Main Menu

Spud Graham talking rubbish

Started by quinny88, December 10, 2012, 06:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

First he came up with the wild call that he was actually going to get a game at Adleaide and now he has come up with this..

"The fitness of the group probably surprised me, coming from Richmond. As a core group as a whole I think [the Crows are] a lot fitter group than what I'm used to," Graham said.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-10/graham

This just irritated me. Surely this couldn't be the case? I wouldn't think there would be much difference at all from club to club apart from the really young clubs. Is this just him talking guff or are we that far behind a club in a similar age bracket?

Jroo

Mailman the 2nd

Nah man, Graham is one of the fittest in the AFL

CrowsFan

As far as I'm aware Adelaide has always been considered a much fitter team than most. Goes all the way back to when Craig became the fitness adviser back in 1997. So wouldn't surprise me if what Graham was saying does have some basis.

Nige

Graham's a hack. Just because his fitness isn't up to that of the rest of his Crows teammates isn't Richmond's fault and doesn't mean we're not as fit a playing group as Adelaide's.

quinny88

Quote from: CrowsFan on December 10, 2012, 07:15:34 PM
As far as I'm aware Adelaide has always been considered a much fitter team than most. Goes all the way back to when Craig became the fitness adviser back in 1997. So wouldn't surprise me if what Graham was saying does have some basis.

Sorry but I just dont think that's the case CF. Were talking about bunch of elite, full time sportsman, mostly between the ages of 20-30, all with the best fitness trainers in the country training them doing almost identical training plans. The plans are designed to get the most out of the players without pushing it over the limit and getting injured. One step further than their peak and they get injured, like we saw last year with "the weapon's" program for Essendon. The rest comes down to attitude of the players and you cant tell me that Adelaide players have that much of a better attitude towards training than Richmond that it makes them so much fitter? The only factor that I can believe that would make a club fitter than the other would be a young side may not be as fit as an experienced side. Apart from that they would all be on about par

Ziplock

Toga

I'm not taking anything out of this, Graham's just sour that he's shower and didn't get games at richmond so he's trying to get into the tigers' heads about it.

quinny88

Quote from: Ziplock on December 10, 2012, 11:15:31 PM
tigers are a pretty young side?

Wouldn't think we would be that much younger than Adelaide though would we?
Maybe a little bit.

Quote from: Toga on December 11, 2012, 12:18:59 PM
I'm not taking anything out of this, Graham's just sour that he's shower and didn't get games at richmond so he's trying to get into the tigers' heads about it.

+1 Toga

Justin Bieber

CrowsFan

Quote from: quinny88 on December 11, 2012, 10:50:37 PM

Maybe a little bit.
Adelaide has one of the youngest squad lists in the AFL, with the average age of the senior listed players at 22 point something.

Ziplock

the median rather than the mean would probably be a more useful statistic in this case :P

Justin Bieber

Quote from: CrowsFan on December 12, 2012, 01:46:19 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on December 11, 2012, 10:50:37 PM

Maybe a little bit.
Adelaide has one of the youngest squad lists in the AFL, with the average age of the senior listed players at 22 point something.
When you say 'one of the', how many teams roughly would be younger?

Mailman the 2nd

This isn't really true at all.

Although Adelaide are 5th on "Average age of player list 2012" with 23.006 years they are 9th with the average age of players who actually played in 2012 with 23.316.

That being said, age of list is completely redundant to skill level at all, given that the two oldest clubs were the ones in the Grand Final

Justin Bieber