Neither
7 (8.2%)
Ablett only
34 (40%)
Swan only
8 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 2

tbagrocks

The massive floor in my plan is, Ablett starts every season on fire with hugely unmatched scores, I might need to ulter my plans and start with the master! As for Swan, he normally blossams latter

PowerBug

Quote from: tbagrocks on December 19, 2012, 06:11:03 PM
Does that sound silly, remember 30 trades now!
Yes it does, because you have 30 trades you can start with 2 and make up the lost cash (assuming they do drop :O) and cut rookies earlier and get a couple more on the bubble, more price rises. :)

Atm i'm starting with both, and 4 other premiums.
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Jukes

I reckon it's good to go with Beams and Cotchin over SwAblett. To find a quick way of valuation for players I like to add together three variables; previous season average (risk evaluation), 2013 predicted average (scoring evaluation) and the difference between these, improvement (cash value) then when comparing take into account the price difference by dividing the price difference by the magic number, 5150, and add that into the equation by adding it to the cheaper option.

I have predicted that Ablett will retain his average at approximately 125 PPG, while Swan will drop 5 points to 128, Cotchin gain 7 average to 118, and Beams 6 average to 122.

Ablett = 125 + 125 + 0 = 250
Swan = 133 + 128 + -5 = 258

Cotchin = 111 + 118 + 7 = 236
Beams = 116 + 122 + 6 = 244

That gives SwAblett a running total of 508, while CotchBeamsy a running total of 480.

Now you add price into the equation. SwAblett has a total of 1,330,600. CotchBeamsy has a total of 1,169,600. This means SwAblett costs $161,000 more than CotchBeamsy. 161000 / 5150 = 31.2621.

SwAblett = 508
CotchBeamsy = 480 + 31.2621
                   = 511.2621

Meaning CotchBeamsy shows a total of 3.2621 rating points over SwAblett. This may appear quite small seeing as their totals are both over 100, but seeing as each combination are scaled to be swung toward each other (through averages for SwAblett's benefit and pricing for CotchBeamsy's benefit) it is actually quite large.

This make any sense at all haha
Also, INB4 tl;dr

Jukes

I'll probably end up looking like this when somebody destroys my argument :P

Holz

Quote from: Jukes on December 19, 2012, 10:14:20 PM
I reckon it's good to go with Beams and Cotchin over SwAblett. To find a quick way of valuation for players I like to add together three variables; previous season average (risk evaluation), 2013 predicted average (scoring evaluation) and the difference between these, improvement (cash value) then when comparing take into account the price difference by dividing the price difference by the magic number, 5150, and add that into the equation by adding it to the cheaper option.

I have predicted that Ablett will retain his average at approximately 125 PPG, while Swan will drop 5 points to 128, Cotchin gain 7 average to 118, and Beams 6 average to 122.

Ablett = 125 + 125 + 0 = 250
Swan = 133 + 128 + -5 = 258

Cotchin = 111 + 118 + 7 = 236
Beams = 116 + 122 + 6 = 244

That gives SwAblett a running total of 508, while CotchBeamsy a running total of 480.

Now you add price into the equation. SwAblett has a total of 1,330,600. CotchBeamsy has a total of 1,169,600. This means SwAblett costs $161,000 more than CotchBeamsy. 161000 / 5150 = 31.2621.

SwAblett = 508
CotchBeamsy = 480 + 31.2621
                   = 511.2621

Meaning CotchBeamsy shows a total of 3.2621 rating points over SwAblett. This may appear quite small seeing as their totals are both over 100, but seeing as each combination are scaled to be swung toward each other (through averages for SwAblett's benefit and pricing for CotchBeamsy's benefit) it is actually quite large.

This make any sense at all haha
Also, INB4 tl;dr

The way I look at is even going off your averages (I think your overestinating beamss)

You have ablett swan averaging around 255 together.

The beams cotchin combo 240 so that's 15 points lost there. Add the captiancy bonus and its 20+

So its how you use the 200-250k.

To afford the swablett combo I have one more rookie than you. So that means say if I pick vlaustin (just an example) you need to make up 20 points on that rookie picking a 400k back. Now vlaustin for example averages 65. You need to get a 85+ back for 400k to cover, possible yes.

But I would say that my extra rookie will go up in value by more than both cotchin and beams will combined thus making my team overall more valuable.

I also can't see cotchin beams coming within 15 (non captain) points to swablett.

That's how I look at it.

azza707

I think one point to take into consideration is like someone has mentioned and that is Pendles, used to be the 3rd highest midfielder or somewhere along those lines and will hopefully get back to his best will Ball back in the side to help out. Was once a very safe captain option. So looking at it that way, you could save 120k just by having midfielders 2 and 3 rather than 1 and 2....

just a different view on the whole debate :)

Toga

Quote from: azza707 on December 19, 2012, 11:05:12 PM
I think one point to take into consideration is like someone has mentioned and that is Pendles, used to be the 3rd highest midfielder or somewhere along those lines and will hopefully get back to his best will Ball back in the side to help out. Was once a very safe captain option. So looking at it that way, you could save 120k just by having midfielders 2 and 3 rather than 1 and 2....

yeah i said that, i reckon it's a valid reason to only start one of GAJ or Swan ;)

Holz

Quote from: Toga on December 19, 2012, 11:20:15 PM
Quote from: azza707 on December 19, 2012, 11:05:12 PM

yeah i said that, i reckon it's a valid reason to only start one of GAJ or Swan ;)

You don't need both I agree. I'm going 1 2 and 3

POK252

Does there ever come a time where you have too many captaincy options come RD 1 therefore your actually just wasting cash.

My midfield atm is Swan, Ablett, Pendles, Stanton, Embley, rooks.

Swanny, GAJ and Pendles are all legitimate captain options as it is. I also reckon Stanton could be very handy with the VC loophole. I still expect him to be inconsistent and score the 70's/80's every 2-4 weeks. But the fact that when he does go big, you could capitilise even more by having his score doubled, make those 70's/80's a bit more bearable.

So should I be going with what I have at the moment, get rid of Swanny or GAJ for Cotchin, or even get rid of both of them for two of Cotch/Beams/Boyd etc.

I like what I have at the moment. Could be laughing if Stanton scores 175, get that doubled to 350 and not many people have him at all.

Would still like other peoples thoughts on what i should go with??

KoopKicka

Starting with both plus Pendles and Cotch

Holz

That's a great point forgot the captain loophole. With it you can test Gary/swan out and if you don't like it go the other one.

Chelskiman

My starting mids at the moment are Swan, Ablett, Cotchin, Pendlebury and Murphy and I'm not hit too hard in other areas of the field.  I haven't started with Goddard or Franklin though as I see those two as good upgrade targets.

GM

Having both Swan and Gazza would cover you for most weeks.
Both locked.

henry

Had both starting for the last few years and won't change now. Starting with them also means you don't need to worry about when to bring them in, and you don't need to find that extra cash when upgrading. You also have the players with comfortably the highest ceilings (apart from buddy). Murphy/Pendles, Cotchin and Embley then 3 rooks finish off my mids.

SydneyRox

At the end of the day, no one will argue than Swan and Ablett will be in the top 8 scorers come year end and everyone will want then in the team as soon as possible.

Last year in DT neither Swan nor Ablett dropped more than $30k below starting price, so for the sake of team fiddling, hoping to have the cash or upgrades available at precisely the right time doesn't seem worth it

At the same time, there seem to be a large amount of mid rookies ready to exploit in 2013, allowing you to have the free cash for the Swablett combo