writes. Nic Nat has an issue and may not be risked in Rd 1 but that is a lot differnet to missing the first 8 weeks.  Last year one of the regulars on another SC blog said he was blackballed from the webs site Hagdorn writes for because he constantly pointed out the errors and mistakesd he made in his stories.......

kilbluff1985

Nic Nat said him self in an interview he is hoping for round 1 but was not very confident about it

Ricochet

Latest Update

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-18/key-eagles-add-to-woe

WEST Coast ruckman Nic Naitanui and midfielder Daniel Kerr could be sidelined for another month after their slower-than-expected recoveries from surgery.