Started by DCAK, January 15, 2013, 06:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCAK

Hi guys I'm looking for opinion (or rumour) as to who will be # 2 ruck at,

a.) North Melb - Currie or Daw, and
b.) Collingwood - Witts or Grundy.

Thanks!

Capper

I think Daw will get the nod with the roos, but i can see the 2nd ruck role being split up and shared amongst Daw, Petrie, Tarrant

I wouldnt be surprised at all if the Pies played both Witts and grundy in some games. Jolly is no spring chicken and i think due to the fact that Witts has been at the pies longer, he just gets the nod for the number 2 spot

Ziplock

see, I'd more more likely to say witts + grundy will rotate as R2, along with hudson if need be.

AFL Babble

Daw will face the same challenge he did last year. He needs to be a better backup than Petrie. With Petrie, Tarrant and Hansen up forward, the Roos aren't too fussed if Petrie takes a run around every now and then. Daw needs an injury to Petrie in order to break in. Even then, I don't think he'll hold his spot when that player returns. He certainly won't get a game ahead of Aaron Black up forward if Hansen or Tarrant are injured.

Similarly, Lynch will be number 2 ruck. Witts and Grundy will get games, but not as many as most are expecting. There is no reason to rush them unless there is an injury. Cloke, Goldsack and Lynch will be very hard to dislodge up forward and the other spots will be filled by blokes who rotate through the midfield.

NoButYeah

From SuperCoach Paige's FB page:

"Brodie Grundy has surprised coaches and on-lookers by totally dominating ruck contests in preseason training.

His physicality and vertical leap have seen him beat Darren Jolly quite comfortably and caused some to wonder if Jolly might've been under an injury cloud.

Grundy also partook in a goal kicking contest between the players - slotting 8/10 goals from different points on the ground.

He too is shaping up as a possible round one starter for the Pies."

MC

Also from SC Paige:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/collingwood-2013-supercoach-preview/

Brodie Grundy â€" $114,500.

Since arriving at the club, Grundy has done nothing but impress and is already firming as a round one starter. In recent training simulations, Grundy has dominated every ruck dual â€" even against the more experienced Darren Jolly, causing on lookers to enquire whether Jolly might’ve been injured! Grundy played quite a bit of senior football for Sturt in the SANFL as a 16/17 year old, and dominated with ease. Grundy’s ability to also play as a solid key position forward means that his versatility cannot be overlooked. He is in the mould of a Dean Cox type of player, and has a great vertical leap, stunning agility and endurance and is an accurate set shot for goal.

Jarrod Witts â€" $115,900.

The 209cm, 115kg baby giant will finally debut this year, after coming close last season. Witts is a different type of ruckmen to that of Grundy, however his tap work cannot be underestimated. Witts held down the number one ruck role for the VFL side last season, but also made brief appearances playing full games at Full Forward, where he powerfully crashed packs, and took some ripping contested grabs, converting regularly on goal.

tbagrocks

How the rest of the competition let Collingwood stroll in and steal Grundy, also Kennedy, is beyond belief >:( so not happy!

MC

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 15, 2013, 09:23:35 PM
How the rest of the competition let Collingwood stroll in and steal Grundy, also Kennedy, is beyond belief >:( so not happy!

I am! :D

Go Pies!

theta

Quote from: MC on January 15, 2013, 09:14:47 PM
Also from SC Paige:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/collingwood-2013-supercoach-preview/

Brodie Grundy â€" $114,500.

Since arriving at the club, Grundy has done nothing but impress and is already firming as a round one starter. In recent training simulations, Grundy has dominated every ruck dual â€" even against the more experienced Darren Jolly, causing on lookers to enquire whether Jolly might’ve been injured! Grundy played quite a bit of senior football for Sturt in the SANFL as a 16/17 year old, and dominated with ease. Grundy’s ability to also play as a solid key position forward means that his versatility cannot be overlooked. He is in the mould of a Dean Cox type of player, and has a great vertical leap, stunning agility and endurance and is an accurate set shot for goal.

Jarrod Witts â€" $115,900.

The 209cm, 115kg baby giant will finally debut this year, after coming close last season. Witts is a different type of ruckmen to that of Grundy, however his tap work cannot be underestimated. Witts held down the number one ruck role for the VFL side last season, but also made brief appearances playing full games at Full Forward, where he powerfully crashed packs, and took some ripping contested grabs, converting regularly on goal.

Great writeup, but a warning for everyone, take everything Paige says with a grain of salt, especially if its about the pies.

jabroni

so is hudson a non starter for the pies ruck then?

DCAK

Hudson is rookie listed, he can't play.  I got the impression he was taken by the Pies as insurance against injury to their existing rucks.

Footyrulz

Kangas:
i dont think either will play. It will be Goldtein with Petrie as second ruck like at the end of last year. Daw is prob slightly ahead as hes been there for a while.

Collingwood:
same story i reckon. lynch was recruited as a second ruck. Altough grundy and witts are more capable, i think of playing up forward than the kangas lads. id say witts is ahead from yeears expereience in te squad. husdon will play however, if jolly is injured as n.1 ruck.