This or That? - Brendon Goddard vs. Jack Grimes

Started by Toga, December 21, 2012, 03:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Two gun defenders that we'd love to have in our team, both with the potential to finish as the highest averaging backman in DT 2013... But if we had to choose one, who would it be?    -REQUESTED BY CHELSKIMAN

Brendon Goddard (Essendon Bombers)

Price: $501,300

2011 average: 95.8

2012 average: 97.5

2012 lowest score: 58 (vs MEL)

2012 highest score: 141 (vs GC)

Probability 100+ score: 40%

Standard deviation: 20.4

Jack Grimes (Melbourne Demons)

Price: $474,000

2011 average: 74

2012 average: 92

2012 lowest score (non-sub affected): 65 (vs RIC)

2012 highest score: 135 (vs PA)

Probability 100+ score: 33%

Standard deviation: 26.3

The judgement:

Price: Grimes. Grimes is priced at just over $27K given he averaged slightly less than Goddard last year. That $27K won't make too much of a difference to your team really, but Grimes takes the cake for this category.

Scoring ability: Goddard.. Goddard has consistently averaged above 90 ppg over the last four years, two of which he averaged over 100. Whilst Grimes is sure to increase his average this year as a result of natural development, and the role of captain of the club and potentially increased midfield time, we can't disregard Goddard's history of proven scoring ability. Add this to the fact that Goddard has now made the move across town to Windy Hill, where coach James Hird has already pencilled him in for a midfield role at the club, I think Goddard must be the superior in this category.

Consistency: Goddard. While many percieved him as very inconsistent in 2012, his standard deviation shows that he really wasn't too bad after all! I expect both to become a bit more consistent this year, however, as teams might opt to shift the tag to Goddard's teammates in Brownlow Medallist Jobe Watson, or Brent Stanton, and as I previously stated, Grimes should experience natural development as he strings together consistent matches.

Durability: Goddard Grimes completed his first ever full season in 2012, never playing more than 14 games in a season beforehand, due to the 'Grimes curse' which has seen him struck down by a number of unlucky injuries, much like his brother Dylan. Goddard, however, hasn't played less than 20 games in the last 5 seasons, but has been known to miss a few weeks here and there as a result of losing his temper and throwing a punch.

Susceptibility to sub: n/a

Verdict: Can't go past..... Goddard Although I think they will be very similar in scoring in 2013, when you look at the stats, you can't go past Goddard. Being at a new team with promise of more midfield time, Goddard could well go 100+ again next year. Grimes, as stated, should experience natural development as he leads his young team from the front as skipper, but also completes a full preseason (from memory, he missed a portion of last preseason with a shoulder injury, and only appeared in the NAB cup once). I expect both to be in the top 4 scoring defenders next season, with both having the potential to be the highest averaging defender come year's end, so if you can, pick both, but if you can only fit one in your side... Brendon's! your man!

The Jukes Coefficient:   - courtesy of Jukes

Quote from: Jukes on December 21, 2012, 03:58:06 PM
Grimes: 92 + 96 + 4 + 5.3
Goddard: 97.3 + 102 + 4.7

Grimes = 197.3
Goddard = 204

Nails

Grimes missed round 4 this year (through injury or sickness, I forgot tbh)

I'd go Grimes over Goddard tbh. This post needs more of the fact Grimes has much more of a midfield role now.

104.5 average in his last 8 games with a low score of 81.

That said you'd be a lunatic to not have either in your side. 2013's Top 2 defenders IMO.

Ricochet

Quote from: Nails on December 21, 2012, 03:28:54 PM

I'd go Grimes over Goddard tbh. This post needs more of the fact Grimes has much more of a midfield role now.

That said you'd be a lunatic to not have either in your side. 2013's Top 2 defenders IMO.
Gibbs? I reckon he could almost go 110

Toga

Quote from: Ricochet on December 21, 2012, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: Nails on December 21, 2012, 03:28:54 PM

Gibbs? I reckon he could almost go 110

Yeah I said Top 4 with a chance of going highest averaging defenders because there's another few good options there that could go massive i.e. Gibbs, Duffield and Broughton...

Jukes

My coefficient for each player;

Grimes: 92 + 96 + 4 + 5.3
Goddard: 97.3 + 102 + 4.7

Grimes = 197.3
Goddard = 204

Toga

underdog11

I think we have to add room for improvemenr in this or that

henry

Got both  :). I agree though if I had to go for one it would be goddard, a top 5 defender every year. Nice write up mate

Capper

Not Goddard, maybe Grimes but neither at this stage.

Goddard start last season with 3 scores over 100 in the first 14 games and finished with 4 x 100s in his last 4 games.

I will probably get Goddard as an upgrade target

Holz

There is no way I would even consider not having Goddard Gibbs and Grimes not locked in the team. Fitting those 3 in should be the priority of every team.

Toga

Quote from: underdog11 on December 21, 2012, 04:46:02 PM

Yeah I agree will do in my next one but tbh in this case both have room for improvement, Grimes in his leadership/increased midfield time/natural development but goddard also in his increased midfield time at an arguably better team (at this stage of affairs).

Jukes

Quote from: Toga on December 21, 2012, 06:07:49 PM

Yeah I agree will do in my next one but tbh in this case both have room for improvement, Grimes in his leadership/increased midfield time/natural development but goddard also in his increased midfield time at an arguably better team (at this stage of affairs).

My formula takes into account room for improvement :P

Holz

Quote from: Jukes on December 21, 2012, 06:11:58 PM
Quote from: Toga on December 21, 2012, 06:07:49 PM

My formula takes into account room for improvement :P

Assumes your prediction is correct. Grimes will smash 96

Barra17

GM

Quote from: Holzman on December 21, 2012, 06:04:55 PM
There is no way I would even consider not having Goddard Gibbs and Grimes not locked in the team. Fitting those 3 in should be the priority of every team.
+1 Holzy