Guns n Midpricer team vs Guns n Rooks team

Started by Football Factory, January 12, 2013, 12:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on which team strategy is the best

Will starting with more money making players help you reach your goal of upgrading your team earlier ?

Will starting with more money making players affect your starting scores ?

Which team will make you more cash the Guns n Midpricers team or the Guns n Rooks team ?

I have tried to keep the premo's and rooks similar to make it a little easier predicting the 2 teams scores .. so dont worry too much about what averages i have given to the players it's more just a guide of how the teams will score compared to each other.

Guns n Rooks

Brendon Goddard(100), Jack Grimes(95), Bryce Gibbs(100), Greg Broughton(90), Jasper Pittard(65), Brett Goodes(65)
Sam Docherty(55), Dean Terlich(65)

Dane Swan(130), Gary Ablett jnr(125), Trent Cotchin(115), Jack Redden(110), Marc Murphy(110), Kane Mitchell(70), Brad Crouch(65), Jaeger O'Meara(80)
Matt Jones(65), Jack Viney(65)

Todd Goldstein(95), Matthew Leuenberger(90)
Sam Rowe(20), Daniel Currie(55)

Dean Cox(95), Steve Johnson(95), Tom Rockliff(95), Mitch Robinson(95), Brent Macaffer(60), Brent Staker(60)
Tom Lee(55), Tim Membrey(45)

Guns = 15 (i have included Leuey as a gun as he will be in any serious team)

Rooks = 15 

TOTAL SCORE: 2015 + Swannys extra captains points 130 = 2145 (yes seems a little high but just a guide)

Guns n Midpricers

Brendon Goddard(100), Jack Grimes(95), Bryce Gibbs(100), Greg Broughton(90), Jasper Pittard(65), Brett Goodes(65)
Sam Docherty(55), Dean Terlich(65)

Dane Swan(130), Gary Ablett jnr(125), Dayne Beams(115), Trent Cotchin(115), Luke Ball(90), Andrew Embley(85), Oliver Wines(70), Jaeger O'Meara(80)
Kane Mitchell(70), Matt Jones(65)

Todd Goldstein(95), Matthew Leuenberger(90)
Sam Rowe(20), Daniel Currie(55)

Dean Cox(95), Steve Johnson(95), Tom Rockliff(95), Chris Knights(80), Travis Varcoe(75), Brent Macaffer(60)
Brent Staker(60), Tom Lee(55)

Guns = 13

Rooks = 13

Midpricers = 4

TOTAL SCORE: 2010  + Swannys extra captains points 130 = 2140

Next i tried to calculate profit made from each player from both teams .. i didnt bother with the premo's as its too hard to work out what profit if any they make. I based their profit on the averages i made for them then using the current prices/averages as a guide from the fanplanner.

example.. my average for Varcoe 75 makes him worth 380k .. his price 234k = 140k profit (i have rounded them down)

Guns n Rooks

Brendon Goddard, Jack Grimes, Bryce Gibbs, Greg Broughton, Jasper Pittard(200), Brett Goodes(210)
Sam Docherty(170), Dean Terlich(230)

Dane Swan, Gary Ablett jnr, Trent Cotchin, Jack Redden, Marc Murphy, Kane Mitchell(230), Brad Crouch(220), Jaeger O'Meara(310)
Matt Jones(230), Jack Viney((230)

Todd Goldstein, Matthew Leuenberger
Sam Rowe(30), Daniel Currie(180)

Dean Cox, Steve Johnson, Tom Rockliff, Mitch Robinson, Brent Macaffer(180), Brent Staker(180)
Tom Lee(180), Tim Membrey(140)

PROFIT: $2920

Guns n Midpricers

Brendon Goddard, Jack Grimes, Bryce Gibbs, Greg Broughton, Jasper Pittard(200k), Brett Goodes(210)
Sam Docherty(170), Dean Terlich(230)

Dane Swan, Gary Ablett jnr, Dayne Beams, Trent Cotchin, Luke Ball(120), Andrew Embley(180), Oliver Wines(200), Jaeger O'Meara(310)
Kane Mitchell(230), Matt Jones(230)

Todd Goldstein, Matthew Leuenberger
Sam Rowe(30), Daniel Currie(180)

Dean Cox, Steve Johnson, Tom Rockliff, Chris Knights(150), Travis Varcoe(140), Brent Macaffer(180)
Brent Staker(180), Tom Lee(180)

PROFIT: $3120

SUMMARY:

It seems there isnt much difference between the 2 teams

Scoring they are similar .. Guns n Midpricers has an extra 200k profit but has 2 less premo's

You could argue that there isnt much difference between job security of the 2 teams. The difference being .. GnR has 2 more premo's and 2 more rooks  vs  GnM  4 midpricers.

There is a showerload of variables involved with this (scoring and profit) and maybe it isnt the best guide .. but it is what it is and if i take it seriously then the only difference between the 2 teams is.... Will the 200k extra cash and better JS of my midpricers make up for the 2 less premo's i start with ?

Mr.Craig

It's the age old question isn't it - G/R vs Midpricers.

I don't think I would ever tie myself down to one strategy, I pick the players I want/can afford and that's the way it is. Having said that, I would generally prefer to go into the season with a rookie rather than a midpricer because rookies are easy enough to fix if they go wrong. A failed midpricer may not have a viable sideways trade, you probably won't have the cash to immediately jump to a premium and dropping down to a rookie could leave you with unused cash for a couple of rounds.

But that's the kind of attitude that led to me missing out on Ebert and Shiels so what do I know. ::)

Football Factory

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 12, 2013, 12:46:53 AM
It's the age old question isn't it - G/R vs Midpricers.

I don't think I would ever tie myself down to one strategy, I pick the players I want/can afford and that's the way it is. Having said that, I would generally prefer to go into the season with a rookie rather than a midpricer because rookies are easy enough to fix if they go wrong. A failed midpricer may not have a viable sideways trade, you probably won't have the cash to immediately jump to a premium and dropping down to a rookie could leave you with unused cash for a couple of rounds.

But that's the kind of attitude that led to me missing out on Ebert and Shiels so what do I know. ::)
You make some good points there Mr.Craig

Mr.Craig

Football Factory

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 12, 2013, 12:57:40 AM
Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on January 12, 2013, 12:48:42 AM
You make some good points there Mr.Craig

Just don't ask how I learnt that. :-[
These things happen .. otherwise we would be driving around in FJ Cruisers   8)

Mr.Craig

It is kind of amazing how badly I've screwed up my starting squads in the last two years but still managed some respectable rankings.

Anyway, right now I'm only going in with Embley as a genuine midpricer but I'm still struggling with the Premo/Rookie vs Knights/Varcoe brain teaser for F5/F6. I think it's really interesting how you projected the money you'd make from different teams, it's something I'll look at incorporating into my decision making from now on. :)

Football Factory

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 12, 2013, 01:10:39 AM
It is kind of amazing how badly I've screwed up my starting squads in the last two years but still managed some respectable rankings.

Anyway, right now I'm only going in with Embley as a genuine midpricer but I'm still struggling with the Premo/Rookie vs Knights/Varcoe brain teaser for F5/F6. I think it's really interesting how you projected the money you'd make from different teams, it's something I'll look at incorporating into my decision making from now on. :)
Thanks buddy ... i like to take into account how much money a player can make me but its hard to say sometimes, so many variables ..will they play, will they get subbed, how much is a realistic average for a rookie ? Ive struggled with the Varcoe option for a while thats what made me downgrade a forward premo into Varcoe and upgrade a midfield rook into Ball

Ziplock

midpricers are less liable to be subbed as well

Football Factory

Quote from: Ziplock on January 12, 2013, 01:38:43 AM
midpricers are less liable to be subbed as well
Im hoping thats the case Zip .. thats what has me going with the Guns n Midpricers at the moment

tbagrocks

High draft picks subbed early on, (before byes) excluding GWS

Clay Smith
Kerridge
Wingard
Ellis
Hill
Crozier
Polec

Sure there were more, Neale, Del'olio, this is an alarming number of higher picked rookies to wear a vest in 2012 :-\

Mr.Craig

The thing is that if you pay 150k-250k more or whatever on a midpricer as opposed to a rookie then that money has to come from somewhere in your team. If you are commiting to one mid pricer it will more than likely force your hand to pick another. ie - Premo/Rookie vs Knights/Varcoe or Premo/Rookie vs Ball/Embley.

I'm not saying either strategy is right or wrong it's more an observation that most teams will end up looking either G/R or Midpriced.

Not entirely sure what I wrote made any sense...it's getting late. :P

essendon2

I really like the Guns n Midpricers team! the only thing I'd do is..

Cotchin --> Viney - Bank: 470k
Macaffer --> Sylvia - Bank: 200k
Knights --> Robinson

Then it'd be a much more all rounded team! but hey, that's just me

Football Factory

Quote from: essendon2 on January 12, 2013, 11:06:06 AM

Knights --> Robinson

But then it takes your midfield down to 3 premo's and 2 midpricers and increases your starting rooks to 3. The idea of the midpricer team is the extra cash it makes along with better JS

I dont think Sylvia will be a top 6 forward and wont really make you any cash. Has never played a full season in the 9 years he's been at Melbourne. If you think he can score well in the opening games and sideways trade him then maybe he is an option..

essendon2

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on January 12, 2013, 11:52:58 AM
Quote from: essendon2 on January 12, 2013, 11:06:06 AM

Knights --> Robinson

But then it takes your midfield down to 3 premo's and 2 midpricers and increases your starting rooks to 3. The idea of the midpricer team is the extra cash it makes along with better JS

I dont think Sylvia will be a top 6 forward and wont really make you any cash. Has never played a full season in the 9 years he's been at Melbourne. If you think he can score well in the opening games and sideways trade him then maybe he is an option..
it take your starting to rooks to 3... but then your FWD line won't be super weak anymore!
you can't just rely on your MID to score all the points for you!

Sylvia has the potential to go 90+ quite easily, just like he showed us last year: after Round 16, he averaged 91! if he averages 90+ he'll rise a nice 50k

Ball + Embley + cash to upgrade around the ground will earn you more profits and points (long term) compared to Gun + Rook + rook!

Football Factory