Main Menu

Tigers on the right track - finally!

Started by Jroo, December 06, 2012, 12:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

This is my latest article for SuperCoachHQ
Tigers on the right track - finally!
For years now, Richmond have been the centre of jokes from rival clubs over their recruiting.

Reminding Tiger fans that their club drafted Richard Tambling over Lance Franklin, Aaron Fiora over Matthew Pavlich and Jarrod Okaley-Nicholls over Mitch Clark will give them nightmares. But the Tigers are finally on the right track to success and there is a lot of hope for the future. 

In the past the Tigers would go for a skinny type of player, who needs plenty of development (Tambling, Okaley-Nicholls). This clearly didn't work, but since Damian Hardwick has taken over at Tigerland, things are different and the
Tigers drafting philosophy is quite clear now. They now draft tough, big bodied players who are ready to compete at AFL level. In the last few years they have brought in Conca, Ellis, Morris, Batchelor and Vlastuin who are all ready to play at senior level from day one. A thing in common with all these players is that they’re great kicks of the footy and that they’re tough and are prepared to put their body on the line for their team, something which Hardwick loves. 

The Tigers have filled their needs through the draft and trade period. They have picked up a few defenders (Ellis, Batchelor, Morris), who are good kicks, to replace Deledio down back and free him up into the midfield. This plan worked brilliantly, as Deledio enjoyed his best season yet and won himself All-Australian honours. They have also gone with two tall development players in Liam McBean and Todd Elton, who are both very skinny for their size (202cm and 198cm respectively) and are not expected to play many games at AFL level for a few years. They will both be given time in the gym to bulk up and will learn plenty playing in the VFL. This has been good drafting by the Tigers as they went after what they needed and got it. They needed someone to replace Deledio down back and they need a ruckman in 3-4 years to replace Maric. 

The Tigers have addressed the needs of their team through trading as well, going with the money-ball technique. The Tigers won't go splashing cash out at the big fish, but will try to bring in players without giving up much, which they hope will improve their team. In the recent years the Tigers have targeted players based on the needs of their team, gaining Grigg, Houli and Maric (who have all been sensational since moving to Richmond) without giving up much at all. 

This year they went after three more players; Troy Chaplin, Chris Knights and Aaron Edwards. The Tigers were in need of another key defender, to take some pressure of Alex Rance and they targeted Chaplin months before free agency started. The Tigers needed another key forward as injuries this year showed they didn't have much depth up forward and many games this year the Tigers kicked inaccurately, costing them crucial games. They went after Edwards as he plays tall for his size and is a very accurate kick for goal. Knights was also needed as he adds to their midfield depth, while he can also roam around half-forward and cause havoc for defenders. 

The Tigers have brought in three vital players for virtually nothing and they're a step closer to their September dream. The Tigers are now starting to build some depth at the club, which is the key. Nearly every player on the list will be fighting for a spot in the 22 and this will only motivate every player to try harder and give 100%. The Tigers are in a great position going forward with many young stars in every position. They also have a huge supporter base and Tigers fans have been known to be very loyal. Richmond have had very limited on-field success, but the Tiger fans still stick by their side as they had over 50,000 members this year. Just wait until Richmond become a premiership threat, they could easily bring in 70,000 members. 

After many years of failure and broken promises, I finally believe that Richmond is on the right track. They are recruiting well and have taken over from Sydney, as the 'King of recycled players'. They have built a lot of depth and every player on their list are fighting for a spot in the best 22. It's now time for new captain Trent Cotchin to lead the Tigers to success. They have been handed a nice draw for 2013 and finals is a must or questions will be asked. However, I believe 2013 is the year Richmond will turn it around and finally break their finals voodoo.

http://www.supercoachhq.com/16/post/2012/12/tigers-on-the-right-track-finally.html

Nige

Really good article, mate! It does in fact seem like we're on the right track and under Dimma we've been doing fairly well. With that said though, we really need to take the next step and with the current crop of players, it's definitely possible. I cringed when I read the first few lines about Tambling etc, but after that I found myself nodding my head in agreement and smiling about how good the future is looking. Once again, nice write-up. Keep up the good work!  8)

valkorum

Nice article.  I noticed you missed a few draft stuffups

Griffiths (#19) instead of Fyfe (#20)

Rookie Draft
Robert Hicks (#7) instead of Michael Barlow (#8)

and dont forget Relton Roberts

Jroo

Quote from: NigeyS on December 06, 2012, 01:16:30 PM
Really good article, mate! It does in fact seem like we're on the right track and under Dimma we've been doing fairly well. With that said though, we really need to take the next step and with the current crop of players, it's definitely possible. I cringed when I read the first few lines about Tambling etc, but after that I found myself nodding my head in agreement and smiling about how good the future is looking. Once again, nice write-up. Keep up the good work!  8)
Cheers Nigey!
I really rate our current crop of players. We're staring to build some depth and plenty of young superstars (Jroo, Cotch, Dusty, Grimes, Rance) just to name a few. We also have some older guys in Lids, Newy, Maric and now Chaplin and Knights so it's exciting times ahead at Tigerland!

Jroo

Quote from: valkorum on December 06, 2012, 01:19:55 PM
Nice article.  I noticed you missed a few draft stuffups

Griffiths (#19) instead of Fyfe (#20)

Rookie Draft
Robert Hicks (#7) instead of Michael Barlow (#8)

and dont forget Relton Roberts
Thanks Valk!
Griffiths will be a player, don't you worry. Injury has set him back and when he finds what postion of the ground he plays I reckon he will come good. Looking back Fyfe would go in the top three atm, based on talent from the 09 draft. That was a steal to nab him at 20.
We were probably looking to bring in youth at the stage so went with Hicks and with us finishing second last the year before, I think we would have rathered youth than a mature aged rookie. 6 other clubs let Barlow go by and wasn't that bad. But that being said, it would be nice if we did have Barlow instead of Hicks (who's delsited).
Relton was a superstar!  8)

valkorum

Quote from: JROO8 on December 06, 2012, 01:27:46 PM

If only I can remember this for 12 months and nominate you for quote of the season next year :)

ossie85

First of, I agree that Richmond are in a terrific position and would be very surprised if the Tigers didn't go on with it....

BUT don't celebrate! The attitude of a lot of Richmond supporters (not saying anyone here) is that they've already won everything, when they haven't won anything.

Keep the lid on, as a life-long Collingwood supporter, I know what it's like to celebrate too early

quinny88

Nice article Jroo! I agree wholeheartedly.
Every team has made some massive blues in the draft, it just so happens that our 2 biggest ones left us without Buddy and Pav who turned out to become superstars.
In recent years though our drafting and recruiting has been as good as any team. They drew a line in the sand at the end of 2009 when Hardwick took over the club. They promised to take no short cuts or look for quick fixes but instead clean the slate and do it the hard way and they have completely stuck to that and now it is all set up for us to take the next step into the top 8. No excuses.

As a Richmond supporter and 10 year member I know not to get sucked in to false hope but this is the best and deepest our list has run in a long long time. I have hoped we would make the finals in previous years but this coming season I actually believe that we will which is the first time I ever have felt confident leading into a season. Still definitely keeping a lid on it though until its mathematically impossible for us to drop out of the 8 :P

j959

Quote from: valkorum on December 06, 2012, 01:43:00 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on December 06, 2012, 01:27:46 PM

If only I can remember this for 12 months and nominate you for quote of the season next year :)
where's that bucket of KFC??   ;)

Chelskiman

Quote from: quinny88 on December 06, 2012, 02:53:59 PMAs a Richmond supporter and 10 year member I know not to get sucked in to false hope but this is the best and deepest our list has run in a long long time. I have hoped we would make the finals in previous years but this coming season I actually believe that we will which is the first time I ever have felt confident leading into a season. Still definitely keeping a lid on it though until its mathematically impossible for us to drop out of the 8 :P

This x 5128409568734960728967246.  For the past 3 or 4 years we have had the first team to make finals, we just haven't had depth.  This season is is different.  We have good cover across all lines, and we have a first team that now looks solid and capable of beating teams in the top 8 (probably not top 4 just yet though).  I know not to get too excited too early, but it's kind of hard to contain that for next season.  I haven't been this excited for a season for a very long time.

tbagrocks

I really liked the way Houli and Morris played last year, and big Vickers last. I think Morris will still improve and Vickery back is awesome for the Tiges, Roo should still play better and Houli in a winning team should be valuable, Chappy was a great get and a few of these players are very young and will improve

So what is exceptable now for Richmond? With West Coast and Adelaide proving teams can quickly rise to top four, this has to be the goal of the Tigers?

Roo, Lids, Cotch, Dusty, Maric, Houli, Tuck, Foley, Chaplin, Vlastuin (was a great get) is a great core with Grigg, Jackson, Edwards, Rance, Conca, Vickery, Nahas, newman, Dea,  King, Knights, Batch, Jackson, Grimes, Morris and kid Ellis + McDonough and McBean were great pick ups. I really like this team now and I expect them to challange the top clubs,

Chelskiman

Top four is a little out of our reach, at least for next year.  We should realistically be aiming for a finish anywhere from 6th to 8th.  Even getting 8th would be massive for us as it will give us a taste of finals, which will hopefully mean we get even more hungry for finals footy.  Every Tigers fan in the world would take 8th right now if you offered it to them at the start of the season, even if we get knocked out in the first round of finals.

Toga

great write-up Jroo. agree with everything you've said there.

Jroo

Quote from: Toga on December 07, 2012, 05:28:44 PM
Cheers Toga, I'm just happy the state of the club is in ATM. A lot better than a few years ago

Toga

Quote from: JROO8 on December 07, 2012, 05:35:50 PM
Quote from: Toga on December 07, 2012, 05:28:44 PM
Cheers Toga, I'm just happy the state of the club is in ATM. A lot better than a few years ago

very true mate, just hope we can capitalise on our position! :D