Do you have the balls to get your HIGG INS?

Started by Ziplock, January 01, 2013, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-31/preseason-guide-western-bulldogs

Burning: After struggling with injury and illness in past pre-seasons, Shaun Higgins is finally getting the preparation that will give him the best chance to make the most of his considerable talent. He played mainly as a half-forward in 2012, but the 24-year-old is eager to spend more time in the midfield this year, where his clean ball-use will complement Brendan McCartney's contested-style game-plan.

he's certainly underpriced- averaging 82 unsubbed, but considering he's shown he can hit nearly 90 before....  but does anyone have the gonads to pick him? The 2013 Jack Grimes of the forward line?

Grazz

Nut sorry to say but he's chiseled into the never again list while most others are written in ink.  :P
Couldn't see me going there really but weirder things have happened.  ::)

Ziplock

Quote from: Grazz on January 01, 2013, 02:47:05 PM
Nut sorry to say but he's chiseled into the never again list while most others are written in ink.  :P

just saying, Jack Grimes was on that list for most people last year, and he beasted it :P

Football Factory

Quote from: Ziplock on January 01, 2013, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: Grazz on January 01, 2013, 02:47:05 PM

just saying, Jack Grimes was on that list for most people last year, and he beasted it :P
Yeah i didnt have the balls to put him in last year .. i will this year  ;D

tbagrocks

Sheesh I got to many cheaper forward options as it is, Wellingham and De Boer before Missy ;D With Dusty, Wright and Daisy in front of them, even Cloke before Missy :P

youl_R_FCK

I started grimes last year and that was a lot risk than higgens

Grazz

Quote from: Ziplock link=topic=70316.msg 955007#msg 955007 date=1357012607
Quote from: Grazz link=topic=70316.msg 955005#msg 955005 date=1357012025

Yeh true, a never again list is always flexible if said player is the point of difference. Missy has the talent we've seen it but not for long enough, something always goes a miss. Jack was the same and i hope he can continue to build on last year but having said that he's still a worry for me health wise, another season like last i'll start to feel more confident, will have him at some stage if all goes well in 2013. With the amount of quality mid/fwds around Missy would need to be at his best and some maybe, to hold down one of only six spots now. I get the sentiment though you really cant say never again all you can say is he's on my list.  :P

Football Factory

Quote from: Grazz on January 01, 2013, 05:50:58 PM
Quote from: Ziplock link=topic=70316.msg 955007#msg 955007 date=1357012607
Quote from: Grazz link=topic=70316.msg 955005#msg 955005 date=1357012025

Yeh true, a never again list is always flexible if said player is the point of difference. Missy has the talent we've seen it but not for long enough, something always goes a miss. Jack was the same and i hope he can continue to build on last year but having said that he's still a worry for me health wise, another season like last i'll start to feel more confident, will have him at some stage if all goes well in 2013. With the amount of quality mid/fwds around Missy would need to be at his best and some maybe, to hold down one of only six spots now. I get the sentiment though you really cant say never again all you can say is he's on my list.  :P
+ 1 .. If Missy Higgins kills it this year ill think about having him in 2014  :-\

kilbluff1985

big difference between being ballsy and stupidity

zeddyzed

I'd make Tambling captain before i picked Higgins again ;D

tbagrocks

Let's assume Rockliff gets some midfield time, Daisy and SJ stay healthy, Cox goes about his buisness, Wright and Dusty continue their development, at least one of Nic, Tex, Pav or Cloke go big, Zorko fires up again,

That's eight to choose without mentioning Chapman, Robbo, Lewis or Bartell

How's Missy going to make that top 6 ???

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 01, 2013, 03:21:11 PM
Sheesh I got to many cheaper forward options as it is, Wellingham and De Boer before Missy ;D With Dusty, Wright and Daisy in front of them, even Cloke before Missy :P

higgins only averaged 77 this year, meaning he's cheaper than all those blokes, except for cloke :P

Thats a lot of assumptions. And stop putting wright up there, he's not in the scoring league of any of those blokes.

How's higgins going to make top 6? by scoring more than all the other players :S There are concerns with all those blokes you've mentioned, higgins has always had the talent to explode, he just never has... if he stays healthy and gets more midfield time (as big assumptions are the ones you made), there's no reason why he wouldn't be able to average 100.

tbagrocks

How big are your balls Zip? Care to place a wager? Wright out scores Higgins, you in?

Ziplock

haha, I never said he wouldnt outscore higgins, I just said he wasnt in the same league as rocky, daisy, SJ, COX, Pav etc.

that being said, I'd be pretty confident that higgins would outscore wright if fit- the only concern about him has ever been his injuries.

On top of that, he's what, 50k cheaper?

tbagrocks

Players especially midfielders go from 80's to 100's every year, Sidebottom, Ebert, Grimes etc were great picks last year, some of the younger guys will do the same. I've been watching Wright come on in his two years of AFL and he has got it, kid can play, will be Adelaide's fourth mid unless Vince smashes it and he has every chance of going 95+

Is 95 enough for a top 6 ???

Imo Pav, Chappy, SJ even Cox will slide, getting the forwards right won't be easy, the hardest line to pick a top 6

What is Rocky stays forward, what if Cox plays forward more, how's Daisy's fittness, will Dusty step up, can Cloke hit back, Will Ryder play 20 games, does SJ play more forward with an emerging cats midfield

If any player gets an ave of 90+ and you start with them, say, De Boer, Higgins, Wright, Dusty, they would be a keeper, though with 30 trades you could swap for a SJ or Robbo etc if they are going better!

Personally I see value in Christensen, Dusty, Walker ::) and Wright. If they don't match the scoring of Daisy, Rocky, Pav etc then swap ;)