Horses for Courses

Started by GM, January 15, 2013, 02:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM

Can i start with N.Roo.
Saints play Gold Coast,Richmond and GWS in their first 3 games.
He dominated the Suns in 2012 and scored 100 against the tigers.
Is he the one to risk first up or not?
Forwards in general can be inconsistent so do i spend more to start with on SJ or Buddy or play the H for C?
Let us know your thoughts on him and suggest another h for c.

Holz

Quote from: greenmoon on January 15, 2013, 02:05:33 PM
Can i start with N.Roo.
Saints play Gold Coast,Richmond and GWS in their first 3 games.
He dominated the Suns in 2012 and scored 100 against the tigers.
Is he the one to risk first up or not?
Forwards in general can be inconsistent so do i spend more to start with on SJ or Buddy or play the H for C?
Let us know your thoughts on him and suggest another h for c.

i currently have him but if you pick him you should be planning to get rid of him round 3. So you have to be confident in your rookie picks as you will have 1 less trade if you pick him.

Windigo

I don't like the ploy TBH, I want all 6 of my trades for rookies at the start.  :-\

Mr.Craig

It might be worth it with NRoo. A safe enough bet to have a good start and if he puts on 20-40k you could choose to sideways him to a number of different guys. Or hang on and ride him out for a while, after all he is a proven performer.

Redden plays 3 of his first 8 games at Etihad where he's recently scored 109, 119, 112, 126, 125 and 108.
He scored tons last year against 7 of his first 8 2013 opponents, with 4 of those being 120+. He's one who should bolt out of the gates.

GM

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 15, 2013, 02:32:11 PM
It might be worth it with NRoo. A safe enough bet to have a good start and if he puts on 20-40k you could choose to sideways him to a number of different guys. Or hang on and ride him out for a while, after all he is a proven performer.

Redden plays 3 of his first 8 games at Etihad where he's recently scored 109, 119, 112, 126, 125 and 108.
He scored tons last year against 7 of his first 8 2013 opponents, with 4 of those being 120+. He's one who should bolt out of the gates.
+1.Currently locked.

Ricochet

With the 2 trades a week, there will be a lot of this in 2013. I'm really not so sure about using trades/starting with players just because they are playing GC, GWS, Melbourne or Port.

Last year when Essendon played Melbourne, there was a lot of talk of putting Goddard as captain due to his scores of 122 (2011), 122 (2010), 107 and 132 (2009), 116 (2008) and 108 (2007).
He then went out and produced a 58.

This isn't a very good example because nearly all teams will have Goddard. But for someone like NRoo who averaged 85 last year... i just think its safer to spend the extra money for Buddy/Daisy/Rockliff

Holz

Quote from: Ricochet on January 15, 2013, 02:37:41 PM
With the 2 trades a week, there will be a lot of this in 2013. I'm really not so sure about using trades/starting with players just because they are playing GC, GWS, Melbourne or Port.

Last year when Essendon played Melbourne, there was a lot of talk of putting Goddard as captain due to his scores of 122 (2011), 122 (2010), 107 and 132 (2009), 116 (2008) and 108 (2007).

This isn't a very good example because nearly all teams will have Goddard. But for someone like NRoo who averaged 85 last year... i just think its safer to spend the extra money for Buddy/Daisy/Rockliff

Im probably not goign to chase scores much either, but i think with key forwards they will score well against the bottom teams.

Windigo

Stats can only mean so much. They look good  on paper and you think you got all bases covered and blam....Godd scores 58 as my captain when Swanny got like 150+.  ::)

Holz

Quote from: Windigo on January 15, 2013, 02:40:14 PM
Stats can only mean so much. They look good  on paper and you think you got all bases covered and blam....Godd scores 58 as my captain when Swanny got like 150+.  ::)

leason learnt pick swan and ablett and the only round one of them wont be captain is round 13.

Im looking to do a tricky premo to rook trade round 2 than reverse

it means though im basically locking my round 3 trades to be

Nroo to super premo e.g. buddy (with cahs made on other trade)

+ Rookie to Premo i traded out the round before.

mezzoculo

Personally, I thin that trading like this early in the season could really bit you in the arse later in the season. Where you would be using early trades to 'sideways' these speculative guys others are brining in the best cashcows or upgrading to premiums. The best time to go all sideways is AFTER you have a complete or near complete team.

Holz

Quote from: mezzoculo on January 15, 2013, 03:05:24 PM
Personally, I thin that trading like this early in the season could really bit you in the arse later in the season. Where you would be using early trades to 'sideways' these speculative guys others are brining in the best cashcows or upgrading to premiums. The best time to go all sideways is AFTER you have a complete or near complete team.

round 3-4 is way too early to be cashing in guys. so really if you dont do sideways trades than your just moving rookies around. Im confident in my rookie picks that just fixing up 1 or 2 is enough i dont need to use all the trades fixing rookies.

Bones Bombers

Hmm premonition?

Ricochet

Quote from: Bones Bombers on January 15, 2013, 03:42:53 PM

Hmm premonition?
haha yeh I'm psychic, saw it coming.
meant Saints  :-[

Andrew

I've got Riewoldt and Nick dal Santo locked to start. Both are sure to be averaging 100 after the first 3 rounds, and who's to say both players won't score well vs Essendon? (NDS scored 105 last year vs Essendon) Regardless, I'm going to mega cash myself by demoting both players to a rookie/mid-pricer that I've missed out on.

Horses for Courses is definitely the phrase for what looks like the best strategy to get ahead this season. Gotta take a few risks with starting players. But playing a bit of traditional DT by looking for set & forget players to start with still has its place. I'm looking for that balance with my starting squad.