DOB: 18/10/1987

Height: 188cm

Weight: 81kg

Draft Selection: #52

AFL Club: Melbourne

FanPlanner Price: $94,200

Position: Midfield

Thoughts
Jones is a mature age recruit for the Demons at 25, he has previously won best and fairests and premierships for South Croydon in Suburban footy, then played for Labrador (Qld) and last year moved down to play in the VFL for Box Hill. He is a tall midfielder with a big tank who excels as a run and carry player capable of hitting the scoreboard, he also has great hands from the stoppage. With the demons in need of some more midfield depth, Jones is a genuine chance for round 1, possibly filling the role Cale Morton could never live up to as a tall outside midfielder. Coach Mark Neeld highly rates Jones’s chances of stepping into AFL football straight away. “He’s got a great tank and no matter where he’s played - he’s got a background of playing really well in successful clubs ... At 25, he can play straight away. He’s a little bit older and a bit more mature.”

Verdict
A massive chance to play round 1, at a bargain basement price he is one of those mature age recruits you always have to look out for in the draft, he could be a gem if he gets the opportunity. Has played plenty of senior football and is ready to make an impact immediately, Neeld says he’s right to play straight away, seriously consider as a great cash cow if he is named for round one.

Prediction
Will play plenty of games, 72.

blewy09

Yeah? Have you seen him play?  Dees do need mids too.

If he can get an avg like that he would be just as good as a new gun kid.

I'd imagine most would feel safer getting the typical top 10 premium kids instead though.

shorty3264

I've watched some VFL highlights of him, looks to have lovely hands and a fluent kick.
Well yeh thats the thing, Melbourne are a struggling club and in need of mature bodies in their, senior footy is always a sign to look out for.
Yeh true, the top 10 picks are slightly more expensive.
One to keep an eye on.

MGK1

Good right up, any vfl statistics available?
Could be a damaging player just not an accumulator.

shorty3264

Played 17 matches in the VFL, one of the matches his stats were'nt recoreded so these are his stats for 16 of them mate.
Averaged 19 disposals, 4.3 marks, 2.3 tackles and kick 7.6. He did have some quiet matches, but had some great games topping 19+ disposals in 9 of his matches. Had a hot patch from rounds 11-15, averaging 25 touches, 3 tackles and kicked 5.2 in this time.

blewy09

Quote from: shorty3264 on December 02, 2012, 05:26:43 PM
Played 17 matches in the VFL, one of the matches his stats were'nt recoreded so these are his stats for 16 of them mate.
Averaged 19 disposals, 4.3 marks, 2.3 tackles and kick 7.6. He did have some quiet matches, but had some great games topping 19+ disposals in 9 of his matches. Had a hot patch from rounds 11-15, averaging 25 touches, 3 tackles and kicked 5.2 in this time.

Version 2 of James Magner?

kilbluff1985

thanks shorty ;)

i reckon he is better then Magner

locked if named round 1 so cheap

shorty3264

Quote from: blewy09 on December 02, 2012, 05:31:39 PM
Quote from: shorty3264 on December 02, 2012, 05:26:43 PM

Version 2 of James Magner?
yeh quite possibly, Magner ended up being a tagger after racking it up in the first two rounds, were Jones is more of an offensively player. Good for scoring.

shorty3264

The_Captain

Who the eff is MAtt jones?

None the less... If he gets a game, and at that price... Could well be in my side seeing melbournes lack of decent players..

quinny88

Quote from: noto07 on December 02, 2012, 09:40:57 PM

None the less... If he gets a game, and at that price... Could well be in my side seeing melbournes lack of decent players..

I had never heard of him either tbh but he sounds like a guy to keep an eye on over pre season and nab cup. Thanks for the write up shorty

shorty3264

Quote from: quinny88 on December 03, 2012, 02:26:02 PM
Quote from: noto07 on December 02, 2012, 09:40:57 PM

I had never heard of him either tbh but he sounds like a guy to keep an eye on over pre season and nab cup. Thanks for the write up shorty
no worries :)

JamSainter

Jesus, I'll have quite a few Dees players next year if my plan hold true (which they wont ) :P
Terlich, Pedersen, Viney and Jones!

The_Captain

Adamant

Good smokey! will keep a close eye on NAB form.