Previous topic - Next topic

Master Q

What laptop did you get?

JBs-Hawks

the $378 one in the jb hifi sale lol

AFEV

Quote from: pyronerd on December 31, 2012, 11:56:43 AM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on December 31, 2012, 02:23:05 AM
Just bought a cheapo laptop with my Xmas money after my last one died about a year ago. Windows 8 will be the death of me biggest piece of shower ever.
windows logic

let's take windows XP, make it look better but perform showerly, then release a whole new OS that fixes the problems but makes more, then let's put a tablet-style OS on a PC

::)
I have W8 on one of my laptops and it's not nearly as bad as people are saying. Of course getting it before SP1 is not going to go well but you still spend most of your time in the desktop which is pretty much a carbon copy of the W7 desktop.

When you do have to spend time in the Interface-Formerly-Known-As-Metro it can be OK depending on what you're using it for. The news apps are great and the overall aesthetic is nice.

But yeah if you have the choice get W7.

Mr.Craig

I went with the HP in the end, pretty happy with it so far. :)

As for Windows 8...it feels like they're trying to have the best of both worlds with a tablet/touch type interface plonked on top of the standard desktop UI. I can see some of the advantages but navigation is annoying at times. Hopefully they'll work out some of the rough edges in the next couple of years.

AFEV

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 04, 2013, 05:48:34 PM
I went with the HP in the end, pretty happy with it so far. :)

As for Windows 8...it feels like they're trying to have the best of both worlds with a tablet/touch type interface plonked on top of the standard desktop UI. I can see some of the advantages but navigation is annoying at times. Hopefully they'll work out some of the rough edges in the next couple of years.
Ew, Hewlett Packard. Would have gone with Asus, Toshiba or Lenovo.
Which model did you get?

Mr.Craig

This one -

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-pavilion-g6-2231tu-laptop.html

My old laptop was a Toshiba, did me proud but I could tell it was beginning to struggle in a few areas.

AFEV

Actually that seems like decent value especially in Aus. An mSATA drive would have been nice and hopefully it has enough DIMM slots to take 8GB of RAM down the track but for the price you can't really complain. :o

Yeah Toshiba will always serve you well, personally I'll never move away from my Mac/Asus portable devices...Yet to have a problem. :)