The next Barlow?

Started by Jroo, December 13, 2012, 06:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nostradamus

blewy09

So has everyone cooled on Kane Mitchell? He does have a heap of competition to contend with. Will he get enough go?

Grazz

Quote from: blewy09 on January 08, 2013, 11:55:46 PM
So has everyone cooled on Kane Mitchell? He does have a heap of competition to contend with. Will he get enough go?

Nuh im still pumped about him , just praying he gets a round 1 start.

mpollock

"Broadbent Boak Ebert Wingard Wines Cornes Casissi Monfries" - not exactly a quality base for a midfield ... sorry.
The hawks for example have Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Rioli, Burgoyne, I.Smith, Shiels ...  :)

In terms of Mitchell (Kane) ... most people would have to lock in Viney, O'Meara, Crouch first ...
Then you have others to consider like Moribito on the comeback ...
There is Jones from Melbourne who is mature age ...

Then blokes like Mayes should play plenty of games from Brisbane ... and the other top draft picks ...

Not sure there is room to play this many midfield rookies ... don't think i could squeeze him in personally.

timmyparso

Quote from: Grazz on January 08, 2013, 11:57:45 PM

Isn't there some change to the AFL rookie rules this year preventing rookies being upgraded due to LTI until round 11? there is a thread on the DT page. If so he won't play until at least round 11 (this also impact Brett Goodes)

Grazz

Quote from: timmyparso on January 09, 2013, 01:08:56 PM

Isn't there some change to the AFL rookie rules this year preventing rookies being upgraded due to LTI until round 11? there is a thread on the DT page. If so he won't play until at least round 11 (this also impact Brett Goodes)

A Rookie can be upgraded due to a LTI or post round 11 as i read it but your right he needs to be upgraded before getting a game.
This is a concern no question mate.

SydneyRox

Quote from: nostradamus on January 06, 2013, 11:15:36 PM
How about Dean Towers?

He is going to struggle to get a game early on. Unless he comes out in the NAB and tears it up, I don't see how he fits into the round 1 team, which would look something like...

B - Smith, Richards, Mattner
HB - Shaw, Grundy, Johnson
C - Hannebery, Bolton, McVeigh
HF - Jetta, Reid, O'Keefe
F - Mcglynn, Goodes, Morton
Fol - Mumford, Kennedy, Jack
Int - (from) LRT, Bird, Malceski, Parker, Pyke

basil3134

Quote from: Grazz on January 09, 2013, 01:24:18 PM
Quote from: timmyparso on January 09, 2013, 01:08:56 PM

A Rookie can be upgraded due to a LTI or post round 11 as i read it but your right he needs to be upgraded before getting a game.
This is a concern no question mate.
So should we be looking closely for teams that have players with LTI  a long way prior to start of season before choosing players like Brett Goodes & Kane Mitchell

theta

Quote from: SydneyRox on January 09, 2013, 02:32:55 PM
Quote from: nostradamus on January 06, 2013, 11:15:36 PM
How about Dean Towers?

He is going to struggle to get a game early on. Unless he comes out in the NAB and tears it up, I don't see how he fits into the round 1 team, which would look something like...

B - Smith, Richards, Mattner
HB - Shaw, Grundy, Johnson
C - Hannebery, Bolton, McVeigh
HF - Jetta, Reid, O'Keefe
F - Mcglynn, Goodes, Morton
Fol - Mumford, Kennedy, Jack
Int - (from) LRT, Bird, Malceski, Parker, Pyke

I was thinking the same, but going off the swans pre-seasons injury vid today it sounds like Mattner has some hip issues which have been significant enough to keep him from running since the end of the season.  Physio Matt Cameron said they decided to give him a break from running for 'a good 3 months'.  This is followed by pics of him running on a treadmill.  I think its safe to assume he's just starting to ease into running this week, putting his pre-season significantly behind the rest of the group, and imo increases the likelihood of Towers getting a spot in the first month or two, especially with Sydney playing GWS, GC, Nth, Saints and Brissi in the first 6 weeks. 

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-01-09/preseason-injury-update

SydneyRox

All true, I guess i read that Nattner is being carefully managed to play round 1, same as Goodes and Smith.

CrowsFan

Well if that's the case why would they replace a back pocket in Mattner with a midfielder in Towers?

SydneyRox

As a permanent move I dont think they would, but Eski also spent some good chunks of last year in the mids, since the back 6 were so settled. If Mattner were to miss, Eski into the backs and Tower into the mids might be the move? It really is all speculation, until we see if Mattner doesnt play, which I think he will.

theta

I notice Kyle Martin has no * beside his name on the NAB squad list...is this an error or has he been elevated?
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-02-13/recruits-included-in-nab-cup-squad