Playing Prospects of Sydney Young Guys

Started by timmyparso, January 09, 2013, 01:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: SydneyRox on January 10, 2013, 12:47:48 AM
Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on January 10, 2013, 12:24:50 AM
Chances of Jake Lloyd getting a game?

Slim to none. As a rookie he isnt getting upgraded anytime soon, and from the things i have read he was picked up due to his athletisim and running ability, hoping he could improve his skills.

Averaged 28 touches in Tac cup, played 2 vfl games later in year and won the coacjes award in tac comp so i think his skills are alright. Reckon the only thing holding him back is he is skinny, but hey so is fyfe. Maybe next year :/

SydneyRox

Your right FARK ( wow - never thought I would type those words!! :) )

It wasnt LLoyd the article was on, but Richards.

More research on my part, shows Lloyd could be a little gem for us to slip to the rookie draft. Still cant see him getting a game early on as there are no spots, but one for the future by the sounds of it.

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: SydneyRox on January 10, 2013, 03:07:49 PM
Your right FARK ( wow - never thought I would type those words!! :) )

It wasnt LLoyd the article was on, but Richards.

More research on my part, shows Lloyd could be a little gem for us to slip to the rookie draft. Still cant see him getting a game early on as there are no spots, but one for the future by the sounds of it.

Theyve recruited very smart

Towers in national draft brings a mid who can play straight away and at a high level which is what they need, their premiership window will only be open for 2-3 years max.

Then theyve drafted all these young development projects like lloyd and richards and brandon jack. These guys wont play for 2-3 years but will be the future if sydneys best 22

Mr.Craig

Fantasy Freako ‏@FantasyFreako 

Jed Lamb averaged 28 disposals, 7 clearances, 7 inside 50s and 7 tackles in his last 5 games in the NEAFL. #cashcow

timmyparso

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 15, 2013, 03:21:52 AM
Fantasy Freako ‏@FantasyFreako 

Jed Lamb averaged 28 disposals, 7 clearances, 7 inside 50s and 7 tackles in his last 5 games in the NEAFL. #cashcow

Hmmmmm, looking for a forward rookie spot, it's his if he can crack into the senior team.

Capper

realistically its Morton's spot that is up for grabs from the GF team but McGlynn has to come back into the team as well

SydneyRox

Quote from: tabs on January 15, 2013, 02:53:01 PM
realistically its Morton's spot that is up for grabs from the GF team but McGlynn has to come back into the team as well

Agreed. And the first rookie to get a crack will probably be Membrey

Capper

Quote from: SydneyRox on January 15, 2013, 02:54:20 PM
Quote from: tabs on January 15, 2013, 02:53:01 PM

Agreed. And the first rookie to get a crack will probably be Membrey
yep, cant see Everitt or Armstrong getting a game in front of Membrey if we need a forward

mezzoculo

Not quite in the same league as an 'official' club article, but I think that this article has merit:

http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl/afl-clubs/towers-to-fit-into-swans-premiership-line-up/

Title is "Towers to fit into Swans premiership line-up"...

SydneyRox

Towers is in the mix, but he has some stiff competition to get into the midfield rotation. Harry Cunningham is the most likely of the non premiership players to get a shot IMO, most likely for injuries, as I cant see too much changing in the mids too much.

However our fwd line was "under development" all last year, as they rotated players through to get a fit. Morton took his chances over the finals, so will most likely get a round 1 spot if he does the right thing in preseason.

Capper

Towers is more an outside mid as wellso he will up against guys like Jetta, Dan Han, Rok as well as fighting for a position in the team with Mitchell, Cunners, Parker

mezzoculo

I can't disagree with any of that. However, I still think he's more likely than not to start.

If Towers wasn't drafted to play early, then why was he picked up with the  club's first selection? Pick 22 with a mature (read AFL ready) ready body? As has been pointed out - the club has plenty of midfield depth, so why would an astute drafting team like the Swans use such a valuable pick on a middle-aged, reserve level player? Would go against years of successful drafting.

Its an interesting one.  :D

SydneyRox

You make a good point, but the guys he is up against for the spot (not including the stars)

Luke Parker - 20 - Pick 40 in 2011. Has established himself in 2012 with 19 games Avg 16 disposals
Harry Cunningham - 20 - Rookie upgarde who smashed the NAB cup last year, only managed one game as he was rookie listed
Tom Mitchell - 19 - Pick 21 in 2011 But would have gone top 10 if not father/son

Some impressive young kids who all have AFL ready bodies and who will all get game time in 2013 - Parker should play almost every game, the others, including Tower looking to cement a spot.

Capper

but in a couple of years when the likes of Goodes, McVeigh and Bolton leave these kids will be near there peak........

along with the likes of Jetta, Rohan, dan han...

mezzoculo

Quote from: tabs on January 15, 2013, 05:39:11 PM
but in a couple of years when the likes of Goodes, McVeigh and Bolton leave these kids will be near there peak........

along with the likes of Jetta, Rohan, dan han...
Its the "couple of years" bit that doesn't sit with me. I can understand such a rationale for younger players but not a 25 year old!