Started by Football Factory, December 03, 2012, 08:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

Sam Docherty - Brisbane

POSITION: Defender

FANPLANNER PRICE: $101,600

HEIGHT: 185cm      WEIGHT: 83kg

HISTORY:

2011  The Lions recruited Docherty with their second pick in the 2011 AFL draft, number 12. A natural defender, Docherty has been compared to players like the Lions’ Jed Adcock, and could be a damaging runner off the half back line. His speed is better than most and this, along with his ability to find the sticks, will hold him in good stead.

2012    Docherty underwent hip surgery which delayed the start of his debut season. Was promising in the reserves and is yet to make his AFL debut, but he has shown he would be ready if called upon.

VERDICT: If Brisbane gets a full preseason into him, Voss has already said he expects to see plenty of him next year. If named round 1 its going to be hard for me to ignore this talented youngster. Touted to play a running half-back role which means decent scores

PREDICTION: anywhere between 50-70

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam steps up

At this time last year, Sam Docherty was still waiting to find out where his AFL future might lie.

Then, almost immediately after landing at the Brisbane Lions via the 2011 AFL National Draft, Docherty underwent hip surgery which delayed the start of his debut season.

This year, the highly rated Phillip Island product seems determined to make the most of his first full AFL pre-season.

Docherty was one of the standouts when the Lions returned to training on Monday - recording the fastest time in the 3 x 300m shuttle run and finishing among the top 10 in the 2km trial time.

His performance on the track certainly caught the attention of Senior Coach Michael Voss, who is expecting big things from the 19 year-old next season.

“He was Pick 12 last season and we didn’t get to see him, so he’s one player that we expect to see plenty of next year,” Voss said.

“Sam looks like he’s come back in really good shape - we’re looking for a big pre-season from him.”

Voss said Docherty was just one example of how much genuine growth still exists on Lions’ playing list.

“He’s played half-back for most of his junior days, and I imagine, certainly in the early parts of his career, that’s where he will stay,” he said.

“He’s got good speed, his ball use, and he can get in and out of traffic really well.”

“He brings another player who can use the footy off half-back. You can never have enough of them.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/150872/default.aspx

Mr.Craig

My mate saw him play in the NEAFL Northern Conference final and said he looked pretty good. Was named in the best for 5/16 games and snuck forward for 9 goals this season.

Hope he gets his chance. :)

The_Captain

Quote from: Mr.Craig on December 03, 2012, 08:34:42 PM
My mate saw him play in the NEAFL Northern Conference final and said he looked pretty good. Was named in the best for 5/16 games and snuck forward for 9 goals this season.

Me too craig!!!

+1King

Quote from: noto07 on December 03, 2012, 08:42:17 PM

Me too craig!!!
+1

nrich102

He will get a chance this year, pushing Hanley into the mids ;D

Toga

will surely be in my defense if he's named round one ;)

The_Captain

Was plus one king deleted lol? I hope docherty can push into the 22 early!! Hopfully he dominates preseason.

nrich102

The_Captain

Quote from: nrich102 on December 05, 2012, 08:11:21 AM
Quote from: noto07 on December 05, 2012, 12:46:02 AM
Was plus one king deleted lol?
Yes, he has

LOL, was providing some entertainment haha! He will be back thats for sure!!!

nrich102

The_Captain

Quote from: nrich102 on December 05, 2012, 05:23:09 PM
Quote from: noto07 on December 05, 2012, 05:20:48 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on December 05, 2012, 08:11:21 AM
Quote from: noto07 on December 05, 2012, 12:46:02 AM
Was plus one king deleted lol?
Yes, he has

LOL, was providing some entertainment haha! He will be back thats for sure!!!
LOL hope he's back

Haha wonder what his new name will be! +1Warrior? haha

Ricochet

the Brissie boys would know more, but unfortunately i wouldnt think Docherty would be in their best 22

Football Factory

Quote from: Ricochet on December 05, 2012, 09:39:11 PM
the Brissie boys would know more, but unfortunately i wouldnt think Docherty would be in their best 22
“He was Pick 12 last season and we didn’t get to see him, so he’s one player that we expect to see plenty of next year,” Voss said.
.. maybe as the sub ?

nrich102

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on December 06, 2012, 06:26:28 PM
.. maybe as the sub ?
I can see him in the team not as sub

Football Factory

Quote from: nrich102 on December 06, 2012, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on December 06, 2012, 06:26:28 PM
.. maybe as the sub ?
I can see him in the team not as sub
Hope so .. i guess we all want to see that name in the riound 1 teams first   :)