8 starting midfielders requires a slight adjustment to guns and rookies theory

Started by Hawks_1976, December 01, 2012, 03:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks_1976

Its well recognised that midfielders score higher than other positions on the ground.
Around 15 - 20 mids last year averaged over 110.
Everyone's objective will be to get to 8 starting midfielders with this average or more.
I'm not so sure a pure guns and rookies theory will work here.
Now that two extra staring midfiellders are required, a greater amount of cash will be needed to obtain pure premiums.
The additional trades will allow for cash generation, however I think its is worth taking a risk on some midpricers in your midfield.
If they breakout, that's great, if not, the amount of cash required to upgrade them is far less.
Interested to see what structures people are considering.
I'm currently looking at 4 premiums, 2 midpricers with breakout potential, 4 rookie cash cows, around a $3.8M spend.
I'm also looking at the concept of starting some DPPs in the midfield and shifting them fwd or back when I upgrade.

PICCOLLO

I agree that more mids changes optimal tactics but more midpricers means less starting guns.  The role of midpricers (imo) is to save ppl starting rookies on the park who wont score well.  Luke ball is worth a start in mids but few others. 
When you have a midpricer, they make less money than a rookie and although they can allow you to jump to a fallen premium quickly, a guy with rookies will probably end up with a better team due to far more net profit.
I think 8 mids changes your upgrade focus and good teams will likely field rookies only or mainly in midfield.  They'll then focus on mid upgrades as a priority.
Resting players etc. puts an emphasis on having mpp but why put a bartel in mids when he can hold a fwd spot and a more reliable mid rookie (eg. Viney)could be on rather than a questionable fwd rookie?

Jroo

Now that it's a 8 man midfield, I reckon you can afford to take risks.
Here I done a article on it yesterday, check it out and I hope it helps!
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,69718.msg937474.html#msg937474