The next Barlow?

Started by Jroo, December 13, 2012, 06:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

Michael Barlow stormed into the football world 3 years ago, after being selected at pick 8 in the rookie draft. He averaged 116 SuperCoach points a game before breaking his leg ending his year after only 13 games.
Matt goes through the best mature aged rookies from this years rookie draft, trying to find the 'next Barlow', those who are worth a punt on in SuperCoach 2013.

Leigh Osborne

Height/Weight: 186cm/84kg
Position: Defence
Team: Gold Coast
Price: $132,200
The first picked player in the rookie draft, Osborne is a rebounding defender from Frankston and is now at Gold Coast after a solid year in the VFL. If Osborne can impress Gold Coast over the pre season, he should be elevated to the senior list and play round one, as the Suns don't have too many quality rebounding defenders. Even though Osborne may not be the highest scorer, he should have pretty good
job security and will make a solid backline cash cow, and as there aren't generally many quality back rookie opitions who are likely to play lots of games.

Brett Goodes

Height/Weight: 183cm/94kg
Position: Midfield/Defence
Team: Western Bulldogs
Price: $128,200
Brother of Swans' champion Adam Goodes, Brett has finally been given an opportunity at AFL level. Goodes is now 28 years old but the the Bulldogs believe he still has some good years of football left in him. Goodes will probably play off half back for the Doggies and will add some composure down there and he is also an accurate kick of the ball. He should play straight away, with the Doggies weak defence and if you think about it, why would the Bulldogs pick a 28 year old to just to play in the reserves? If Goodes is named in round one for the Doggies, you will have to consider putting him in your SuperCoach backline.

Kane Mitchell

Height/Weight: 174cm/76kg
Position: Midfield
Team: Port Adelaide
Price: $126,200
Mitchell stared for Claremont this season in the WAFL taking home the Sandover Medal.  He averaged 25 disposals a game and hit the scoreboard with 30 goals, which shows he wins a lot of the ball and has a huge tank and can run all day. Mitchell's stats show that he kicks more than he handballs, which is valuable for SuperCoach. Mitchell should be able to get games in Port's midfield and if he is named in round one, he's close to a lock, as he is ready to play AFL football and has the potential to be a high scorer.

Jaryd Cachia

Height/Weight: 184cm/84kg
Team: Carlton
Price: $118,200
Cachia is a tough midfielder who's career started at Carlton two years ago. He didn't play a game and was ultimately delisted, but he then moved to Norwood where he turned his career around and is now back at Carlton again. Cachia works hard all day for his team and has really improved a lot, since he was last on an AFL list. Cachia may find it difficult breaking into the Blues' line up, but if he does keep an eye on him.

Kyle Martin

Height/Weight: 182cm/81kg
Team: Collingwood
If Martin went to any other team besides Collingwood, he would have been a lock. Martin is one of the best mature aged rookies going around, but with Collingwood already having six A grade midfielders, it won't be easy for him to get a game. Martin had an awesome year in the VFL for Frankston averaging 24 disposals a game and taking home the club's best and fairest. Martin is a strongly built midfielder who knows how to find the footy and at 22 years old, he is ready to play AFL, but will he get games at Collingwood? If he does I would consider him, but he wouldn't have the best job security.

Sam Dywer

Height/Weight: 177cm/74kg
Position: Midfield/Forward
Team: Collingwood
At 26 years old of age, Dwyer is ready to play AFL football after spending a lot of time with Port Melbourne in the VFL. But just like Kyle Martin, Dwyer will find it difficult breaking into this strong Collingwood midfield. Both Dwyer and Martin will be fighting for the opportunity to be elevated to the senior list and for a spot in the Magpies starting 22.  Dwyer is an exciting player to watch and his run and carry is the highlight of his game. If Dwyer does get games you would have to consider him in your SuperCoach side because he would be a solid scorer and make you lots of cash.

Got anyone else on your radar I haven't mentioned?

http://www.supercoachhq.com/13/post/2012/12/the-next-barlow.html

kilbluff1985

Nice  one mate

Wrong thread but can you ask Dr dream team for confirmation of L Osborne's position please

Should be defense but want to make sure in case he is still available in the BXV Draft

Toga

another fantastic write-up Jroo!

I'll definitely be looking at Osborne, Goodes, and Mitchell will all be considered for my team!

GM

Good call JRoo.
Mitchell would be my pick.
Osborne and Goodes also strong possibilities for rd 1.

CrowsFan

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 13, 2012, 06:28:10 PM
Nice  one mate

Wrong thread but can you ask Dr dream team for confirmation of L Osborne's position please

Should be defense but want to make sure in case he is still available in the BXV Draft
Played the entire season in defense for Frankston so without a doubt he will be a defender :)

kilbluff1985

AFEV

Cachia intrigues me but Kane Mitchell should get plenty of opportunities at Port and will probably be the 'winner' out of the M rookies this season.

blewy09

Awesome.

Osborne doesn't get much of it? was was his scores/or stats in the VFL this season?

I'm not so sure about Kane Mitchell- A lot saying his kicking is ordinary and is more of a gap filler at this point...Have to look into it more i guess..

Nige

Since I basically kinda requested this, thanks JROO! Another quality article. I did actually have a look at it on the SCHQ site before here though since I saw the link on Facebook. But yeah, this helps a bit in decided which of the mature aged rookies could be worth a look. I probably do like the look of Mitchell the most, especially from what I've seen and read.

Rowy

Mitchell will be a lock for me. In a weak Port line-up he will play nearly every game IMO

blewy09

Quote from: Rowy on December 13, 2012, 07:16:22 PM
Mitchell will be a lock for me. In a weak Port line-up he will play nearly every game IMO

Underestimating the midfield though. Broadbent Boak Ebert Wingard Wines Cornes Casissi Monfries is a reasonable core in the first place.

Bones Bombers

Quote from: blewy09 on December 13, 2012, 08:11:14 PM

Underestimating the midfield though. Broadbent Boak Ebert Wingard Wines Cornes Casissi Monfries is a reasonable core in the first place.
Thats what I've been thinking. Port have made some good changes, adding depth. Will be competition for a spot.

Jroo

Don't forget Hartlett. but Wingard, Wines and Monfires could all play up forward, while Casissi could play down back.
Broadbent, Ebert, Boak, Cornes, Cassisi all start in the midfield.
Hartlett and Cassisi could rotate during the game, Wingard may be the sub, Mitchell starts on the bench and rotates with Cornes, Broadbent and Boak. Ebert rotates with Monfires and Wines up forward.
IMO I can see Mitchell playing, but I reckon he may be more of a DT'er than a SC'er.

CrowsFan

Quote from: blewy09 on December 13, 2012, 07:01:38 PM
Osborne doesn't get much of it? was was his scores/or stats in the VFL this season?
Played 16 games, averaged 17.32 disposals (8.61 kicks and 8.61handballs), 2.38 tackles and 59.56 DT points per game, going at 67.9% effective disposals :)

tbagrocks

Quote from: Bones Bombers on December 13, 2012, 08:26:57 PM

Thats what I've been thinking. Port have made some good changes, adding depth. Will be competition for a spot.
Didn't I say this in another post :P

The guy is on the Rookie list, what makes people so sure he will play if he's not on the senior list ???