Taking the next step: 4 key ingredients

Started by valkorum, January 15, 2013, 10:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkorum

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-01-15/taking-the-next-step-four-key-ingredients

QuoteIn mid 2012, Fremantle appeared to flick a switch that transformed the side from a struggling, low-ladder outfit, into a meticulously drilled defensive beast-of-a-unit that overwhelmed many opponents as it stormed into the finals

SydneyRox

I think the big issue will be point 4.

Dont think Freo can make the top 4? Hawks, Pies, Swans would seem to be there on paper...

This leaves them fighting with West Coast, Adelaide and Carlton for 4th IMO.

anchorman

Rox have you had a good look at our draw!!
Looks good enough for top four material.
If I was a punting man, I would be wagering a few bob on them for top four.
A full year under Lyon now and all should be up with his game plan.Last season the boys took half the season to work out how the plan worked.The latter part they were very very good.

SydneyRox

Quote from: anchorman on January 16, 2013, 01:58:30 PM
A full year under Lyon now and all should be up with his game plan.Last season the boys took half the season to work out how the plan worked.The latter part they were very very good.

How many do you think you can win?

I have you for 14 - 7 Losses to Hawks (away), Pies(home), Swans(away), Adel(away), Geelong(Away), WCoast, Carlton(away)

None of those are easy games, and I have given you a coulple that could go either way as well. WCoast Rnd1, Richmond (away)

Mailman the 2nd

Before you can consider yourselves a chance at the top 4 the 1st step was pretty crucial.

In all honesty, on paper Fremantle don't have a top 4 list of players. However in 2011 neither did Sydney but a good 5-6 players stepped up from being fairly standard/solid players to be consistent and integral keys of the Swans weekly team.

I feel with players like Hill and Mayne consistency is the issue, so it'll take hard work. Injuries and accidents are all a given to all sides.

anchorman

You couldn't say that Mayne was inconsistant last season.He had a very good year.Explain how he was not playing on a consistant level all year.His tackling and pressure were top class all year.Kicked goals,second to Pav at out club.
Hill I think is far too harshly judged by his critics.I sometimes wonder if they actually watch the way he plays the game.He only now and then breaks games open with his speed,but watch him in close and see the work he does.He will have less tagging this year as well I feel.
Remember how long it took Daniel Wells to play a consistant weekly brand of football.I place Hil as further advanced at this stage of his career to Wells.

anchorman

Quote from: SydneyRox on January 16, 2013, 07:40:09 PM

I have you for 14 - 7 Losses to Hawks (away), Pies(home), Swans(away), Adel(away), Geelong(Away), WCoast, Carlton(away)

None of those are easy games, and I have given you a coulple that could go either way as well. WCoast Rnd1, Richmond (away)
I think we can beat WC both times,we will beat the pies home.Hawks will be hard in Tassie,but we are due for a change down there. Geelong a hard game for sure,but they are not the power they have been of late.Swans will be hard but still confident.Carlton I believe we will beat.A close game with Adelaide.We will beat Richmond regardless of where we play them.
I don't fear any club at all right now.Lyon has developed this team into a very solid unit.
Maybe optimistic but

CrowsFan

Would love to see Hill have a break out year and average 100+ in SC (for my worlds team :))

SydneyRox

Quote from: anchorman on January 16, 2013, 09:24:23 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on January 16, 2013, 07:40:09 PM

I think we can beat WC both times,we will beat the pies home.Hawks will be hard in Tassie,but we are due for a change down there. Geelong a hard game for sure,but they are not the power they have been of late.Swans will be hard but still confident.Carlton I believe we will beat.A close game with Adelaide.We will beat Richmond regardless of where we play them.
I don't fear any club at all right now.Lyon has developed this team into a very solid unit.
Maybe optimistic but

I just had a crack at the full season for all teams, and I think (right or wrong) that it may get to 13/8. I left you with a 1-1 vs West Coast, but the more I think about it. Playing Richmond at the MCG (your first game at the G for the year) will be too much as well. This has slipped you to 9th on % with Essendon who I calculated with a much higher rate than yours.

valkorum

Yeh, I saw your ladder prediciton and having us in 9th - I decided to not reply and keep my mouth shut about that.

GM

If, the big IF,211 plays 18 games Freo CAN make the top 4.
The first game tbh is crucial for both teams to springboard their seasons.
Whoever wins that one imo can make top 4.
What do think Valk?

SydneyRox

Quote from: valkorum on January 17, 2013, 08:24:16 PM
Yeh, I saw your ladder prediciton and having us in 9th - I decided to not reply and keep my mouth shut about that.

Sorry mate. I like Freo, the competition is so close this year, alot of the games are becoming each way bets. Except when playing against the Hawks, Pies or WCoast at home.

valkorum

Quote from: SydneyRox on January 17, 2013, 08:36:32 PM

Sorry mate. I like Freo, the competition is so close this year, alot of the games are becoming each way bets. Except when playing against the Hawks, Pies, Freo or WCoast at home.

EFA

Quote from: greenmoon on January 17, 2013, 08:34:09 PM
What do think Valk?

I honestly believe we will beat WC in the round 1 derby - NicFat (he is overweight at the moment due to groin op) wont play.

GM

Quote from: valkorum on January 17, 2013, 09:42:32 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on January 17, 2013, 08:36:32 PM

Sorry mate. I like Freo, the competition is so close this year, alot of the games are becoming each way bets. Except when playing against the Hawks, Pies, Freo or WCoast at home.

EFA

Quote from: greenmoon on January 17, 2013, 08:34:09 PM
What do think Valk?

I honestly believe we will beat WC in the round 1 derby - NicFat (he is overweight at the moment due to groin op) wont play.
From what you have seen Valk, how is 211 looking?

valkorum

Quote from: greenmoon on January 17, 2013, 09:55:07 PM
From what you have seen Valk, how is 211 looking?

He is looking better than he has in the last 2 seasons.  He hasn't missed a training session and ran a personal best 3km time trial last week.