Main Menu

Big winners of the 2012 NAB AFL Draft?

Started by Toga, November 29, 2012, 10:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Hey guys, just out of interest I thought I'd run a poll asking who you think were the big winners of last week's National Draft. I'll give everyone two votes, so vote away as to who you think were the big winners of the draft, and will leave the poll open for 10 days before I post the results. I'd also love to hear why you think the team(s) you voted should be so happy with their picks!

Toga

To start off, I voted Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs.

Port look as though they have picked up 3 quality players in Wines, Clurey and Shaw with the added bonus that they seem to have been drafted at a pick below their worth. Wines, who could have been picked up inside the top 4 will add grunt to the Power's midfield which they so desperately needed, while Clurey will add depth to Port's rebuilding back lines and Shaw could well prove a fearsome attack with Butcher and Schulz in years to come.

The Bulldogs look to have drafted some great young talent in Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat and Hunter, all of whom will add depth to the Dog's midfield which desperately needed an injection of talent. Stringer was one of my favourite prospects of this year's draft, and the Dogs look to have obtained an absolute jet with their pick 5. While I always thought the Doggies would have a good draft, given the picks they held, they definitely had a good trading period.

....with Collingwood a very close third in getting Grundy and Kennedy, will be an amazing duo in years to come.

Justin Bieber

I think the Bulldogs will come last in the comp ths year...  :-X

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: whatlez on November 29, 2012, 10:27:37 PM

dat relevance

kilbluff1985

reckon GWS did the best

then it gets tricky

think it's to hard to split WB/PORT/PIES/MELB for second really

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 29, 2012, 10:28:35 PM
Quote from: whatlez on November 29, 2012, 10:27:37 PM

dat relevance

I actually read this completely wrong... lol

But yeah good choices. Melbourne went alright too.

quinny88

Dont really think this can be judged until they have played can it?
We all say this guy and that guy are guns but no one knows who will play out the full season and be an instant star or who will be a slow developer or never make it.

My initial reaction was that Collingwood did really well considering they got Grundy at pick 18 but who knows, Grundy might turn out to be a dud, unlikely but possible. When Richmond picked Tambling over Buddy no one raised an eyebrow until a couple of years in when they realised he was a dud. 2-3 years into their career everyone can then say Hawthorn did the best from that draft but until some water has gone under the bridge its all just a sit and wait game.
The AFL has seen some of the best juniors in the country be chewed up and spat out pretty quickly and it has also made some guys that were told they will never make it turn into superstars of the game. We'll wait and see who did the best. Ill make my initial judgement half way through the season and then again in a couple of years time to see whos still standing and who's making a name for themselves.

Mailman the 2nd

This can only really be answered in 10 years time

ossie85

Giants are bound to have picked up a star, and I reckon Collingwood did well also. The Pies have a history of turning late draft picks into stars, they should be able to develop Grundy and Kennedy into stars also.

Nige

Collingwood and Port for me.

Collingwood got Grundy and Kennedy who not only work together well but are both great players and we all know that Grundy's slide was a surprise and that he could have gone at nearly any pick before the one he was drafted with.

Port did very well. Pouncing on Wines because he lasted until 5 was good, but then getting guys like Clurey and Shaw was a verty good effort.

CrowsFan

Nails

Toga

Ziplock

I've gone GWS and sydney- GWS are obvious, but honestly with the picks they had, I think sydney did the next best after that.

Justin Bieber

Yeah I recon Collingwood, picked up the best talent.