JROO8's Player Watch: Colin Sylvia

Started by Jroo, January 02, 2013, 06:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

Colin Sylvia - Midfielder/Forward - $433 400 â€" Melbourne

Colin Sylvia has disappointed many SuperCoaches in the past, but I wouldn't be putting a line through his name just yet.

Sylvia’s angered many in the past by missing games with both injury and suspension. Durability is an issue with Sylvia as he has never played over 19 games in a single season and plays an average of 16 games a season (not including his debut season when he only played 3 games), which is a  real concern if he's going to be considered as a premium forward. But when Sylvia is on the park he is a good scorer averaging 90, 88, 96 and 81 SuperCoach points respectively in the last four years.

2012 didn't start how Sylvia would have liked missing the first 4 rounds of the season through injury. When he did make it back into the AFL, he was far from his best averaging 49 SuperCoach points up until Melbourne's bye in round 12. When Sylvia came back after the bye though he was on fire, playing every game for the rest of the year and averaging 98 SuperCoach points and only scoring under 89 twice. Sylvia started to really get going in the last three rounds of the year averaging 115 SuperCoach points, as he was playing more midfield time which could be a sign of things to come in 2013.

Sylvia is an explosive midfielder who can also go forward and can kick bags of goals, which is SuperCoach gold as it can result in some huge SuperCoach scores as we have seen in the past. I know every year we say it, but Sylvia isn't far off exploding and showing his full talent as a footballer and even though he is 27 years old, he is yet to show his full potential, but I have a good feeling that 2013 could be his year.

All Sylvia needs is a bit of luck, there's no doubt about his scoring capabilities and if he can stay on the park for all 22 games, he should become a top ten SuperCoach forward.

Sylvia's mid/fwd DPP status, Melbourne's soft draw (playing Gold Coast and GWS twice which he averaged 108 points from 3 games against both teams in 2012) and being underpriced due to his poor start to the season makes him very appealing. Watch Sylvia over the pre season and if he's burning up the track than he would be an awesome unique forward choice for your SuperCoach side.

http://www.supercoachhq.com/16/post/2013/01/player-watch-colin-sylvia.html

meow meow

Quote from: some genius on March 06, 2012, 01:16:51 PM
This guy is my number one upgrade target in round 13. Pretty easy run home for the Dees

Didn't regret it. Won't regret it if I start with him in 2013. If he doesn't break his back during preseason again he's definitely worth looking at.

shorty3264

Nice write up mate. He's such a tease at that price, but i don't think I'll pick him at this stage, one to watch.

Ziplock

Quote from: meow meow on January 02, 2013, 11:06:59 PM
Quote from: some genius on March 06, 2012, 01:16:51 PM
This guy is my number one upgrade target in round 13. Pretty easy run home for the Dees

Didn't regret it. Won't regret it if I start with him in 2013. If he doesn't break his back during preseason again he's definitely worth looking at.

I was going to do the same, but from memory I had a couple of injuries in the backline to deal with around then :/

Southstorm

Good value at that price, tossing up between Sylvia and Martin for the F4 spot. Both are due (overdue) for a good season you'd think. I checked and confirmed he didn't get thrown out of the G' so that's one less cloud over his head.

Windigo

Was seen in the rehab group during preseason reportedly because of an injury stemming right back to last preseason.  :o

lozza63

I can see his great potential but 2 things concern me with Colin:

1. Primarily his mental state - does he really want to show the way as why isnt he in the leadership group after 136 games?
2. His body - the last 4 years he has only averaged 17 games per year at 89 sc points - a repeat of 2011 would be great though. I guess his PS has been good and the 30 trades do cushion the dissapointment of a repeat of last year.

MTTY

Quote from: Windigo on January 29, 2013, 02:00:58 PM
Was seen in the rehab group during preseason reportedly because of an injury stemming right back to last preseason.  :o

Yeah he's having minor issues with the back injury he suffered in NAB last year. (Given Melbourne's new regime, they have a new policy whereby injury history has been studied and players are given schedules, off days etc. in relation to avoiding re-occuring common injuries). Should be fine, but it has been said that his back won't be the same ever again, after last years nab injury.

GM

His price is attractive,but too injury prone for me.
If he is still having problems from previous injuries imo will not play 22 games.
He will be managed throughout the year.