Why is everyone picking Cotchin over Watson?

Started by essendon2, January 04, 2013, 07:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Bieber

essendon2

Still no idea out of Beams, Pendles, Cotchin or Watson and it's frustrating me already and we've still got 2.5 months to go!  :-[

Torress

tbagrocks

Pendles for me, the others will be the cheaper Murphy, Redden, Dangerfield and Fyfe, all should move into the elite category

Justin Bieber

I might chuck in my mids:

Murphy, Ablett, Pendles, Cotchin, Redden and maybe one other. Just for fun.

essendon2

I just don't trust Dale Thomas.... I still think Cox is the way to go, especially with NicNat not having a pre-season

azza707

think both players a pretty much the same as stated by a few. Cotchin is younger and obviously has more upside. he dominated in the second half of the season when he really got going, did attract the no1 tag a lot of the time but still continued to rack it up. Watson also has some upsisde with goddard moving into the team and shifting all the attention away from him. expect cotchin to raise his average but dont see job moving much further than the 115 mark imo.

strikes91

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 05, 2013, 11:44:33 PM
only reason Rocky dropped off is because Voss put him forward nothing to do with his ability, Hardwick wont do the same

there was times though last year when cotchin was plumped up forward for a while. he was good though to kick goals and take marks. if he's put in there again there's no guarantee he'll do that... being said though i would take him over watson but i will be picking neither

Bones Bombers

Plus there seem to be a lot of Essendon haters, but not many hate Richmond. Probably cos they've been harmless for a long time.

essendon2

Quote from: Bones Bombers on January 07, 2013, 04:20:15 PM
Plus there seem to be a lot of Essendon haters, but not many hate Richmond. Probably cos they've been harmless for a long time.
+1 million

Ziplock

ummm,what?

essendon  are hardly boasting a better record...

since 2005 they've come

13th
15th
12th
12th
lost to adelaide in elimation final by 96 points
14th
Lost carlton in elimination final by 60+ points
11th

honestly, I pity essendon as much as I do richmond- tigers haven't made finals in a while, but at least they haven't embarrassed  themselves in what appearances they have made.

the reason why people dislike essendon has little to do with the team, and mostly to do with feral, one eyed supporters, who constantly talk their team up, when they never deliver :)

*note* not saying you guys are such supporters, but there seems to be an inordinate number of them around.

Football Factory

Quote from: Ziplock on January 07, 2013, 06:11:19 PM
ummm,what?

essendon  are hardly boasting a better record...

since 2005 they've come

13th
15th
12th
12th
lost to adelaide in elimation final by 96 points
14th
Lost carlton in elimination final by 60+ points
11th

honestly, I pity essendon as much as I do richmond- tigers haven't made finals in a while, but at least they haven't embarrassed  themselves in what appearances they have made.

the reason why people dislike essendon has little to do with the team, and mostly to do with feral, one eyed supporters, who constantly talk their team up, when they never deliver :)

*note* not saying you guys are such supporters, but there seems to be an inordinate number of them around.
Can you do one from the 80s onwards now thanks  :)

From memory we have won the most Premierships with Carlton  8)

And also can you tell me how many times we made the finals under Sheedy

Ziplock

richmond have won a reasonable amount of premierships as well haven't they? The point was that nobody saw the tigers as threat because they've been harmless for so long... like essendon?

and lol, yeah, you won premierships under one of the greatest coaches of all time... who was a tiger :P

Football Factory

Quote from: Ziplock on January 07, 2013, 06:32:36 PM
richmond have won a reasonable amount of premierships as well haven't they? The point was that nobody saw the tigers as threat because they've been harmless for so long... like essendon?

and lol, yeah, you won premierships under one of the greatest coaches of all time... who was a tiger :P
They have won 10 VFL premierships, but no AFL premierships. their last premiership came in 1980. Sheedy what a legend, got anymore quality tigers that can do it again for us .. I personally like the Tigers, hope they do well in 2013 and they have a ripper club song  :P

azza707

And here we are debating who was the better team all the way back pre 1980's era when we are trying to select players for DT 2013.....

Can people seriously forget the clubs as a whole just for once? how freakin hard is it. As an outside supporter, I see both clubs pushing very strongly for the 8 this year, essendon more so than the tigers if they can replicate last seasons form for a longer period. however that doesnt matter, the point is about the players and what they will achieve.

quote author=strikes91 link=topic=70369.msg956985#msg956985 date=1357489046]
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 05, 2013, 11:44:33 PM
only reason Rocky dropped off is because Voss put him forward nothing to do with his ability, Hardwick wont do the same

there was times though last year when cotchin was plumped up forward for a while. he was good though to kick goals and take marks. if he's put in there again there's no guarantee he'll do that... being said though i would take him over watson but i will be picking neither
[/quote]

How can you say that? if he did it last year, surely he will do it again this year? I think both Watson and Cotchin are quite dangerous targets up forward and can manufacture goals out of nowhere making both of them excellent picks. Cotchin kicked something like 1.5 in a game towards the end of the season and still scored 110+ (dont take my word thats just from memory, no idea what the actual stats were). I think both players are extremely hard workers, and both of them proved last year that even with the tag, they can still pump out moega scores. Cotchin dominated the 2nd half of the season when he worked himself into some brilliant form while Watson dropped off along with the whole essendon team.

I think you dont need to be all that worried with Cotchin being tagged as he will go forward and kick bags, hes such a smart player and just knows how to work himself out of even the tightest situations. As a youngster, can only really improve from here and can seem him averaging 115+ Cotchin is a big chance for the brownlow imo in 2013 if he can maintain that ripper form.

Watson is an absolute workhorse and still influences the game hard tag or not. Gets on the end of some brilliant team goals and can go forward for a nice +12. Goddard in the mids now may detract a little attention from Jobe, but i dont think teams will actually tag Watson that much. I think youll find that teams will actually opt to tag Stanton out of the game as he is so very easily shut down, despite being nowhere near as influential, is easily eliminated from a game, and Goddard can go missing. Watson will dominate no matter who plays on him, so i think teams will actually line up their best midfielder on him in a head to head contest.

Both players are very equal and likely to average very similar come years end and there is such little difference between them. in saying that i have opted for Cotchin at this point in time, but Watson is just as good a pick and i wouldnt hesitate in picking him.