Top 10 Forwards - Dean Cox

Started by mpollock, January 07, 2013, 06:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpollock

Dean Cox

- Of the top 10 forwards this season in SC only Dean Cox played all 22 games last year
- He also averaged the 3rd highest (or 2nd if you don't count NicNac who may miss the start of the season out) of the 10.
- He has DPP status and can be used in conjunction with McBean as your 4th ruck option (usually a throw away position)
- 4 of the last 5 years he has averaged over 100
- He has played 22 games in each of the past 3 seasons
- Given NicNac may not start the season, this can only help his scoring
- He also plays in a good side
- WCE get a lot of free kicks which doesn't hurt
- Share the round 11 bye with these other teams: Geelong, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney Swans

I am surprised how many sides i see without him ... i know he is a little expensive but surely he is worth it?

Ringo

In my team mate - Just a note though it is the Round 12 bye not Round 11.

My concern with Nic Nat and only my opinion groin injuries are not easily gotten over so could be favouring it for a while as well. 

GraysFan

Quote from: mpollock on January 07, 2013, 06:50:27 PM
Dean Cox

- Of the top 10 forwards this season in SC only Dean Cox played all 22 games last year
- He also averaged the 3rd highest (or 2nd if you don't count NicNac who may miss the start of the season out) of the 10.
- He has DPP status and can be used in conjunction with McBean as your 4th ruck option (usually a throw away position)
- Share the round 11 bye with these other teams: Geelong, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney Swans

I am surprised how many sides i see without him ... i know he is a little expensive but surely he is worth it?

Nicnat is only missing the NAB cup, then he is back.. People are probably not selecting him because they believe his age will mean he wont get as much midfield time compared to the up and coming nicnat.. I would personally select Nicnat because of his improvements each year and because Cox will most likely decrease because of his age

masedog333

Quote from: mpollock on January 07, 2013, 06:50:27 PM
Dean Cox

yeah all those reasons point towards getting him, but you didn't mention the negatives, such as age, which is the big one. A player could have achieved all those SC feats in the past, and play in a good side and all that, but if he is too old he is too old. He should probably average around 95 i reckon, but guys like Franklin, Rockliff, Thomas, Johnson, Martin, Zorko, Sylvia, Ryder, Roughead and even Nic Nat despite an interrupted preseason, all offer better value for money and most of them will score better than Cox IMO.

mpollock

Sorry, typo on the bye round but the teams they share it with are correct. :)

Still hearing Cox is getting old but still averaging 110 and not missing games ...
More likely they will managed NicNac as he has had an interrupted pre-season and then tend to put the new stars in cotton wool a bit.

Cox is old school and will play if he is dead ... as a reliable DDP seems a no brainer.

Bones Bombers

He is a proven gun. Can't believe people are so keen to jump off him because he MIGHT drop off due to his age. His game against North down here in Hobart last year was awesome, he's still got it in him.
If I'm proven wrong, so be it.

Grazz

Cox is in my team, i still think hell be in the top 6-8 fwds. Eventually he'll move from my fwds to the ruck and one of the other top 6 fwds will come in.  Hasnt shown any signs of slowing down. Gun.  ;)

demon_spud

Another concern with Cox is the return of injured players for Eagles.  Who most likely will take some of the goal kicking from Cox s he was a big target for a lot of the offensive polay (same as Nic Nat).

Still could remain a key target with Lynch back and would assume he will get score like Buddy high's and some monster scores if he is on target.

Might watch his fitness level and how their forwards line up, will be starting Nic Nat over him in the fwds.

mpollock

Cox has averaged over 100 with various WCE sides over a long period ... don't think we need to worry about the likes of Darling killing his scores ...

His fitness is obviously ok with 3 years of 22 games in a row at his old tender age of 31 ...he will be managed over the pre-season as all senior players are so it will be hard to tell from watching the NAB etc ... unless you get down to watch them train.

Sounds like people think 31 is absolutely over the hill or something ...  ;)

Grazz

Quote from: mpollock on January 08, 2013, 12:51:56 AM
Cox has averaged over 100 with various WCE sides over a long period ... don't think we need to worry about the likes of Darling killing his scores ...

His fitness is obviously ok with 3 years of 22 games in a row at his old tender age of 31 ...he will be managed over the pre-season as all senior players are so it will be hard to tell from watching the NAB etc ... unless you get down to watch them train.

Sounds like people think 31 is absolutely over the hill or something ...  ;)

+1 Boyd was 30-31 last year and still smashed it, i have no doubt his time will come when we put him out to pasture but it wont be 2013. I'll take the risk if a risk is how some see him.

Southstorm

Will only start Cox if Nic Nat isn't playing. I think Cox will finish among the top 6 FWD's for average but I've never been keen on having two players of the same team and of the same position in the same SC team.

Will be starting Cox as a FWD to take advantage of Sandilands/Leuenberger combo.

quinny88

After reading this Cox just went up a level on my list  ;D

GM

Last year was the first year i didnt pick Big Cox.
Because of age and the Nic Nat factor convinced me to pick another.
Locked for me but R1.

jamabadar

Lock him in: Scott Burns just gave him the wrap for being the best at training yesterday absoutly flying age ha ha don't forget he is a ruckman they get better with age.
Scotty also gave Scott Selwood huge wraps improved his running from 10th to 2nd-3rd in squad, Embley set his fastest time ever ? can't remember over what distance.
He also gave the impression that Nic would stuggle to be ready rnd 1 also Waters is a maybe for rnd 1.

T Dog

and dont forget the bonus he offers of a DPP option with a rook R4 who has DPP on the bench