Why is everyone picking Cotchin over Watson?

Started by essendon2, January 04, 2013, 07:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

In summary, from my point of view and bias aside, both players are dominant in their roles in the team, and are hard to tag (or sometimes teams find it more effective to tag teammates). Cotchin has shown he can break a tag, prompting teams to try to tag deledio to curb cotch's influence indirectly, but if he does find himself tagged, he has also shown that he can push forward and score DT points up there all the same. Watson is so powerful he can also break a tag or move up forward to use his marking ability to continue fantasy scoring wherever he is on the ground, and is less prone to tags because as you said, taggin stants is far more effective. No matter how much inside ball Watson gets, it will only be effective if he can get it to the outside and it can be used out there by players such as Stants, meaning that if players stop outside flow, they effectively curb Watson's ability to influence games out of the middle.

I see both players as stars of the game, and the only reason I am picking Cotchin over Watson at the moment is purely the fact that, while both had career best years in 2012, Cotchin is younger than Watson, and therefore, in my opinion, has more room for natural development of his games which should lead to increased fantasy scoring.

Don't get me wrong, they'll probably be very even in 2013, and I'll probably end up with both come finals, but that's my logic.

Football Factory

Quote from: Toga on January 07, 2013, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: azza707 on January 07, 2013, 07:44:34 PM
And here we are debating who was the better team all the way back pre 1980's era when we are trying to select players for DT 2013.....

Can people seriously forget the clubs as a whole just for once? how freakin hard is it. As an outside supporter, I see both clubs pushing very strongly for the 8 this year, essendon more so than the tigers if they can replicate last seasons form for a longer period. however that doesnt matter, the point is about the players and what they will achieve.

Quote from: strikes91 on January 07, 2013, 03:17:26 AM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 05, 2013, 11:44:33 PM
only reason Rocky dropped off is because Voss put him forward nothing to do with his ability, Hardwick wont do the same

there was times though last year when cotchin was plumped up forward for a while. he was good though to kick goals and take marks. if he's put in there again there's no guarantee he'll do that... being said though i would take him over watson but i will be picking neither

How can you say that? if he did it last year, surely he will do it again this year? I think both Watson and Cotchin are quite dangerous targets up forward and can manufacture goals out of nowhere making both of them excellent picks. Cotchin kicked something like 1.5 in a game towards the end of the season and still scored 110+ (dont take my word thats just from memory, no idea what the actual stats were). I think both players are extremely hard workers, and both of them proved last year that even with the tag, they can still pump out moega scores. Cotchin dominated the 2nd half of the season when he worked himself into some brilliant form while Watson dropped off along with the whole essendon team.

I think you dont need to be all that worried with Cotchin being tagged as he will go forward and kick bags, hes such a smart player and just knows how to work himself out of even the tightest situations. As a youngster, can only really improve from here and can seem him averaging 115+ Cotchin is a big chance for the brownlow imo in 2013 if he can maintain that ripper form.

Watson is an absolute workhorse and still influences the game hard tag or not. Gets on the end of some brilliant team goals and can go forward for a nice +12. Goddard in the mids now may detract a little attention from Jobe, but i dont think teams will actually tag Watson that much. I think youll find that teams will actually opt to tag Stanton out of the game as he is so very easily shut down, despite being nowhere near as influential, is easily eliminated from a game, and Goddard can go missing. Watson will dominate no matter who plays on him, so i think teams will actually line up their best midfielder on him in a head to head contest.

Both players are very equal and likely to average very similar come years end and there is such little difference between them. in saying that i have opted for Cotchin at this point in time, but Watson is just as good a pick and i wouldnt hesitate in picking him.

+1 well said mate, while it showers me that people will make throwaway comments like have been made in this thread about their team being better than another based on no fact whatsoever other than pure opinion, i completely agree, i can't be flowered arguing, and after all, this thread is talking about which player to pick in DT next year.

In summary, from my point of view, both players are dominant in their roles in the team, and are hard to tag (or sometimes teams find it more effective to tag teammates). Cotchin has shown he can break a tag, prompting teams to try to tag deledio to curb cotch's influence indirectly, but if he does find himself tagged, he has also shown that he can push forward and score DT points up there all the same. Watson is so powerful he can also break a tag or move up forward to use his marking ability to continue fantasy scoring wherever he is on the ground, and is less prone to tags because as you said, taggin stants is far more effective. No matter how much inside ball Watson gets, it will only be effective if he can get it to the outside and it can be used out there by players such as Stants, meaning that if players stop outside flow, they effectively curb Watson's ability to influence games out of the middle.

I see both players as stars of the game, and the only reason I am picking Cotchin over Watson at the moment is purely the fact that, while both had career best years in 2012, Cotchin is younger than Watson, and therefore, in my opinion, has more room for natural development of his games which should lead to increased fantasy scoring.

Don't get me wrong, they'll probably be very even in 2013, and I'll probably end up with both come finals, but that's my logic.

I hope people aren't talking about me, as i was responding to Ziplocks post (who doesn't barrack for the bombers or richmond)  I said nothing about Richmond i merely responded to his stats with more stats, and then said only good things about Richmond in response.

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on January 07, 2013, 06:37:37 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on January 07, 2013, 06:32:36 PM
richmond have won a reasonable amount of premierships as well haven't they? The point was that nobody saw the tigers as threat because they've been harmless for so long... like essendon?

and lol, yeah, you won premierships under one of the greatest coaches of all time... who was a tiger :P
They have won 10 VFL premierships, but no AFL premierships. their last premiership came in 1980. Sheedy what a legend, got anymore quality tigers that can do it again for us .. I personally like the Tigers, hope they do well in 2013 and they have a ripper club song  :P

azza707

Not talking about anyone in particular, just cant get over the amount of stupid club banter that goes on when selecting individual players...

essendon2

Quote from: azza707 on January 07, 2013, 10:51:07 PM
Not talking about anyone in particular, just cant get over the amount of stupid club banter that goes on when selecting individual players...
Yeah i don't agree with half the banter! but this was a discussion about why everyone is picking Cotchin over Watson not Richmond vs Essendon!

kilbluff1985

Quote from: azza707 on January 07, 2013, 10:51:07 PM

+1000

Bones Bombers

Quote from: Bones Bombers on January 04, 2013, 10:04:33 PM
I think both these guys are guns and will average about the same. They even play similar I think. Both have shown they can handle the tag and go forward and kick goals.
I don't have either in DT at the moment but I have Jobe in SC.
I plan to have both ASAP.
I too have noticed most teams have Cotch and very few have Jobe, you should just be happy to have a pod.
Funny thing guys, I now have both!