Main Menu

Drug tests at Utah

Started by Ziplock, December 13, 2012, 06:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-13/magpies-wakeup-call

it just seems so unnecessary to wake the players up hours before they need to be when they're on a pre-season training camp and are being worked to the bone- I know it's the rules, and right that they can be tested anywhere, any time. But still :P

my fav bit was
'"ASADA has the right to test for 365 days a year and has tested both inside and outside Australia for a number of years in regard to players in our competition," spokesman Patrick Keane said.'

does that that mean if they show up to your house on february 29th, you can be like- flower off mate, this is my day off. ?

:P

T Dog

Still .. its nice to know all the chat about Swannie is listened to by someone.. :o

Ricochet

i think its ridiculous. Yes they are professional athlete's and they should expect it but sometimes its just too far.

Scott Lycett tweeted a couple of weeks ago about Gaff being tested twice in 2 days at the crack of dawn. It's since been deleted tho

AFEV

Quote from: Ricochet on December 14, 2012, 01:32:24 PM
i think its ridiculous. Yes they are professional athlete's and they should expect it but sometimes its just too far.

Scott Lycett tweeted a couple of weeks ago about Gaff being tested twice in 2 days at the crack of dawn. It's since been deleted tho
You would think that a drug test at noon would be just as surprising as one at 5 in the morning wouldn't you. :-\

Ricochet

Quote from: Sid on December 14, 2012, 01:36:32 PM

You would think that a drug test at noon would be just as surprising as one at 5 in the morning wouldn't you. :-\
my thoughts exactly Sid. Oh well, its just something they have to put up with i guess

Ziplock

like, players aren't going to expect to be tested on any given day... and honestly, what difference does that 4 hours make for a reasonable time to test them? like if they're doing drugs, they're not going to be out of their system.

ossie85

Quote from: Ziplock on December 14, 2012, 01:51:35 PM
like, players aren't going to expect to be tested on any given day... and honestly, what difference does that 4 hours make for a reasonable time to test them? like if they're doing drugs, they're not going to be out of their system.

Some drugs have a very short half-life, reckon you'd be surprised the difference 4 hours would make. Didn't Ben Cousins say he always knew how long it would take to the drugs out of his system?

They should take hair samples

Ricochet

Quote from: ossie85 on December 14, 2012, 01:55:47 PM

Some drugs have a very short half-life, reckon you'd be surprised the difference 4 hours would make. Didn't Ben Cousins say he always knew how long it would take to the drugs out of his system?

that didn't stop Ben lol he shaved all his hair off

I'm no expert but most would stay in the system for longer than 4 hrs

ossie85

Quote from: Ricochet on December 14, 2012, 02:14:23 PM

Of course they'd stay in the system for more than 4 hours! But if you took it 2 days ago, those 4 hours could be the difference between it being in your system and not....

As Bucks said, it is a small price to pay.

Ziplock

not really, like, lets say that the drug has a half life of 4 hours, which is pretty short (http://www.vicdrugguide.org.au/handbook/ch03s07.php you can see there in comparison to various other drugs, obv. not a full list, but a reference guide), there's 96 hours in 4 days, meaning

Hours     drug%
0               100
4               50
8               25
12             12.5
16             6.25
etc

92             0.000012
96             0.000006

so, only a difference of 0.000006%

basically, it wouldnt make a substantial difference. 

ossie85

I take your point Zip, but what I'm trying to get at is there would be a point in time that you could no longer detect the drug.

At this point, a minute before or a minute after could mean the difference.

Tests have to be random, otherwise they can be planned around.

Ricochet

Quote from: ossie85 on December 14, 2012, 02:16:33 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on December 14, 2012, 02:14:23 PM

Of course they'd stay in the system for more than 4 hours! But if you took it 2 days ago, those 4 hours could be the difference between it being in your system and not....

As Bucks said, it is a small price to pay.
Yep ok i'm with ya now, sorry mate misread.

Grazz

Quote from: Sid on December 14, 2012, 01:36:32 PM

Yeh i got to agree mate, what would a few hours matter im not sure. Zips graph explains it well. Gary Pert is probably thinking why did i air my concerns publicly and not keep it in house at  AFL headquarters. Carolyn Wilson would also be responsible somewhat
for ASADA's actions i would imagine after her rant regarding Swan. Just have to grin a bare it as a player as you dont get a choice.

Ziplock

as soon as they woke me up I would just grab the nearest cup, whip it out, go, give them the cup then tell them to piss off and go back to bed.

Grazz

Quote from: Ziplock on December 14, 2012, 02:54:14 PM
as soon as they woke me up I would just grab the nearest cup, whip it out, go, give them the cup then tell them to piss off and go back to bed.

Lol i would imagine thats how it went down for a few of them zip. :)