is ziebell the dangerfield of 2013?

Started by starz, December 27, 2012, 05:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starz

You actually got me thinking about the bombers midfield. Howletts good however as a big pod zaharakis. Going into his fifth year with the bombers on the rise playing completely midfield?

JBs-Hawks

Difference was, Danger was a forward. Really risky trying to identify mids to break out.

tbagrocks

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on December 27, 2012, 11:53:16 PM
Difference was, Danger was a forward. Really risky trying to identify mids to break out.
Surely the Christensen's, De Boar's, Wellingham's etc won't reach the level of Beams, Sidebum and Dangerman, well...

Enter Dustin Martin, surely the player who could "do a Danger" but will he? Can he?

Guessing a mid breakout is not really possible, unless you go with a Fyfe, Redden, Sloane etc who have shown signs of brilliance

However, with now 30 trades, a David Swallow, Gaff, Broadbent etc becomes viable, if only to make a 100k to upgrade to a guy like Ablett, Dangerfield, Cotchen etc, anyone who might drop nicely in price early because of huge averages, then simply make a swap

Ziplock

*sigh* people say that about people every year.

pavs nose

Although he won't be as good a player, I think ziebell could score similar to dangerfield last year in both sc & dt

My Chumps

Quote from: Ziplock on December 28, 2012, 12:28:08 AM
And it happens most years.
Murphy 2009, Fyfe 2011, Dangerfield, Sidebottom, JPK and Cotchin last year... just examples off the top of my head of breakout players. I think it makes for interesting predictions, and if you get it right, serious bragging rights ;)

Footyrulz

I've watched Zeibell for his whole career as a roos fan. He has been gradually improving although he sideways a bit last season. I think guys like him really need to improve for us to do well this season, but a big question whether he actually will.

Given he is a midfielder, I reckon it's too risky. Better options out there such as mundy, fyfe or just go a bit cheaper or more expensive for better options.

The_Captain

Ziplock

Quote from: My Chumps on December 28, 2012, 02:38:50 PM
Murphy 2009, Fyfe 2011, Dangerfield, Sidebottom, JPK and Cotchin last year... just examples off the top of my head of breakout players. I think it makes for interesting predictions, and if you get it right, serious bragging rights ;)

yeah, I know, I meant people always say that they cant see the players being good enough to break out to be worthwhile etc. etc. etc. then you have all those examples that you've put forward just showing that they're wrong. Danger averaged 118 in SC and 102 in DT... the year before he averaged 67 in DT and 80 in SC, in 2011 he only tonned up once in DT and 3 times in SC.... with a highscore of 128 in DT, 138in SC and a low score of 28 in DT and 44 in SC.

Compare that to JZ who averaged 79 in DT and 81 in SC... he tonned up once in DT and twice in SC (three times counting finals), with a highscore of 139 dt and 132 SC, and a low score of 36 DT and 41 SC (to be fair, that was due to a minor back injury and subbing though). Statistically, they're remarkably similar.

JZ- taken pick 9 in the 08 draft, 188cm, 87kg
dangerfield-  pick 10 in the 07 draft, 189cm, 92kg

so, both large bodied midfielders, taken at high draft picks. Dangerfield however is a year ahead in development.

dangerfield broke out alongside the crows rise up the table- whether he improved because the crows did, or the crows because he did, is a bit harder to judge- it's probably a mixture of both.

so, if you're willing to bet that north are going to improve, which they should with their youth, and JZ is going to live up to his talent, this year is probably the year to take the plunge.

tbagrocks

Must also consider that the Dangerman played most of his footy as a forward until let loose in 2012, still, great comparisons there Zip, Danger is a certified top gun, Ziebell though shown much promise doesn't influence games the way Danger has, even when he played forward.

I like what JZ does, and for North's sake let's hope he does the business in 013, Perhaps North need to be a top four team so, like Beams, Danger, Kennedy and Sidebum, what he does will score big SC points. Perhaps he will be a DT slut first? ???

Ziplock

you've got to remember, jz also had that leg break setting him back.

shorty3264

Quote from: My Chumps on December 28, 2012, 02:38:50 PM
Exactly, In a day and age where Supercoach is so well covered in the media, virtually everyone knows the bargain players, the ones underpriced due to injury etc. What sets the elite coaches apart from the good, is taking a risk and backing there judgement on a breakout player, with 30 trades this year the tempatation is more so. Alongside smart trading, picking the next superstar is vital.

starz

I totally agree with shorty as only half the mids from 2011 state in the top 8 in 2012. If you look at Cotchin danger and Kennedy they were all in there fifth seasons. It's funny how we talk about a third year break out but it seems more likely a fifth year breakout is better. Well thats when players seem to go to elite status. Anyway here's my two cents. Although this very unlikely this is my predictions.
Danger of 2013= jack ziebell
Cotchin of 2013= Luke shuey or David Zaharakis
Beams of 2013= Nathan fyfe.
It will be funny come seasons end to see how my predictions went.

shorty3264

Quote from: starz on December 29, 2012, 01:46:04 PM
I totally agree with shorty as only half the mids from 2011 state in the top 8 in 2012. If you look at Cotchin danger and Kennedy they were all in there fifth seasons. It's funny how we talk about a third year break out but it seems more likely a fifth year breakout is better. Well thats when players seem to go to elite status. Anyway here's my two cents. Although this very unlikely this is my predictions.
Danger of 2013= jack ziebell
Cotchin of 2013= Luke shuey or David Zaharakis
Beams of 2013= Nathan fyfe.
It will be funny come seasons end to see how my predictions went.
cheers mate, your right, third year tends to be the year youngsters show glimpses and promise to be superstars, with some exceptions obviously breaking onto the scene quickly. years 4-5, often are when players really break out consistently.
I genuinely think there is a lot of break out potential across the board, 30 trades now, gotta take a risk on some.
Yarran, Heppell, Grimes, Hurley, Rich, Swallow, Hannebery, Ziebell, Zaharakis, Martin, Christiansen, Duncan, Watts, Conca. Not all will breakout to the extremes of a Dangerfield, but they would be some of the hot list for mine.

bottlemart

Danger was locked into my team (and many other teams) well before the 2012 season started.

From the 2008 draft, I have some top 10 picks that I'm looking at

Nic Nat.  Locked

Yarren.  Cheap as chips and if injury free, should be ready to breakout

Ziebell.  This could be his breakout year, as per danger last year.

Watch the NAB Cup and decide after having at look at these players, along with maybe Jack Watts, Hurley, Hartlett, Hill.  See how Vickory is travelling also.

All these blokes are top 10 picks and in their 5th year, so all should improve on what they have done in their first 4 seasons.